Skip to main content

Topic: Older U320 Retarder Bracket Issue (Read 801 times) previous topic - next topic

Older U320 Retarder Bracket Issue
This issue has good pictures of old and new bracket, with welded supports on new bracket.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/922563977854351/permalink/2971236492987079/?sfnsn=mo

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.
  • Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 12:15:01 am by Jack Lewis

Re: Older U320 Retarder Bracket Issue
Reply #1
These were my photo's, another forum member had theirs fall off is the way I became aware of the issue. Researching the ol' mighty forum I found this very old post regarding the "known" issue. After checking mine and finding the shelf weld was...

Reply #2
Great info. Thanks. I wasn't aware of this problem. Just finished another project this AM (door latch kits), and then put the coach up on ramps/safety blocks to repair leaking fan motors, install a wax capsule controller, and a new floating...

Reply #3
repair leaking fan motors, install a wax capsule controller, and a new floating bundle trans cooler

Greg

When you get around to it would like to hear more about these projects

Reply #4
We've a '98 320 and will have this bracket inspected come fall. What is the recommended fix? A reweld? new bracket from FT?, or can existing bracket be bolted to the frame?

Reply #5
Add the gussets and it will be just like the new style.

Reply #6
I'll instruct the service guys to do just that. I'd be chagrined and forlorn without that transmission retarder.

Reply #7
Took a looksee at our accumulator bracket this PM. It has gussets. Not sure if it's a factory replacement, or private "fix", but the horizontal welds on both gussets have stress cracks running the entire length. Dunno if I would have noticed this...

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
Jack, Bill. I saw your post this morning and checked the coach during the day and although there are no cracks in mine it will be coming off this week for rework. The bracket was only welded on one side and unsupported. Will have more than enough...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
Thanks for this post I will check mine.

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
Mister Ed "Might as well trim the fat while it's off; plenty of extra steel/sharp corners on there that's not doing anything"
Everything I own Gets fat, fat, fat. I go to great lengths to loose a couple ounces here and there but it always gets...

Reply #11
When you get around to it would like to hear more about these projects
Will do. Here's the link to the trans cooler project: Rocore Floating Bundle Trans Cooler On the Cheap
I was going to...

Reply #12
Would like some pictures of the failing part. How many miles on your coach?
Scott
I'll post some before and after pics, once I get to repairing it. Just over 100k miles.

Reply #13
1998 thru 2007 Cummins 450 or 500 HP M11 or ISM.
From Bill's orig pdf of Foretravel bulletin.

Bill's orig picture of before and after bracket.

Reply #14
Took a couple of pics this AM. As can be seen, the cracks are obvious, the welds are poor (not my first choice of descriptive words), and gussets are puny, compared to what Bill posted.

Reply #15
All the welds visible look shaky at best, the long bead looks distinctly like downhand wirefeed, no bite, no strength.
IMEO

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #16
Greg, mine does not have the webs. Also without removing it feels like the backside is unwelded. Lazy slackers. I think there is enough room to extend the web to the second set of attach bolts on the top side and easily weld the inside 20% on...

Reply #17
Scott where do I look for this bracket?

Reply #18
Scott where do I look for this bracket?
On a 1999 320 the hydraulic accumulator is curbside adjacent to the bell housing. the accumulator is mounted on what looks to be about 1/4...

Reply #19
The coach won't leave the yard until that is addressed. Thanks for the warning on this problem.

Reply #20
Bill, looking at the third photo it's hardly welded on the front, I would guess that if you were to remove it it should come off very easily, frankly I can't believe it's still there! When I had my fabrication shop if anyone had laid a bead that...

Reply #21
Bi

......looking at the third photo it's hardly welded on the front, I would guess..... I can't believe it's still there! When I had my fabrication shop if anyone had laid a bead that bad and...

Reply #22
Bill, looking at the third photo it's hardly welded on the front, I would guess that if you were to remove it it should come off very easily, frankly I can't believe it's still there! When I...

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #23
Started and finished

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #24
Checked mined today and the weld is OK but I will pull it and do it right.