Skip to main content
Topic: MOT "Inspection" Experience PSA (Read 2685 times) previous topic - next topic

MOT "Inspection" Experience PSA

I truly hate it that my first post here has a less than positive tone; but, I feel it could be a meaningful tidbit for this community.  .........I recently identified a used Foretravel that fit my preset parameters of size, condition, cost, etc.  As I was several states from Texas at the time and wanted "eyes on" I started searching for an inspector that would travel to Nac and came up empty handed (20/20 hindsight it looks as if I should have inquired here).  Anyhow, I'm no novice to the inspection process having purchased several vehicles on-line (and always with a satisfactory result - I believe inspections work).  In all cases the "deliverable" of an inspection is a written report describing what systems were verified, how verified, to what standard, and pass/fail.  Many times comments are added quantifying/qualifying the finding.  Anyhow, I advised MOT I was having difficulty locating an inspector and they offered that service from within for the price of $700 (which seemed market $$ to me).  So, we (I) agreed to purchase that service.  A couple of days later I received a "text" with some 8-10 deficiencies noted (light inoperative, oil drip, roof needs resealed, etc).  No words of explanation, photos, a list of what all was checked, or anything else.  I did challenge the product and many days later received an email that said "I thought so and so called contacted you".  Well please benefit from my $700 lesson learned and hold fast to a "3rd party" inspection process.  I heard great things about MOT going in.  Know that YMMV.  Travel Safe!

Re: MOT "Inspection" Experience PSA

Reply #1
Being personally on hand for an inspection is CRITICAL.  You want Keith or whoever you have inspect the coach be able to SHOW YOU what he is looking at.  Wear old clothes.

To be fair, an inspector needs to know a reasonable amount about YOU to be able to communicate.  How is he to know if you are a reasonable shade tree mechanic or don't own a screwdriver and have zero interest in ever getting your hands dirty.

How is he to know if you have the time to do reasonable "shade tree skill" maintenance over the next year or are leaving that afternoon for a 6 month trip with no place to work on it.

Communication by remote on something as complex as a diesel pusher is NOT a simple process.

And, I hope that this kind of communication goes on between the inspector and any potential buyer. 
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #2
Wow,
I agree with Texas Shriner.
$700 dollars spent and that's what you got. I paid 600.00 for my inspection which took 6 hrs to complete and included 5 different fluid samples for analysis. A written report was included and lots of photos. I was there and asked lots of questions because it was my first RV.
I found the inspector on line at NRVIA and when I spoke to him I asked about his background in the RV world.
Frank & Daisy
NO LONGER  "looking for the perfect Foretravel
36' or less non slide preferred."  She has been found and is ours.
2003 U320 36' non slide  Unit 6103
Cummins ISM 450
Allison 4000MH

Reply #3
Personally I would never buy a coach without an in person visit with Keith or Brett on hand. It's too big and too complicated of a purchase to not see it in person.

TS, I suggest you call MOT on the phone and express your dissatisfaction. I'm sure they will resolve it.
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains

Reply #4
I have had the honor to experience an inspection by Brett Wolfe, it is beyond thorough, with plenty of explanations, clear communications, it takes time and yes, wear some old clothes, if you wish to fully experience everything that is being pointed out. Take notes or video the session, it is a learning experience. Thanks Brett.
Charles
W5CRY
1997 Dynasty - Sold

Reply #5
Not that it matters now.  This "inspection" was a way to "vet" the coach condition before reversing direction and traveling the 900+ miles for a first hand inspection.  The end result was the same I guess as it allowed me to "vet" MOT in the process (I'll likely not return to that well).  This is just a friendly reminder to everyone - understand the "deliverable" prior to agreeing to the process.  $700 for a small texted burn down list is unethical in my opinion.  Regardless, I'm $700 light and will be watching the classifieds. 

Reply #6
Classified section here seems to always have some nice coaches lately. Good luck in your search
Scott and Kim Davidson
If you're going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
DEGOIWKY
Don't ever get old, it will kill you
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #7
TS, only because you are accepting it.

If you call the owner of MOT and expressed your dissatisfaction there is no doubt that they would fix it. MOT has built a successful business all based on providing excellent customer service.

Venting here won't fix it but calling MOT and speaking to the right person undoubtedly would.

MOT is a business like any other. This one happens to be Foretravel centric. My free advice, worth what you paid for it  :)) ... if you want a Foretravel a trip to NAC would serve you well. Meet the staff, explore the vast inventory, figure out what works for you and have them find a coach. Pay Keith or Brett to inspect it and attend the inspection and learn about these amazing coaches and how to care for them and what to avoid.

Best wishes on your search.
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains

Reply #8
TS, only because you are accepting it.

If you call the owner of MOT and expressed your dissatisfaction there is no doubt that they would fix it. MOT has built a successful business all based on providing excellent customer service.

Venting here won't fix it but calling MOT and speaking to the right person undoubtedly would.

