Skip to main content
Topic: Shock absorbers (Read 893 times) previous topic - next topic

Shock absorbers

I just completed my replacement of shock absorbers with the Koni FSBs.  I started out with the two in front of the rear wheels when we took the wheels off to replace brake pads some months ago.  I put in the other six this week.  Six of the shocks were shoe horned in between a cabinet wall and air bag which made access extremely difficult.  The rear most two shocks were easier to get to, but were behind the height adjustment valves.
The best advise I can give is to replace the shocks if you change out your air bags.  It will save you a lot in labor, if you have someone else do it.  I have the tools and garage, so it was possible for me, but not nearly as much fun as I thought it would be.
2000 U320 mid entry  #5688
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8

Re: Shock absorbers

Reply #1
Thanks for the info where did you order your shocks from. I have been trying everywhere with no luck . Planning on changing them contacted Koni they give me a contact number but no luck it seems like everyone is out of stock. We are in Canada so makes it harder.
Rick & Hilda looking forward to full- timing one day for now couple of months at a time
1999 U270 3602
Built number  5530.  Feb 1999            Motorcade  number 18438
8.3 Cummins Allison six speed with brake  retarder
Purchased Nov 28 2019

Reply #2
Thanks for the info where did you order your shocks from. I have been trying everywhere with no luck . Planning on changing them contacted Koni they give me a contact number but no luck it seems like everyone is out of stock. We are in Canada so makes it harder.

8805 1010 Koni Gold FSD RV Shock Foretravel Motorhomes - Shockwarehouse.com
Doug W.
96 36' U270 CSGI #4946
04 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
PNW

Reply #4
My January project. Thanks for  blowing my bubble that it would be a easy install...lol.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #5
Maybe a non slide '99 is different I had no problem doing all 8 shocks without removing anything. Used a 1/2" drive air gun and 1 1/8" socket and 1 1/8" box wrench. Maybe my reach is longer I sat on the ground and was able to get the wrench in place and then gunned the bolt.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #7
I've found that an inexpensive 1 1/8 box end wrench is commonly available at walmart etc.  It's a trailer ball wrench, nice long and beefy, seven bucks.  That and an impact wrench and let the fun begin!
"Not so  long ago we were a nation of risk takers, riding five million pounds of  thrust straight into space."  Joe Gresh
Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS