Skip to main content
Topic: What do you think of these 2 used motorhomes for sale? (Read 1537 times) previous topic - next topic

What do you think of these 2 used motorhomes for sale?

I am brand new to this forum and soon-to-be a first time motorhome owner. Research and friends have steered me to the following 2 used motorhomes. Knowing collectively there is tons of experience represented here, I would love any and all input.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2004-Foretravel-U320-4210-5013302537

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2004-Beaver-MARQUIS-5013116556

The U 320 has 193,000 miles. The Marquis has 98,000. My 2006 gas Toyota Highlander has nearly 325,000 on it, so I am not concerned with either of these diesel motors going for hundreds of thousands more(given proper maint.)  However, I wonder how much stress does nearly 100,000 more miles put on a coach's systems?  And how reflective should that be in the price? The U 320's owner has convinced me he has done everything necessary, on time and beyond. I believe him. And I plan on doing a pre-purchase inspection.
What kind of market is it right now for purchasing a used motorhome? Are used prices high or low right now? How are these prices?
Is it a buyer's or seller's market? How often do you find a used U 320 4210 for under the NADA low used retail price?
How difficult is it to find this kind of U 320 4210?
Any known problems particular to this year and model of U 320?
Both units have great reputations and loyal followers. I think I would be elated with either one. However,  your input, especially about the Foretravel, will probably be invaluable to me. Advice  coming from such a rich storehouse of experience, can be priceless.
I hope to hear from you. Thank you!
John Joseph Stontz
JohnJoseph

Re: What do you think of these 2 used motorhomes for sale?

Reply #1
Welcome to the forum, John. Bob will probably chime in with lots more information than I can give you, but I'll start.

The Foretravel has a factory that is still producing coaches. The Beaver is an orphan. It seems that half of Nacogdoches, TX is devoted to all things Foretravel. There is the factory there, and several other major businesses that specialize in working on them.

Right now there seem to be a lot of first-time buyers chasing new, entry-level rigs. People who actually do research and are looking for a high quality coach are still very much in the minority. So are sellers with such coaches, so it sort of evens out.

The stove, refrigerator, a/c units, etc. all come from the same factories for everyone. If you check serial numbers it is possible that the refrigerators, for example, may have come out of the factory one after the other. Same with the engines and transmissions. Same with the tires. You get the idea.

What the coach manufacturer contributes is the overall design and assembly. Back then Foretravel made their own chassis. Don't know what the Beaver has. It may well be a Freightliner, either a standard design or one made to Beaver's specs. Bob will know.

Personally, I'd go with the Foretravel just because, now that I've owned one for several years, I know that they make a high quality product and there is plenty of good service available to maintain one for many years. I've had service people tell me that they built my coach, back when they were young. They may be pulling my leg, but I don't think so.

I can't say anything about the layout of either coach, as that's entirely up to you. Something that would be a deal-breaker for me might be a must-have for you. FWIW, there are a LOT more pics of the Foretravel than of the Beaver. That ought to tell you something.

Reply #2
I would say a seller market.  I read in a Motorcade update that MOT has sold more MH this year so far then all of last year
2014 ih45  (4th Foretravel owned)
 1997 36' U295 Sold in 2020, owned for 19 years
  U240 36' Sold to insurance company after melting in garage fire
    33' Foretravel on Dodge Chassis  Sold very long time ago

Reply #3
Beautiful cabinets on the Marquis.  Last c12 I drove was fairly slow up grades.  Coach is heavy.

4:33 rear gears.  Vs 3.91 on the Foretravel. Coach probably weighs that much more.

Aluminum side wall framing versus steel on the Foretravel. 

As campgrounds are jammed the 110 gallon grey water holding on the Foretravel versus the 58 on the Marquis is important.

The Marquis has beautiful cabinets with a high gloss finish.  May show finger marks. 

I like the Marquis big one piece windshield.  And the lower wiper position at rest. 

Heavy winds and rain they lift off the windshield versus vertical mounted commercial wipers that work in bad weather and winds better.

Like I said heavy slower coach with a bigger windshield and 1/2 grey water capacity.

Prefer gel batteries versus 6 six volts on the Marquis personally.

Ultraleather(vinyl) furniture versus villa leather on the Foretravel. 

Last 45' Marquis I drove with the 525 hp cat was  50 mph up a small hill. 

