Skip to main content
Topic: Purchased new to me U295 (Read 741 times) previous topic - next topic

Purchased new to me U295

Greetings all:  Just purchased a U295 from a dealership here in MN.  I had a family emergency in the middle of the transaction so I have a little time to change my mind if I need to.  Now I thought I wanted a M11, and a U320, but after reading about what people were looking at in a coach, the one thing that came through is how was it maintained.  If good, that trumps a lot of other nice to haves.
This coach is darn near  pristine in the interior, and the exterior decals are cracked, but have a lot of color yet.  There is a beauty mark on the rear corner passenger side, but I do a bit of fiberglass work so that won't be an issue.  The undercarriage is completely and totally rust free, I could not believe it.
It has a whopping big muffler so a resonator is in my future.  Headlights can barely be seen through the haze on the plastic, so work to be done there.  Drove like a dream, and handled the 35-40 mph gusts that we had with grace and dignity.  Now it is listed on RVT.com, first one in Foretravels.  Does any one know who might have owned this, he/she was a club member.  Thanks
Chuckd
1995 U295C  36 foot
Amery Wi

Re: Purchased new to me U295

Reply #1
Congratulations and welcome to Foretravel ownership.  I looked at the pictures and it certainly does look pristine. 

Safe travels,

Richard
Jan & Richard Witt
1999 U-320  36ft WTFE
Build Number: 5478 Motorcade: 16599
2008 Roadtrek Adventurous RS Sprinter
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Jan: NO5U, Richard:KA5RIW
The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #3
Was in a bit of a hurry when I first posted.  I was impressed with the workmanship in the Foretravel.  The cabinetry is superb.  I have never used a tambor door, and they worked so slick, I just kept opening and closing them, like a kid with a new toy.  My partner was in awe of the condition, now she can see imaginary dirt so that is a excellent atta boy.  She said we can move right in, almost passed out.
Going to defog the headlights with some 3M fog remover, I am a retired 3Mer so my company store discount makes it worth while to make the effort.  Then I will change bulbs to maybe LED's or higher power bulbs.  Will probably go with the small round when travel is safer.
My first stop will be a truck repair shop that works on Class 8's and they work on my Volvo 610.  Will do a front to back check on all chassis and running gear systems, and zero base the maintenance, by performing oil change, coolant check, lubrication what ever so I know where I am starting from.  So will know more about my purchase when that is over.
Will have them remove the muffler an put on a resonator at the same time.
One of the attributes of buying a Foretravel is the knowledge on this sit.  Thanks for the welcome and look forward to being taught all the things I do not know about Foretravels.
Chuckd
1995 U295C  36 foot
Amery Wi

Reply #4
Good luck and enjoy your new coach!
Richard & Betty Bark & Keiko our Golden Doodle
2003 U320T 3820 PBDS
Build # 6215
MC # 16926
2016 Chevrolet Colorado 4X4 diesel

Reply #5
Chuck,

That's great.  Welcome again.  When you get a chance please fill out the signature information in your profile so that we all know better what Foretravel make, model, year, etc that you have.  That will help with any future questions you may have.  And you will have questions in the future. 

Richard
Jan & Richard Witt
1999 U-320  36ft WTFE
Build Number: 5478 Motorcade: 16599
2008 Roadtrek Adventurous RS Sprinter
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Jan: NO5U, Richard:KA5RIW
The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #6
Welcome to the group,, and welcome to glamping Foretravel style. 
Robert and Susan Moe Sr.
 1995 36' 280 WTBI 8.3 3060r
 1200 watts on the roof, 720 Ah of lithium's
 Build # 4637. Motorcade # 17599
        FMCA  # 451505
        18  Wrangler JLUR

Reply #7
Do not lube the disk brake calipers.  Requires clay based and a specific process.  Add retraction springs from Meritor to help spread the pads when you can.

The rubber Fuel lines die from ULSD fuel.  Inspect air bags also.

Shocks need to,be Koni FSD's
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #8
I just replaced the fuel lines last week and the old ones were in very good condition except for a few small cracks at fittings. Internal surface was nice and smooth, shiny and no minute rubber particles in filters or tank. I have allways  thought that our annual trips to Mexico have kept them in good shape due to reg Sulphur fuel most places still sell. Had an air lock problem for a while after starting engine but finally got it all out. I am going to be putting the same fuel pump system Fass, that Don has done as I think it will keep the inj pump in good shape longer.
Many thanks to those that I followed especially Bruce Bean for his guidance
Johnh
Coachless, now use aircraft.
1994 Ford E350 ClassC,total renovation inside and out. Now sold.
2000 U295  36' Cummins 350 c/w Banks Stinger, Resonator upgrade,Solar, LED lites.Residential fridge with slide out pantry. Build 5674. Sold
ex 92 GV 022C ored Cummins. Sold
ex 95 GV240 cat 3116. Sold
2017 Mini cooper s & 2016 land Rover LR2 HSE  LUX.
jhaygarth@aol.com    SKP #130098
treat everyone as you would like to be.

Reply #9
I will update my profile, will not have the serial number for a couple of weeks.  Thanks for the hints on what to do and not to do.  If their are more, pls share.  All things rubber are suspect.  Going to have fun, fun, fun.
Chuckd
1995 U295C  36 foot
Amery Wi