Skip to main content
Topic: Generator Box Reconditioned (Read 1699 times) previous topic - next topic

Generator Box Reconditioned

My generator box insulation was failing horribly, the deterioration was to the point I told the DW no more trips until it is repaired, guess what just became priority #1. My plan was to completely remove the generator, thank goodness for a tractor with a forklift attachment, remove the old insulation and use a self adhesive thermal acoustical product of some sort. I chose Design Engineering 050130 Boom Mat Under-Hood Thermal Acoustic Lining, 32" x 54" x .75" It took 3 sheets.
Amazon.com: Design Engineering 050130 Boom Mat Under-Hood Thermal Acoustic...
I called and spoke to the technical department about this use and what they recommended for taping the seems and edges , they suggested their cool tape or their Reflect-A-Cool Heat Reflective Adhesive Backed Sheets, 36" x 48" which I chose to go with so I would have more flexibility in sizing.
Amazon.com: Design Engineering 010412 Reflect-A-Cool Heat Reflective...
While I had the 10KW Powertech Isuzu generator out I replaced the following parts:
From Diesel Parts Direct, thermostat Part number 1Z8971606540, thermostat gasket part number 1Z8943259561
From Amazon,  waterpump belt Gates 7335
Amazon.com: Gates- 7335 Belt: Automotive
From Power Tech, 4ea motor mounts part number 09MNTRED, Radiator Cap part number 03CR271
In addition I had the generator slide and frame powder coated and changed the Isuzu coolant.
Disclaimer: I chose the insulating product based solely on reviews of various web sources and since I just installed it I can't speak to the longevity or performance at this time. I will say it was very easy to work with and once the adhesive contacted the metal it was stuck.

Bill and Marsha Kuykendall
1999 Foretravel U320 36' CAI
Build Number 5446
2006 Lexus GX 470

Re: Generator Box Reconditioned

Reply #1
Nice job!  Mine was done by the PO.  Do you notice a reduction in noise?  I find mine is fairly loud and would like to find a way to cut the noise.  Not a problem while driving but noisy when parked.
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #2
Do you notice a reduction in noise?  I find mine is fairly loud and would like to find a way to cut the noise.  Not a problem while driving but noisy when parked.
I didn't think there was any reduction. The original stuff was pretty heavy duty, I was amazed of the weight of the old stuff. I ran the genny 5hrs today to make sure the coolant system was free of air and full, still pretty loud inside however the coach was raised and had safety stands sitting on the rails if that mattered.
Build Number 5446
2006 Lexus GX 470

Reply #3
That thing looks sweet, Bill. Great job on the detail stuff.
jor

Reply #4
Bill,

Beautiful (and thorough) job.  I have the same coach, only 32 coaches younger on the assembly line.  I recently tore out the old failing insulation and replaced it with new.  I did not remove the generator and clean the compartment up as nicely as you did or replace the motor mounts. 

I noticed two things from your pictures.  First, I see you have a blank plate on the front of the electronics box.  I assume all the guts were moved over to the first bay on the driver side.  Are the two big (45 or 50 amp) circuit breakers over there as well?  Secondly, I notice that, like me, you did not replace the overhead light.  Did you remove the 12 volt power wire and if so, how far back up under the coach did you go? 

Richard
Jan & Richard Witt
1999 U-320  36ft WTFE
Build Number: 5478 Motorcade: 16599
2008 Roadtrek Adventurous RS Sprinter
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Jan: NO5U, Richard:KA5RIW
The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #5
When I was removing the carpet yesterday Foretravel had also installed thin soundproofing under the carpet for the drivers area. It was decomposing and I removed. My generator has the box but the soundproofing in it was also decomposing. I pulled it out last month. Bill you need to take a break finding more stuff for me to do. Nice job on your by the way.
Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
If you're going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
DEGOIWKY
Don't ever get old, it will kill you
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #6
Bill,

Beautiful (and thorough) job.  I have the same coach, only 32 coaches younger on the assembly line.  I recently tore out the old failing insulation and replaced it with new.  I did not remove the generator and clean the compartment up as nicely as you did or replace the motor mounts. 

I noticed two things from your pictures.  First, I see you have a blank plate on the front of the electronics box.  I assume all the guts were moved over to the first bay on the driver side.  Are the two big (45 or 50 amp) circuit breakers over there as well?  Secondly, I notice that, like me, you did not replace the overhead light.  Did you remove the 12 volt power wire and if so, how far back up under the coach did you go? 