Monaco(beaver) copied the unihome suspension but reversed the rear arms versus trailing beam.  May wear the bushings much more.  Especially at 100k miles

No factory support. 

Marquis is beautiful I like its toaster barn and deep counters. 

Drive the beaver up a hill that you chose versus a salesman's route. 

How patient are you?  Do you drive the mountains?

Dry camp with 58 gallons of grey water will limit you quite a bit.

First thing I would look at is if the carpet on the beaver is under the cabinets which is normal for Monaco.

If you travel post to post then the tankage is not as important. If you are patient then the slower coach up grades is not as important.

"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #4
Welcome to the forum! Being biased I would say choose the Foretravel BUT that price is awful low so I would suggest to be sure to have it inspected by someone that knows Foretravels . It's been on there a month and at that price if there was nothing wrong with it it would probably already have a new owner.. just my .02. Foretravels are fine coaches!! Good luck on your search.

Keith
The selected media item is not currently available.Keith & Jo
2003 U320T 4025 PBBS Designer series
Build 6203    Cummins 500hp
2000 U320 4010 WTFE / Build 5762 —Sold—
Motorcade #18070   
Pasadena, Texas
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-Sunset Orange pearl coat
Don't argue with a fool, people watching might not be able to tell the difference.

Reply #5
Glass dash and tons of storage.  Isn't that a 4220 instead of 4210?    It appears not to have a second lavatory in the toilet room like ours does.  It's handy but not necessary and gives more storage.

Beautiful coach if it has been maintained.  I wouldn't touch it without an inspection.  Don't ask me how I learned that lesson. 
Rick & Rhonda
2003 U320 4220  Build #6199
Was
91 36' GV 300 Caterpillar, 92 40' U280 300 Cummins, 97 36' U295 300 Cummins, 2002
U320 450 Cummins
(Guess we're hooked)

The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #6
The Beaver is a beautiful coach, but much larger than I like.  What initially drew me to the Foretravel was the rear engine access.  You really need to look at how you would get to the engine on the Beaver.  Most brands have a huge radiator in the back.  If you have a bedroom slide, you lose access from the top.  If it is difficult to get to the engine, labor costs are that much higher and can be very difficult to change a serpentine belt, for example.  There seemed to be very little information on the Beaver.  I didn't look at the U320, since I'm pretty familiar with its features.
There was very little information in the ad so I had to look up the specs.  Specifications - Beaver Marquis
From photos, it looks like the engine is accessible  56,000 pounds is pretty heavy.
2000 U320 mid entry  #5688
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8

Reply #7
The NADA prices are not a good reflection of what you will pay for a good Foretravel, any vehicle with low annual sales will have a distorted figure.
The actual price buyers are paying for a coach are based on the "underground" economy, the prices paid for a well kept coach and a looks OK coach can be nearly double.

David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
1999 U270 WTFE 36' Build # 5534
Xtreme "Lights, Stripes & Roof"
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Towd: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Life is made to enjoy, the Foretravel helps!

Reply #8
  However, I wonder how much stress does nearly 100,000 more miles put on a coach's systems?  And how reflective should that be in the price? The U 320's owner has convinced me he has done everything necessary, on time and beyond. I believe him. And I plan on doing a pre-purchase inspection.
What kind of market is it right now for purchasing a used motorhome? Are used prices high or low right now? How are these prices?

John Joseph Stontz

FWIW, and I'm counting on the U420 crowd to correct me if I'm wrong, the Foretravel Unicoach frame is very stiff so the house part doesn't flex.  Miles mean nothing to the house and the chassis is built with over the road truck components.

I have the baby Foretravel, the U225 and I know the side frames end just below my windows.  Very stiff.
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #9
Why the Foretravel has not sold in 36 days on RV trader is bothering me. Is it the mileage or the length? If is were a 40' I would trade up from my coach for that price. It was built after the slide issues were solved and has the 500 hp.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #10
I know it's 42' but if it is like my friends the back 4' is closet so actual living space is like a 38'

Keith
Motorcade #18070   
Pasadena, Texas
Don't argue with a fool, people watching might not be able to tell the difference.

