Skip to main content
Topic: FT owner killed when a tornado hits his rig on the road  (Read 1648 times) previous topic - next topic

FT owner killed when a tornado hits his rig on the road

I was watching YouTube. Saw this guy posted this incident.

I can not believe it. Foretravel don't build light RV. Can't believe a Fortravel was blown away 150 yard.

On the other hand, this guy was really active recently in posting RV related videos.

So any of you heard this accident?
1991 Grand Villa U300

Re: FT owner killed when a tornado hits his rig on the road

Reply #1
150 yards

Reply #2
News Clip of the event.  Pretty tragic.
40ft 1997 U320

Reply #3
Sure, why not.  Driving into my home town of Port Aransas after hurricane harvey, hundreds of overturned, blown around motorhomes and RV's.  Pioneer RV, lots of class A coaches....wiped out 100%.  This doesn't even begin to compare to the power of a tornado. 

"Not so  long ago we were a nation of risk takers, riding five million pounds of  thrust straight into space."  Joe Gresh
Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS

Reply #4
The RV and trailer combined weight probably more than 60000 pounds.

Wow! Just unbelievable force!
1991 Grand Villa U300

Reply #6
https://youtu.be/63iOeQ8A0eA

This video was likely the one involved in the RV accident. It captures the whole event. 0:42"

The coach was torn in pieces in seconds.

Every one please drive safe!
1991 Grand Villa U300

Reply #7
Something like this reminds us of how trivial our issues with puck lights, commodes, etc. are.
2000 U320 mid entry  #5688
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8

Reply #8
No, ... I disagree. The man was doing exactly what he loved and probably cherish every hour in his Foretravel including fixing the puck lights.
Future Foretravel Owners
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Retired USAF, Retired DOD Civ's
FAA A&P, Indust. Eng., Acft Depot Lvl. Maint.
Larry and Becky Rountree

Reply #9
Winds on I-80 here in Wyoming can be quite strong. Our daughter calls the 18-wheelers on their sides "sleeping semis." A tornado has winds far stronger than regular wind - 300 mph or so. That's a LOT of force.

Reply #10
A big tornado would take a Foretravel or anything else up to OZ. I remember the video of the helicopter caught in one.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #11
We drove around one years ago on the way to grandmas house in Gelsburg Michigan, I saw it coming and hammered the loud pedal in my father-in-laws 76 cutlass.
Any damage to my car ?
No Bob not a mark.
88 Grand Villa 36' ORED 3208 (throwaway)Cat.
 Build # 3150
Happiness is the maximum agreement of reality and desire.

Reply #12
From the post Sven posted, it seems like the coach was torn completely into pieces. How can this be possible? Doesn't Foretravel have steal frame?
1991 Grand Villa U300

Reply #13
Did you ever see what a tornado does to Semi-trucks and train cars loaded? Google it, far to many to post here.
Future Foretravel Owners
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Retired USAF, Retired DOD Civ's
FAA A&P, Indust. Eng., Acft Depot Lvl. Maint.
Larry and Becky Rountree

Reply #14
We live in tornado alley in Oklahoma.  I've seen tornados wrap a dump truck around a tree, pull cement slabs out of the ground, and carry items hundreds of miles to where they are finally deposited.  This one wasn't that strong according to the weather reports, but we've also learned to not put a lot of stock in the radar estimates of velocity.  As an insurance agent, after one tornado I was out to check on customers and came across a house where the walls were all gone the furniture was gone and pretty much only the slab was left.  In the center of the slab was a tall book shelf still standing with some basketball trophies untouched on the top.  Tornados are strange creatures.  I've been in wind in Oklahoma in our 42' tag U320 and slowed to 25 MPH because it was blowing so hard I was afraid to go any faster.  I was also afraid to stop by the road because of the driving rain and limited visibility.  Of course we don't know whether he was buckled in or what might have come in through a window or came forward from the back.  I've seen fatalities from very minor accidents.
Rick & Rhonda
2003 U320 4220  Build #6199
Was
91 36' GV 300 Caterpillar, 92 40' U280 300 Cummins, 97 36' U295 300 Cummins, 2002
U320 450 Cummins
(Guess we're hooked)

The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #15
The man filming wasn't thinking or he would have done an about face when he first saw it in the road. You hate that someone was killed, twisters leave things that you hate in their path.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #16
And that's why we moved from severe weather 12 months a year South Dakota to a very much lacking in severe weather Walla Walla.

Sometimes, as that guy filming the Tornado tearing apart that Foretravel shows. Folks (including Mr Nelson RIP) get way to complacent. No way Mr. Nelson didn't see it and simply drove right into it. As did the guy taking the video. The creepy thing I noticed was the fact that the guy taking the video watched a coach get torn up and he just casually continued to video after the tornado passed and showed no interest in going to help Mr. Nelson.

Jerry & Nona and Kimeru the cat that thinks she's a dog
1998 36' WTFE U320  #5314 Motorcade #17711
USAF 1975-1995
2019 Subaru Crosstrek 'toad'
2003 Subaru Legacy touring car
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #17
Sometimes, as that guy filming the Tornado tearing apart that Foretravel shows. Folks (including Mr Nelson RIP) get way to complacent. No way Mr. Nelson didn't see it and simply drove right into it. As did the guy taking the video. The creepy thing I noticed was the fact that the guy taking the video watched a coach get torn up and he just casually continued to video after the tornado passed and showed no interest in going to help Mr. Nelson.

And these peaple reproduce.
Daytime event such as this could of been handled differently,  I think. A shame from every angle.
Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
If you're going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
DEGOIWKY
Don't ever get old, it will kill you
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #18
And these peaple reproduce.
Daytime event such as this could of been handled differently,  I think. A shame from every angle.
Scott
I'm of two minds about this. Videos of these Tornado's are of scientific use and if one does risk themselves to get said video. Well, That is the freedom of choice that we libertarian minded folks support. But that changes the moment you see someone else possibly being hurt from that storm. Then you "should" stop recording, wait till it's safe then go and effect a rescue.
Jerry & Nona and Kimeru the cat that thinks she's a dog
1998 36' WTFE U320  #5314 Motorcade #17711
USAF 1975-1995
2019 Subaru Crosstrek 'toad'
2003 Subaru Legacy touring car
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #19
Discussion has veered well off the subject of Foretravels and RVing, which are the focus of this forum, so it is now locked.
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #21
The line "The R-V came to rest on its roof some 150 to 200 yards west of the highway in a nearby corn field." makes me wonder if a proper harness would have prevented the driver's demise.
Our condolences for his family's loss.

Art & Lynn
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #22
May not have had even his seat belt on. Harnesses sure help unless the cab gets crushed.

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #23
May not have had even his seat belt on. Harnesses sure help unless the cab gets crushed.

Pierce
Ever since I ricocheted by head off the ceiling of my TriPacer running low and fast into Keene Dillant-Hopkins Airport (EEN) on a gusty day,  I keep any lap belt fastened securely, even the Siata.

Besides the news report didn't say that the roof crushed.
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #24
Ever since I ricocheted by head off the ceiling of my TriPacer running low and fast into Keene Dillant-Hopkins Airport (EEN) on a gusty day,  I keep any lap belt fastened securely, even the Siata.

Besides the news report didn't say that the roof crushed.
PA-22, 135hp, 3300B

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)