Skip to main content
Topic: Coolant & Transmission Temperature Gauges (Read 841 times) previous topic - next topic

Coolant & Transmission Temperature Gauges

8.3 Cummins Mechanical

Has anyone replaced their coolant & transmission temp gauges? I find the stock gauges are hard to see and these are the two that I monitor closely in mountain driving. I was thinking about adding a couple more gauges like the two in the photo (in the same location). Anyhow, do you just use the same sender location and disable the dash gauges? Thanks.
jor

Re: Coolant & Transmission Temperature Gauges

Reply #1
Most gauges have to have the matching sender. Usually sold together. The difference in a few ohms would throw it off.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #2
Most gauges have to have the matching sender

Sure. However, I am wondering about an alternate location so both gauges will work. Just curious if anyone else has done so.
jor

Reply #3
I understand how important they are, but I found them not only unreadable (especially under way) but inaccurate as well.  I would never go on a trip without the Silverleaf.
2000 U320 mid entry  #5688
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8

Reply #4
If you are just going to use the original wires and the new gauges and senders, that would work fine. leaving the old gauges in the dash for cosmetic purposes.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #5
Mechanical motor no silverleaf
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #6
Just know that that molding is the wire tray for wires going from the dash area to overhead compartments, so adding more gauges in that location will complicate future electrical service in that area.
Regards,
Brett

'99 42' Foretravel Xtreme
'14 Brown Motorsports Stacker
'05 Chevy SSR
'02 BMW R1150R

Reply #7
Just know that that molding is the wire tray for wires going from the dash area to overhead compartments

Yea, thanks. I'm aware of that. Been in there several times. I always label new wiring and document the change for the next guy.

Sounds like no one has done what I am considering. I think I'll just do as craneman suggested and install my new senders in place of the old ones. I may have two extras left that I can use or I'll just run new wires. Thanks to all.
jor

Reply #9
are you just looking for twin gauge housing?
No. I was not clear in my wording. My question concerned only the gauges themselves. I plan on using the same housings as in my photo. I will just have a stack of four instead of two. Still have good view of my convex mirror.

I was just looking for advice on adding temp gauges. My preference would be to add the two gauges and leave the two dash gauges operational. Haven't heard from anyone who has done that so I'll probably just install new gauges and have non-operational dash gauges.
jor

Reply #10
I would think you could install a tee in the engine block to accommodate the two different temp sending units.  I am not sure how the trans temp sender is arranged but maybe the same there?

Mike
Mike and Mari
'98  36 270 WTFE
Build #5272
Club #17504

Reply #11
Jor.  I'm hoping that you find a way to add the additional gages and keep ALL of them operational  cause  that's the way I would prefer to do it.      Wouldn't be the first thing in the coach to have redundancy.   
Robert and Susan Moe Sr.
 1995 36' 280 WTBI 8.3 3060r
 1200 watts on the roof, 720 Ah of lithium's
 Build # 4637. Motorcade # 17599
        FMCA  # 451505
        18  Wrangler JLUR

Reply #12
OP here. I added coolant and trans temp gauges. I tried but was unsuccessful in retaining the functionality of the old gauges. Initially, I installed a T at both sensor locations. They all worked but the OEM gauges read low. I ended up using the new sensors only in the original sensor locations. Good to go.

Gotta say. Buying a VMS is a lot easier!
jor

Reply #13
You think you were an engineer or something.  Nice way to get the needed data
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #14
I tried but was unsuccessful in retaining the functionality of the old gauges.

Quoting myself here. I plumbed the after market gauge with the OEM but was 7 degrees off. Set it up differently and got close at 3 degrees. Finally (slapping forehead) I installed an inline gizmo so the new sender would be in the coolant flow. Now I have the OEM and my add-on. This is the way to go. I don't know why this never occurred to me. I think we can attribute it to tunnel vision.
jor

Reply #15
What wiring did you use to get signal up to the front ??  I thought that was half the battle?
Robert and Susan Moe Sr.
        FMCA  # 451505
        18  Wrangler JLUR

Reply #16
What wiring did you use to get signal up to the front ?

I pulled new wires for this gauge and my transmission temp and used extras for the pyro and boost.
jor

Reply #17
So I'm assuming that your using the new gages with new or existing unused wire.  And the oem gages are still operational with oem wire.
  Sorry to be so dense on this.

It's like the Army. You put the laziest guy in the hardest job, and he's going to find the easiest way.
Robert and Susan Moe Sr.
        FMCA  # 451505
        18  Wrangler JLUR

Reply #18
So I'm assuming that your using the new gages with new or existing unused wire.  And the oem gages are still operational with oem wire.

Wires: I wasn't clear in my description. I wanted to add the coolant and transmission temperature gauges because I find the dash gauges difficult to see and also, due to their design, also difficult to determine exact readings. I had used up my OEM extra wires already so I pulled new wires for these two gauges. 

Coolant Gauge: My original post above shows the new sensor installed in-line in the heater hose which comes right off the block where the factory sensor is located. Both work.

Transmission Gauge: I tried using both the OEM and new sensors together by "T"ing them but then both gave me low temp readings. I ended up replacing the OEM sensor with the sensor for my new gauge. The OEM gauge now is deader than a door nail.

This thread is only useful to those of us with mechanical engines so 1998 and newer 8.3s and at least 1995 and newer M11 owners can just simply plug into their data port and get these and many other data.
jor

Reply #19
Thanks James for clearing that up for me.
Robert and Susan Moe Sr.
        FMCA  # 451505
        18  Wrangler JLUR