Skip to main content
Topic: Residential Refrigerator Conversion (Read 712 times) previous topic - next topic

Residential Refrigerator Conversion

I have bought a Magic Chef HMDR1000BE Residential Refrigerator from Home Depot for $421.  It is 10.1 cu. ft. top freezer.  My old Domedic RM4804 literally slid out the door of my 95 U-240 on a piece of plywood.  The new frig rolled on a piece of plywood from a dodge ram P/U tailgate thru the door into MH.  I had to cut one piece of plywood(15 1/2" x 23") and use one piece(11 1/2" x 23") that came out, two(2)  2"x2"x26".  I had/wanted to raise the floor of the compartment rather than have a large opening at top of frig.  The new frig now fits the opening and compartment perfectly.  I took out the 3/4" styrofoam on both sides of the compartment.  I learnt TODAY that the sides of the new refrig. gets warm so that is why the refrig is made to be free standing.  It needs space on all sides.  I think I will be happy, DW likes it and if it keeps running, life will be happy!

Thank You Jesus for a good wife, it was her/Brenda and I that lifted the 102 lbs. about 15" to slid it into opening.
Pat/Blue Angel
1995 U240 36ft
MC# 16511
Build# 4653

Re: Residential Refrigerator Conversion

Reply #1
Update:
Pat/Blue Angel
1995 U240 36ft
MC# 16511
Build# 4653

Reply #4
Update:
  It is amazing what and when you learn, but I learnt why it is a free standing refrigerator.  Both sides of the frig gets pretty warm.  I took the 3/4" styrofoam out of the compartment on the sides.  Still have roof vent and space above frig.  Hope it has enough space, I think so, but I will monitor.

I have now ran the frig on normal electricity, 119 vac and it drew .57 amps or 75 watts.  I also ordered a new pure sine wave inverter.  The one I ran the frig on is a modified sine wave.  I did notice that the top of the compressor is noticeable hotter when running on the modified sine wave inverter.  That can't be good.

Pat,
Pat/Blue Angel
1995 U240 36ft
MC# 16511
Build# 4653

Reply #5
I've heard of wives helping refrigerator replacement but never heard of a time when cross words weren't said by one or both.. most times both. Looks good.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #6
Takes 1 day to do the swap and 3 to get over po.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #7
pthurman48
I am thinking about replacing my norcold for a residential frig for the add capacity.  Do you still like your magic chef, and did removing the foam boards give adequate ventilation on the sides?  Have you figured out your average wattage used by frig?
2002 36' U270 Foretravel

Reply #8
I am happy with the magic chef.  I run it on a dedicated pure sine wave inverter laying in the back of frig.    The compressor stays warn to touch drawing .67 ac amps.  The frig stays at 30 degs.  More space than the Domedic rm4804.  I do need a door lock, it has came open on the rode, large items in the door makes it worse.

Pat
Pat/Blue Angel
1995 U240 36ft
MC# 16511
Build# 4653

Reply #9
Are you thinking about a2'x5' 10cuft fridge? If so make the change for safety and the ability to have hard ice cream, but the internal space is only slightly larger. But absolutely worth it.

If residential fridge has coils mounted on backside, there is no reason to have extra air space on sides. We have rear coils and our Whirlpool2'x5' fridge works great and has been in service for the last 9 years.

There are lots of posting and our install pictures are available.

Reply #10
Are you thinking about a 2'x5' 10cuft fridge? If so make the change for safety and the ability to have hard ice cream, but the internal space is only slightly larger. But absolutely worth it.

If residential fridge has coils mounted on backside, there is no reason to have extra air space on sides. We have rear coils and our Whirlpool2'x5' fridge works great and has been in service for the last 9 years.

There are lots of posting and our install pictures are available.

That is the size that will fit in the original opening.  A residential will give me 2.5 cubic feet of extra space, but in reality will give me more because with the absorption frig you can't really pack it full because you need room around sides for air to circulate or top will be cold and the bottom warm.  It will also be safer which is an added bonus.  Surprisingly, our NorCold has always kept ice-cream rock hard.
2002 36' U270 Foretravel

Reply #11
We installed a 10.x cuft Whirlpool counter depth like Barry mentions. We also (with Rogers help) installed a dedicated inverter system. We have rear coils and limited the exterior air circulation in the rear of the compartment. We had to router the top of the original opening and place a small flat sheet of aluminum to strengthen the base that we bolted to. We bought a Door latch from a Thor distributor TOTAL VALUE RV ELKHART INDIANA 1-574-262-4460. part number tfm3293 lock refer travel, 16cf & 18cf, steel, pc black. The lock is only $7.41 with shipping total of $21.03. Worth every cent. to us.

I would add a heads up to determine how much of the capacity is due to the door. Our door sticks out a bit more than the other installs we have seen. My wife loves it. YMMV.

Alan & Gerri Ortiz
1996 U295 36 ft.
"Rocinante"
Hartwell, Georgia
1999 Subaru Forester
Build No. 4957 Motorcader 17399