Skip to main content
Topic: Do you tie the awning down? (Read 686 times) previous topic - next topic

Do you tie the awning down?

For years I have strapped my RV awning down, then our last RV's awning would retract automatically in heavy wind so I repurposed my RV tie downs etc for other uses, as one does !
So the question is, do you use an awning tie down every time you open the awning to prevent damage in moderate winds?
If heavy winds are expected I always take the awning in.
Amazon.com: Camco 42593 Awning Anchor Kit with Pull Tension Strap: Automotive
I may have got lazy in my older age and want the awning out quickly, our chairs in place, and a cold beverage in hand, which would all be delayed by the time it takes to screw in the anchors, attach the springs, tension the straps, stand back and admire the installation as the DW smiles with encouragement, her cold beverage been enjoyed!
Just asking ?

David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
1999 U270 WTFE 36' Build # 5534
Xtreme "Lights, Stripes & Roof"
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Towd: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Life is made to enjoy, the Foretravel helps!

Re: Do you tie the awning down?

Reply #1
I've always rolled it up if winds or rain is expected. Would be afraid of mechanical damage if winds were too strong.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #2
I don't tie mine down I simply put it up if the wind gets up. I NEVER leave the coach with the awning out. IMHO these old 20 + year old awnings ain't going to stand much wind tied down or not.
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #3
If our patio awning is out the corners get tied down.  I leave a bit of slack in the lines, no springs.  If it looks like it is going to be windy or we are away it gets rolled up.  Mooring lines stay attached to the ground and coiled up.

Reply #4
Dipping one end of a zip dee greatly adds to its ability to withstand gusts if left out
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #5
Bob,  i always dip one end for rain run off, the end away from the door, always amazes me how many people have them level.  Have never had an awning with the grommets for extra drainage in the case of heavy rain, and think they are genius.
Have seen a few awnings tear in heavy rains, one of those moments when you say nubie, and watch from a distance glad it was not mine.
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
1999 U270 WTFE 36' Build # 5534
Xtreme "Lights, Stripes & Roof"
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Towd: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Life is made to enjoy, the Foretravel helps!

Reply #6
Yep. I tie both sides down and it has saved me many times in Utah
1996 U295-36, Cummins 300hp, 8.3. Build number 4864. Vin number 1F97D536XTNO54271. Purchased October 31, 2019.

Reply #7
Only tie down if it's an extended stay.

I set this up for extended stays. Takes about 45 minutes to set up. Withstands 30 MPH winds no issues. Probably more, but never tried it.

For short stays in the desert dry camping, I use 5 gallon Home Cheapo buckets with rocks in them. Old coach pictured.

Chris
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348