Skip to main content
Topic: Retarder Bracket Failure (Read 1170 times) previous topic - next topic

Retarder Bracket Failure

Yes, it happened to me.  I've regularly checked my bracket for cracking, but never took the time to reinforce my bracket.  I paid the price yesterday on I-287 in New Jersey when a motorist's honking got me to stop.  I couldn't find anything to provoke his concern until I looked underneath the engine.  There was my retarder accumulator hanging by its hydraulic hose!

I was able to strap it up off the ground with a dozen plastic ties until I found an Auto Zone where I bought a commercial tie down strap and could secure it safely. Now what do I do?  I dragged the accumulator long enough to destroy the solenoid, and enough of the accumulator is worn away to cause a small leak-about a quart an hour.

Suggestions?  I can't find a source for the Allison 295333476, but FT Parts is talking to Stewart and Stevenson.  Will a Freightliner service facility be willing and able to re-weld the bracket and plug the hydraulic line(1 1/2" I think) so I can make it to Nacogdoches?  I also have a John Deere facility near me in Lancaster, PA where I'm spending the night.

Or do I just keep feeding Transynd and continue on?  I'm down 4 quarts right now but have only 1 1/2 gallons on board.  Surely there are enough Allison service outfits within spitting distance to buy enough to get me there, assuming the leak doesn't get worse.

Thoughts?
Regards,
Brett

'99 42' Foretravel Xtreme
'14 Brown Motorsports Stacker
'05 Chevy SSR
'02 BMW R1150R

Re: Retarder Bracket Failure

Reply #1
Try and find a shop that can do the job near you,there is a good Alison shop here in Memphis,why go to NAC,get the parts shipped to you.As for the leak,is there any way you can wrap it with something to slow down the leak?If it is a small hole can you get a sheet metal screw in and tighten it.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #2
Get some rest,you can,t do anything now,start making phone calls fully rested.
I looked at that bracket on the other post,a good machine shop can easily make one.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #3
I can't find a source for the Allison 295333476,
Thoughts?

I think you have too many numbers there.  The old number should be 29553476. Now that number has changed several times as they are now on the 4th or 5 generation but are still made. TKT Sales Allison Transmission Parts Supplier  If anyone can find one, have the shop foreman talk to Ted.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #4
There is a good allison shop in Manassas VA I have used in the past right of I66
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on Ford 550 nonslide version
Former Coaches  covering. 360,000 miles
1999 34 U270
2000 36 U320
2001 42' double slide U320
2018 Jeep Rubicon

Reply #6

Suggestions?  I can't find a source for the Allison 295333476, but FT Parts is talking to Stewart and Stevenson.  Will a Freightliner service facility be willing and able to re-weld the bracket and plug the hydraulic line(1 1/2" I think) so I can make it to Nacogdoches?  I also have a John Deere facility near me in Lancaster, PA where I'm spending the night.

Or do I just keep feeding Transynd and continue on?  I'm down 4 quarts right now but have only 1 1/2 gallons on board.  Surely there are enough Allison service outfits within spitting distance to buy enough to get me there, assuming the leak doesn't get worse.

Thoughts?

I say plug off the hydraulic line, store the old hydraulic assembly and continue on your way sans retarder.  Your don't specifically need an Allison or Freightliner shop, any good hydraulic shop will do for the parts to cap the hydraulic line.  When you want to replace your actuator, haul it into a good hydraulic parts house and drop it on the counter and say "I need one of these."

I learned a long time ago to not confuse the parts guy with too much information.
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #7
I'm with Old Toolmaker with this, cap it off and go until its convenient to have it reworked.  A source was recently posted on the forum for an improved cooler as well.  Spraying oil on the highway is not an option imho.  Ask any motorcyclist. 
"Not so  long ago we were a nation of risk takers, riding five million pounds of  thrust straight into space."  Joe Gresh
Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS

Reply #8
Assuming you were going to NAC anyway, either remove the unit and plug the lines and continue (carefully) to NAC - assumes not a lot of steep grades between you and there.
Even easier - I might first try getting some "rescue tape" and wrapping the leaking area (if possible), tie it up again out of harms way under the coach and again continue on the way. Feed in Transynd as necessary.
Is there an Allison Shop in your "route of flight"?  Most of them could probably handle the repair, parts most likely in stock in or near NAC.
Lots of options, think it through, let us know how it turns out! Tim
Tim Fiedler    2000  Foretravel U-320 4010
2000 Chevy Tracker 2 Door Convertible 4WD Now lifted 4.5"
1985 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston
Murphy Rebel on wheels with 175HP Titan
Cessna 185 on Aerocet 3500 straight floats. (1/4 share)
1980 48' Westport MY (!/4 Share)

Reply #9
Brett,
The above posts suggesting plugging the line is probably what I would to in your situation. You would have to locate a JIC plug to do that. (Sorry, I don't recall the size but it's at least a -20 or larger) If you decide to go that route, turn off the retarder until the accumulator is back in the system. Adjust your driving habits to allow for safe travel without the retarder.

