Skip to main content
Topic: The mattress question (Read 1048 times) previous topic - next topic

The mattress question

I've read on here before about mattress's but didn't pay much attention because I didn't have a mattress problem. After letting my grand daughter jump on the bed I now have a problem, I can't say no to her. I really didn't give it much thought that jumping on an old air adjustable mattress might not be a good thing but, my dreams are now deflated so to speak!

It seems that most people don't use them or like them. Is that because of cost or longevity? (as long as your grand kids stay off, it is hard to say no). I would like to replace the two mattress's if I can get another 10 years out of them
Eric, Mary and Carl the jack russel terrorist
1997 U320, #5143, w/450 hp, 6.9 on the richter scale
Sammie the toad
Live Free or Die

Re: The mattress question

Reply #1
I went to memory foam and am happy with it.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #2
Same. Memory foam medium. Mattress in a box.
Put two more on the house.
Tossed the waterbed. 

Reply #3
My gifted to me Sleep Number bed has two chambers and they had a label on them, either "second" or "refurbished".  My guess is they were replacement parts.

I have learned and try to always remember to deflate before traveling up the hills.  From Port Aransas TX to Kerrville results in what looks like two rising dough piles under the bedspread.
Dave Cobb
Buckhorn Lake Resort The Club, #6202, Kerrville TX
check the map.  I do rent it out when I am traveling!
2001, U320, 36' #5887, in Kerrville, FT Club #17006, (7/23 to present)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Overland, white
EX: 98 U295, 36' #5219, (mid door), (4/13-10/23)
EX: 93 U225, 36' (4/11 to 4/13)

Reply #4
I decided to do my own solution. Even though the 20 year old mattress on the coach was relatively comfortable still I wanted something different. So I bought a queen-size ticking from a company in Minnesota, natural bedding. I also bought 3 in natural latex slab from them.
Underneath that I have a 2 in memory foam and 4 in of dry foam from sailrite.com. it's very high quality marine grade foam. The ticking and I have can expand two more inches so I can add something else if I want. I also put one inch of spun organic wool on top of the latex. When I first sat on it I thought oh this is really hard I don't think I can sleep on this. I have never slept on a more comfortable mattress in my life. And the really nice thing about it is if something gets spilled on it or I just wanted to change out the foam I can do that no problem. I also bought a wool pillow from them which I really enjoy too. Mattresses are really individual. and I've never found going to a mattress store in laying on one for 10 seconds or minute would be a good indication of whether it was a good thing to sleep on long-term or not. Sometimes you just have to take your chance. What I really like about my system is if I didn't like it I could have changed things out or move them around. I can put the memory foam on top of the latex or I could put those on the bottom and put the dry foam on top. That's why I went with that system. Good luck on your search. A good night sleep is priceless.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #5
I too went with the memory foam type mattress and I did experience the dreaded night sweats as some had warned about with memory foam mattresses. However, after many trial mattress pads that basically failed and we're just hot and uncomfortable.

I have found my magic answer. I will list website below. Honestly, this is not 100% cooling but it is 90% better than all the others I tried.  It is made of material NASA used and I sleep like a baby. No more night sweats.

Note: it was not cheap I paid in excess of $200 for it but the last 7 months have been heaven compared to previous nights. IMO I feel it was worth the money.

Bedding For Better Sleep | Slumber Cloud®
Chuck Wiggy
Coloma, Wisconsin
Sold my 1999 U 320 40 Ft. M11 450 hp
Build # 5468
2009 Silverado

Reply #6
I have one with foam, memory foam and a very soft foam.
Peter and Frieda Morin
1999 36ft. U320 Foretravel
Build # 5436
1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport

Reply #7
Thanks for all the replies and ideas, I guess the question I have is if you've ever had a air adjustable bed and switched to a reg mattress or memory foam or any combination what was it that made you switch was cost? Comfort-ability? Longevity? I want to know if there is an underlying issue with air mattress's, like they deflate the day after the warranty expires. Or that people just don't want them anymore. I'm thinking of going that way just don't want to invest in a bad product. Thanks again everyone.
Sammie the toad
Live Free or Die

Reply #8

This is in my coach now and is the most comfortable mattress I've ever slept on summer and winter.  Foam smell does however take a week or so to subside.