Reply #11
I know it's 42' but if it is like my friends the back 4' is closet so actual living space is like a 38'

Keith
I was thinking of the length limitations of the .Gov campgrounds, very few over 40' spaces in the ones we camp at.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #12
I would like to thank each and everyone of you for responding. I appreciate all the input and hope to continue to hear from others. You have brought things to my attention that I never thought of; like: finerprints on the glossy woodwork of the Marquis, windshield wiper operation and back 4' of closet space, etc.
It's quite obvious that there is a loyal following of avid Foretravel enthusiasts. And for good reason!
It seems like a good, fair price and I am in touch with the owner.
I have chosen the Foretravel over the Marquis and I hope to be part of the Foretravel community very soon!
I will probably reach out later to find other 4220 owners.
Meanwhile, if others would like to comment, please do!
JohnJoseph

Reply #13
Welcome to the forum. When you get the new coach be sure to fill out your signature so everybody will know what you got. Also join the motorcade club, small fee that gives you discounts on parts and service at Foretravel and access to some good Foretravel exclusive get together and events.  it's a good deal all the way around

Keith
Motorcade# 18070
Motorcade #18070   
Pasadena, Texas

Reply #14
I was thinking of the length limitations of the .Gov campgrounds, very few over 40' spaces in the ones we camp at.
Some younger motorcycle friends of mine recently purchased a Thor Ventura for enough money to own a U320 because at 24' it fits in most .gov parks.
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
N1RPN

Reply #15
Rear EW bedroom, lots of interior space, tag axle.  It looks nice, worth a closer look especially for the price.  2004 was a transition year for Foretravel, money troubles, lots of folks left, production down.  A few have had quality control issues from the factory with things like hydraulic hoses.  Maybe not more than any other year but it seems so.  So look closely. It has to be very desirable to you and then set all that aside and look at the details.  190K is OK if the maint has been kept up.  TX coaches will need air bags and fuel lines long before this age. Sun is tough on them. Look very carefully at gel coat, delimitation and paint.  Find an inspector.  It is a long coach, won't fit in many places we get into with a 36' but if it fits where you want to go...

Best of luck searching.  Look at as many as you can to start the learning curve.  Lots of differences over time thatbare not immediately obvious to most.

Reply #16
If it is a 2004 42' single slide it was probably a custom order, probably like the 2003 4210.  (I see it has 2 slides) Rear bedroom, lots of interior space, tag axle.  It looks nice, worth a closer look especially for the price.  2004 was a transition year for Foretravel, money troubles, lots of folks left, production down.  A few have had quality control issues from the factory with things like hydraulic hoses.  Maybe not more than any other year but it seems so.  So look closely. It has to be very desirable to you and then set all that aside and look at the details.  190K is OK if the maint has been kept up.  TX coaches will need air bags and fuel lines long before this age. Sun is tough on them. Look very carefully at gel coat, delimitation and paint.  Find an inspector.  It is a long coach, won't fit in many places we get into with a 36' but if it fits where you want to go...

Best of luck searching.  Look at as many as you can to start the learning curve.  Lots of differences over time thatbare not immediately obvious to most.
It is not a single slide, bedroom slide is street side like Rudy's

Keith
Motorcade #18070   
Pasadena, Texas

Reply #17
Did you end up purchasing the Foretravel John?

Reply #18
I did buy the 2004 Foretravel 4220! I pick it up this Friday, Sept 18. I'm sure I will have a LOT of questions I will be asking others about in the days ahead. My wife and I are SO excited and looking forward to full-timing in this beautiful coach. Hope to see many of you in the months/years ahead.
JohnJoseph

Reply #19
We have had four previous Foretravels.    Our 2003 4220 has everything we would ever want in a coach.  I even like it enough to overlook the green sofa.
Rick & Rhonda
2003 U320 4220  Build #6199
Was
91 36' GV 300 Caterpillar, 92 40' U280 300 Cummins, 97 36' U295 300 Cummins, 2002
U320 450 Cummins
(Guess we're hooked)

The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #20
I did buy the 2004 Foretravel 4220! I pick it up this Friday, Sept 18. I'm sure I will have a LOT of questions I will be asking others about in the days ahead. My wife and I are SO excited and looking forward to full-timing in this beautiful coach. Hope to see many of you in the months/years ahead.

Congratulations.  You might want to have the seller help you fill the fresh water tank.  Foretravels are special that way.  Everything else you can learn as you go, that's part of the fun.
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
N1RPN