Greg
Greg & Cathy
2000 U320 4010 DGFE Build #5650
Had: 1999 Tradewinds 7370

Reply #10
Who in Nac is going to work on it?
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #11
I'll take suggestions about who to take it to in Nac.  I've been at a Freightliner dealer that's an Allison service center for 5 hours so far.  As far as the techs are concerned, my tranny is a relic they've never seen before.  They haven't been able to locate a parts source.  They didn't have a cap the size I need.  I finally convince them to pull off the fitting from the front of the accumulator.  Hopefully they can find a hydraulic shop with the cap.  This is Lancaster, PA so there are a ton of tractors around here so lets hope.
Regards,
Brett

'05 Chevy SSR
'02 BMW R1150R

Reply #12
Whew, of the dozen hydraulic shops in my the area only one is still open, and that for only 30 minutes. Bas d on a verbal description they think they have the he cap.
Regards,
Brett

'05 Chevy SSR
'02 BMW R1150R

Reply #13
I wonder now that a couple brackets have failed if it wouldn't be prudent if those of you who can't fix the bracket right away to use some metal plumber's strap or several HD nylon Zip ties to hold it up just in case.  I have several 36" very HD zip ties used in HVAC installs.  They would be about right.  The metal plumbers strap should be available at almost any hardware shop.

Reply #14
I agree.  I've been checking that bracket every time I have crawled underneath to grease the chassis, but like an idiot I've been looking at the weld from the bottom, or compression side.  You need a flashlight and mirror to examine the top side of the weld.
Just for reference, my bill came to $579.18 for a $22 1 5/8" compression cap and two $50 gallons of Transynd.  Sure I could have done it myself if I had an 18" crescent wrench(that I don't own), a 2 gallon catch pan, and the knowledge to know what to ask for.

BTW, the labor rate for motorhomes was $176, the highest I've seen.  But now I have the the accumulator and its hose in a bay and the air line pinched off until I get to Nac.
Regards,
Brett

'05 Chevy SSR
'02 BMW R1150R

Reply #15
I'll take suggestions about who to take it to in Nac. 

I'd be more inclined to take it to Stewart and Stevenson in Longview, an actual Allison shop that's familiar with Foretravels and their retarders, than anyplace in Nac.
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #16
We had the loose bearing at the rear of the trans repaired at our Memphis Alison dealer and they were very familiar with retarders,
did a great job.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #17
When I added gussets to my bracket I noticed the was no weld on the top side which is where the weld needed to be. I welded
top and that may have been enough but I prefer to have something too strong.
Peter and Frieda Morin
1999 36ft. U320 Foretravel
Build # 5436
1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport

Reply #18
I wonder now that a couple brackets have failed if it wouldn't be prudent if those of you who can't fix the bracket right away to use some metal plumber's strap or several HD nylon Zip ties to hold it up just in case.  I have several 36" very HD zip ties used in HVAC installs.  They would be about right.  The metal plumbers strap should be available at almost any hardware shop.
Funny I was thinking the same thing. 1/8 cable and a couple of cable clamps would carry a lot. Chafing issues but tough. Also the transmission case covers were you would want to look for a cracked weld, that is not installed. Sadly a poor design by a junior fabricator. You may never see the crack until it's dragging on the ground. If your coach has one, proactively fix it. Or repeat what other are teaching us by example. I'm glad no one was hurt.
Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
If you're going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
DEGOIWKY
Don't ever get old, it will kill you
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #19
This report really had me concerned as my coach is within the years that have the failing bracket.  I also really couldn't wrap my head around the problem because my recollection was that the accumulator was nowhere near where you guys are reporting it.

Turns out someone (factory) relocated mine and welded it to back the battery tray.  Is anyone else's like this?  Was this original or did a PO have this done?
Rick and Donna
1997 U320 4000 WTBI Build 5152 "Molesley"

Reply #21
Please someone tell me where I can find and inspect the bracket on my newly purchased 2003 U320, hopefully with a picture.

Thank you

PS: Air quality here in NE Washington is terrible, I am hoping for rain.
We live on acreage with trees around us, so we keep the bus stacked with essentials (red and white wine) so we can leave with 4 dogs and 2 cats within a 30 minute notice.
And then the retarder bracket will break.
The world is not interested in the storms you encountered, but whether or not you brought in the ship.
Raul Armesto

2003 U 320 4020 Unit 6145

Reply #22
See pictures here.
Older U320 Retarder Bracket Issue

It is located on the pass side on the lower side of the transmission.  The accumulator bolts to the bracket (4 bolts) and the bracket to The bottom of the transmission or a frame member.  It was easier to take the two bolts out first and lower the accumulator on to a sturdy box and the get at the 4 bolts that hols the bracket to the accumulator.

Reply #23

PS: Air quality here in NE Washington is terrible, I am hoping for rain.
We live on acreage with trees around us, so we keep the bus stacked with essentials (red and white wine) so we can leave with 4 dogs and 2 cats within a 30 minute notice.
And then the retarder bracket will break.

Ralph's Corollary: Murphy was an optimist.
Tim Dianics
Pam Sapienza
Vader PupZilla Labrador Canine (AKA Pup)
Columbia, MO
1996 U320 4000

Reply #24
Turns out someone (factory) relocated mine and welded it to back the battery tray.  Is anyone else's like this?  Was this original or did a PO have this done?
Yep. Saw one like that when I was kicking tires at MOT last year. The bracket welded to the battery tray is the same piece that is used to make the vertical part on the later ones.

Greg & Cathy
2000 U320 4010 DGFE Build #5650
Had: 1999 Tradewinds 7370