It also makes it easier to sit on the bed for me...I'm 5'9" and the original mattress was a couple inches taller.

No affiliation...just a happy sleeper.  Woody.

Amazon.com: Thrive Aspire - 8 Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress - Best Cooling &...

2001 4010 U320 build #5865 "Bluto-d-Bus" since 09/18
2006 Honda Element ESP Toad
Full timing since 2016 in Western MT
Copilot: Sitka
1975 GMC 260 Avion: sold

Reply #9
We have had the Sleep Number in our previous RV and home for over 25 years.  We love them. When we got our FT, one of the first things we did was take out the old standard mattress and put in the Sleep Number.
A couple of advantages of the Sleep Number air mattress are that you can get replacement parts for every part of the mattress, and his is very lightweight to install.  You can put it together one piece at a time. We like the adjust-ability of it. It definitely "grows" a little when you get in higher elevations. We live at 8500' altitude, and it for sure puffs up when we get home!
Mark & Bev
2001 U295 36'
Cummins ISC 8.3 350HP
Build #5802
Jeep Wrangler Toad

Reply #10
We have had the Sleep Number in our previous RV and home for over 25 years.  We love them. When we got our FT, one of the first things we did was take out the old standard mattress and put in the Sleep Number.
A couple of advantages of the Sleep Number air mattress are that you can get replacement parts for every part of the mattress, and his is very lightweight to install.  You can put it together one piece at a time. We like the adjust-ability of it. It definitely "grows" a little when you get in higher elevations. We live at 8500' altitude, and it for sure puffs up when we get home!
Thanks Mark, and you feel it's a good product and if I keep my grand daughter from jumping on it, it will last a long time?
Sammie the toad
Live Free or Die

Reply #11
Memory foam for us.  We got it at Costco in a box, lots out there now.  Very comfortable for us.  We have a Tempurpedic at home that was 4-5x the price and we like the coach mattress better. 

Reply #12
After we put the memory foam in the coach, we liked it so much we gave up our waterbed in the house we've had for the last 30 years and put a memory foam in the frame.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.

Reply #13

We paid $209 for this mattress in our daughters room. It is very comfortable and no heat sweats when we have fallen asleep in bed with her.  We use her room as a guest room when we have large families stay over. The guest all think it is a high end Temp mattress. We have a $5,500 cooling temp mattress in our bedroom and it is hard to swallow that pill after knowing about this mattress. Although the cooling feature on the temp really works!!

I don't have any experience with the air beds, but I can recommend this mattress. I have had several friends purchase it and all were happy. The only down side is a little off gassing.

Zinus Memory Foam 12 Inch Green Tea Mattress, Full Amazon.com: Zinus 12 Inch Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress / CertiPUR-US...

2002 U270 34' Build 5953
Cummings ISL400HP
3410 Floor Plan
Longview, TX

Reply #14
To answer your question , have you ever had an air mattress and switched back : YES.
It was positively the worst mattress we have ever had in our RV. It got to the point that we slept with the remotes in our hands making the uncomfortable mattress harder and softer as we slept and tried tried to get comfortable, found it to be very hot. Sent it back after about two weeks and bought a regular mattress with a cloud top and life returned to normal.
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
1999 U270 WTFE 36' Build # 5534
Xtreme "Lights, Stripes & Roof"
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Towd: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Life is made to enjoy, the Foretravel helps!

Reply #15
Roger, the PO put in a brand new Tempurpedic in our coach before we bought it. We LOVE it. What is the brand name you got from Costco?
ANOTHER QUESTION:  Do the foam mattresses freeze up when in storage during the winter, in an unheated setting? We need a new one for our camp, here, in Maine.
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Reply #16
Hi Guys,

We have used a Tempurpedic mattress in a previous coach. It does get quite hard at colder temperatures though it doesn't seem to have any residual negative effects at all. Warm up the bedroom and all is good again.
Jim

2002 U320 42'
Jim Frerichs
2002 U320 42'

Reply #17
Glenn, it is a NovaFoam mattress.  It was about $699 on sale for $499.  They have Casper mattresses too which get good reviews. 