MOT is a business like any other. This one happens to be Foretravel centric. My free advice, worth what you paid for it  :)) ... if you want a Foretravel a trip to NAC would serve you well. Meet the staff, explore the vast inventory, figure out what works for you and have them find a coach. Pay Keith or Brett to inspect it and attend the inspection and learn about these amazing coaches and how to care for them and what to avoid.

Best wishes on your search.

Thanks for the advice, I'll seriously consider contacting MOT Ownership.  Although it does kinda read that way "venting" wasn't my intent.  I DID agree to the fee, the deliverable was just not in tune with industry standards and in the end resulted in me halting further negotiations.  I was just hoping to save other potential buyers the aggravation.

Thanks

Reply #9
I had a bad experience there several years ago.  Once I explained my frustration they promised it will never happen again...and it hasn't.  They have bent over backward to take care of us.  I believe they will do the same for you. 
Rick & Rhonda
2003 U320 4220  Build #6199
Was
91 36' GV 300 Caterpillar, 92 40' U280 300 Cummins, 97 36' U295 300 Cummins, 2002
U320 450 Cummins
(Guess we're hooked)

The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #10
TS, do you have the name of the guy that did the inspection?  Don"t post it here, but if it wasn't Keith you may been mislead.  It is possible that a different mechanic at MOT decide he could make a few after hour $$ by doing inspections, that he isn't qualified to do.

It is possible that Keith dropped the ball on the inspection, but that is not the reputation he has here based on other inspections performed
1998 U320 40'
2005 GMC Yukon
MC# 17609

Reply #11
Keith is EXCELLENT in person.

I have no information on how his written/photographic skills are (either way-- as I am a strong believer in "let me look at the coach through YOUR eyes").

The few times I have been doing a coach inspection at MOT and been stumped, Keith has always had the answers.  Things like "wavy fiberglass bottom"??? Turns out that a diesel leak will dissolve the foam and as the diesel evaporated the foam "reforms" in unusual lumps, deforming the bottom FG. Only seen one of those in 22 years of Foretravel experience, but needed to know.
Brett Wolfe

Reply #12
TS;  I would contact Mr. Robertson on your dissatisfaction and he will make it right.  He certainly took care of us when we had a disagreement on things fixed, etc.  Keith charged me $500 and I was there with him over the whole coach.  However, I did not know that the bill was going to be run through MOT, as when I tried to give the money to Keith, he told me that.    Just saying...........
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #13
Thanks for the advice everyone.  I will get the contact info for Mr Robertson and engage.  Tomorrow; however, will likely involve getting out of Laura's way ;-). 

Reply #14
When I had my coach inspected by Keith several years ago it was a private arrangement between him and me.  Seems that MOT want's their cut now.  Consequently the price has risen a LOT.

Keith
Keith, Joyce & Smokey the Australian Cattle Dog
1995 U320 SE Extreme 40' WTBI Build # 4780, with a Honda CR-V hopefully still following behind.
Motorcade # 17030
FMCA # F422159

Reply #15
Is Keith with MOT?
2009 Nimbus CE
2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
 ̷2̷0̷0̷6̷ ̷C̷o̷u̷n̷t̷r̷y̷ ̷C̷o̷a̷c̷h̷ ̷I̷n̷s̷p̷i̷r̷e̷

Reply #16

Yes, he is the shop foreman.
Brett Wolfe

Reply #17
He is also highly recommended by many on this forum as someone to do a pre-purchase inspection on a Foretravel. 
Jan & Richard Witt
1999 U-320  36ft WTFE
Build Number: 5478 Motorcade: 16599
2008 Roadtrek Adventurous RS Sprinter
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Jan: NO5U, Richard:KA5RIW
The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #18
He is also highly recommended by many on this forum as someone to do a pre-purchase inspection on a Foretravel. 

I agree.
Brett Wolfe

Reply #19
Final update from me on this topic - I reached out to Motor Homes of Texas CEO on 1 September and have not received a reply.  So, I doubt I'll be dealing with MOT again.  My recommendation to all is tread carefully.  For full disclosure, I've attached the ONLY communication I received for my $700 expense.  Travel safe all!

Reply #20
Item #8.............isn't that for water runoff in the rain?

Reply #21
Take away number 8 and it cost you $100 an item,seems kind of pitiful to me.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #22
Could it be that these are the only issues found that need addressing? All other components checked good.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #23
If you haven't done so already I'd give Jason Haskins a call.  He is general manager now and should be able to help you.
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #24
I have to agree that I think $700.00 for a report like that is very poor.  I would expect a full report  such as AC's , Outside temp 92, AC 1 putting out x and AC  2  putting out Y.  I can not believe you did not get any up close pictures of the items they were talking about and other items. 

I would think if I wanted to buy the coach and asked the salesperson what the age of the tires were I would get that answer without paying $700.00

2014 ih45  (4th Foretravel owned)
 1997 36' U295 Sold in 2020, owned for 19 years
  U240 36' Sold to insurance company after melting in garage fire
    33' Foretravel on Dodge Chassis  Sold very long time ago