Richard
Thanks Richard! Yes the electrical box had been modified by a PO, it contains the large breaker, voltage regulator and what appeared to be a reset button, I'm not sure what it does. The blank plate is actually mounted on a box with a air vent in the side.
The 12 volt wire is still there, I plan to install a LED strip light in the near future.
Build Number 5446
2006 Lexus GX 470

Reply #7
Good job.  Tractors come in handy (I used mine to remove radiator), but I as able to disassemble the cabinet when I replaced the insulation a few years ago. 
2000 U320 mid entry  #5688
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8

Reply #8
Great job. On the to do list this winter in Texas. Had my Generator fault yesterday, due to high temp I believe. Can't believe they didn't put in any gauges on these expensive items. Would be nice to monitor them from the coach. I have a big roll of Sound down Marine insulation in my bay waiting to go into the genny and engine compartment soon.
How much did it cost you to have the slide powder coated?I also need some welding done to the drivers side part that locks it in place.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #9
Come on, you just took a photo of a new unit as it was being built. Can't fool all of us!

Really nice job. Bet it took a while. +++++

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #10
Don't forget,if you have the generator out,nows the time to change the end bearing,not that hard a job.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #11
Bill & Marsha,
Nice Job!  A lot of work, but worth it.  We did our generator a few years ago when we replaced the pancake (generator head).  We also powder coated the tray in black.  Now for the engine area.  The goal is to make it fire proof as much as possible.
John & Carmen
John & Carm Morales

"We travel not to go anywhere, but to just go.  We travel for travel's sake.  Our great desire is to move."

Reply #12
Bill & Marsha,
Nice Job!  A lot of work, but worth it.  We did our generator a few years ago when we replaced the pancake (generator head).  We also powder coated the tray in black.  Now for the engine area.  The goal is to make it fire proof as much as possible.
John & Carmen
Looks good John, I almost went with black as well! My engine bay needs redone as well, haven't decide on the product to use, fire proof is good also want to reduce heat to the bedroom.
Build Number 5446
2006 Lexus GX 470

Reply #14
Don't forget,if you have the generator out,nows the time to change the end bearing,not that hard a job.
Well I didn't forget however I didn't do it either, guess I didn't do enough research on all the items to square away when having the genny out.
Build Number 5446
2006 Lexus GX 470

Reply #15
Bill,

After seeing your pristine motor mounts, I have mount envy!

I have a quiet box and replaced all the insulation without removing the generator. Any chance of replacing the motor mounts without removing the generator? I think I might be able to get to the front ones; would that help?

Thanks,

Trent
Trent and Jean Eyler
2000  U295  4003  WTFE  ISC  350
Build#5603 MC#17385

Reply #16
I paid $150 also for sandblasting and powder coating.
John M.
John & Carm Morales

"We travel not to go anywhere, but to just go.  We travel for travel's sake.  Our great desire is to move."

Reply #17
One further question Bill.  Did you have to replace any of the bearings in the roll-out tray? 
Jan & Richard Witt
1999 U-320  36ft WTFE
Build Number: 5478 Motorcade: 16599
2008 Roadtrek Adventurous RS Sprinter
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Jan: NO5U, Richard:KA5RIW
The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #18
One further question Bill.  Did you have to replace any of the bearings in the roll-out tray? 
I did not, cleaned them up really well and lubricated the best I could, they were really in pretty good shape once cleaned, they aren't used that much.
Build Number 5446
2006 Lexus GX 470

Reply #19
Bill,

After seeing your pristine motor mounts, I have mount envy!

I have a quiet box and replaced all the insulation without removing the generator. Any chance of replacing the motor mounts without removing the generator? I think I might be able to get to the front ones; would that help?

Thanks,

Trent, I'm not sure about your set up, my mounts have a 2 1/2" bolt through the center that sticks up through the generator feet an inch or two, the genny would need to be lifted to clear the bolt. Does your genny have excess vibration or have visible defects, if not I'm not sure I would go through the trouble and expense to replace.

Build Number 5446
2006 Lexus GX 470

Reply #20
Does your genny have excess vibration or have visible defects,
Bill,

I replaced the insulation because of the total failure of the OEM insulation. I removed the quiet box panels and installed 1" of the Sounddown sound barrier with two layers of foam sandwiching a hard vinyl barrier.

My DW is still complaining about the noise from the generator, so I am going to try to add 2" of the Sounddown on the outside of the quiet box (where it will fit). This will make it about as quiet as I can make it, although new engine mounts would probably help with the vibration sound.

Trent

Trent and Jean Eyler
2000  U295  4003  WTFE  ISC  350
Build#5603 MC#17385

Reply #21
Our non in box gen is fairly noticeable outside.  Minor hum inside.
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #22
Great job Bill & Marha!
Looks brand new.
Frank & Daisy
NO LONGER  "looking for the perfect Foretravel
36' or less non slide preferred."  She has been found and is ours.
2003 U320 36' non slide  Unit 6103
Cummins ISM 450
Allison 4000MH

Reply #23
Cleaned and soaked the tray bearings in oil,good as new.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #24
100% Sweet - Nice COVID Project!
Prior 2003 U295  40ft  400Hp -Sold
2020 F350 Tremor - Sold
2021 Bundutec Roadrunner - Sold
2017 Airstream Classic - Sold that POS
2017 F250 - Sold
2019 Sprinter Van - Sold