When the coach is in the barn in the Dec it gets pretty hard.  We have an electric blanket for the one winter day a year when we head south and get to Kansas City to a WalMart.  We plug the blanket in a few hours before we get there then turn it off.  It stays warm enough until bed time.  AH is on all day in LR and BR while we drive. 

Reply #19
Our PO put in a new pillow top a few months before they decided to sell it. It would not fit their new Tiffin so they left it in. It's a little tall so takes getting used to getting into bed but comfortable. Heavy lifting the platform to get at the engine though.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #20
We found that there are a lot of "10 best mattresses"  articles around and went to our old standby: Consumer Reports.  Kristi was biased against memory foam from past experience, since they were hot, so was reluctant to try them.  We decided on the Costco Novaform Serafina Pearl which was around $600 on sale.  After a week getting used to it, we decided that we really liked it and it was "good to my back".  CR rated it higher than the Temperpedic, which I have used at a fire station.  Nothing against Temperpedic, but they are expensive.
The Novaform is heavier than the queen we had in the coach and I now need a support to hold up the bed when accessing the engine.  It is also a couple of inches wider, but fits in the space with an inch overlap on sides and end of the pedestal, but the fitted sheets still fit.  If you are a little taller, you will appreciate it.  The comfort of the bed is well worth it.
2000 U320 mid entry  #5688
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8

Reply #21
Our PO put in a new pillow top a few months before they decided to sell it. It would not fit their new Tiffin so they left it in. It's a little tall so takes getting used to getting into bed but comfortable. Heavy lifting the platform to get at the engine though.

Pierce
I used these for my bed, and they work perfect, since 2017.
A PAIR(2) 26.3 in Gas Strut Shock Spring prop rod lift 300 lb | eBay
97 U295 40, Build #5040, 6C8.3 325 HP
Oregon Continuous Traveler
Samsung Residential #RF20HFENBSR,
Xantrex SW2012, (3)AGM8D Hse, (2)AGM Grp24 Eng, Victron BMV-712, 1800w Solar 4 LG & 2 Sunpower
Extreme Full Body Pt w/hdlmps, new furn/floor, 4 down Lexus 2004 GX470 AWD curb weight 4,740 lbs
Prev: 1990 Barth, 10L 300 2 yrs; 91&92 Monaco Signature, 10 yrs, 10L C 300 &  6C8.3 300; 1997 ForeT 6C8.3 325 since May 2017.  Employed by Guaranty RV 14+ yrs.  Former VW New Car Dlr/Service Dlr, Sales Mgr, Rv Sales, and Service Adviser from 1968-2017
"Don't criticize what you can't understand" Bob Dylan

Reply #22
We found that there are a lot of "10 best mattresses"  articles around and went to our old standby: Consumer Reports.  Kristi was biased against memory foam from past experience, since they were hot, so was reluctant to try them.  We decided on the Costco Novaform Serafina Pearl which was around $600 on sale.  After a week getting used to it, we decided that we really liked it and it was "good to my back".  CR rated it higher than the Temperpedic, which I have used at a fire station.  Nothing against Temperpedic, but they are expensive.
The Novaform is heavier than the queen we had in the coach and I now need a support to hold up the bed when accessing the engine.  It is also a couple of inches wider, but fits in the space with an inch overlap on sides and end of the pedestal, but the fitted sheets still fit.  If you are a little taller, you will appreciate it.  The comfort of the bed is well worth it.
Same one we bought for the coach but, had to buy a Cal King for the waterbed frame in the house. The PO had made a pair of carpeted risers for their use getting on the original bed. I stacked them for the DW to get in on her side.

Reply #23
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one sleeping on a waterbed!!  Have been for about 45 years, the Young guys at work give me a hard time about it
The selected media item is not currently available.Keith & Jo
2003 U320T 4025 PBBS Designer series
Build 6203    Cummins 500hp
2000 U320 4010 WTFE / Build 5762 —Sold—
Motorcade #18070   
Pasadena, Texas
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-Sunset Orange pearl coat
Don't argue with a fool, people watching might not be able to tell the difference.

Reply #24
My back hurts each time I lift it. Thanks for the tip!

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)