Skip to main content

Topic: Retarder Bracket Failure (Read 646 times) previous topic - next topic

Retarder Bracket Failure
Yes, it happened to me.  I've regularly checked my bracket for cracking, but never took the time to reinforce my bracket.  I paid the price yesterday on I-287 in New Jersey when a motorist's honking got me to stop.  I couldn't find anything to...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Retarder Bracket Failure
Reply #1
Try and find a shop that can do the job near you,there is a good Alison shop here in Memphis,why go to NAC,get the parts shipped to you.As for the leak,is there any way you can wrap it with something to slow down the leak?If it is a small hole...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Get some rest,you can,t do anything now,start making phone calls fully rested.
I looked at that bracket on the other post,a good machine shop can easily make one.

Reply #3
I can't find a source for the Allison 295333476,
Thoughts?

I think you have too many numbers there.  The old number should be 29553476. Now that number has changed several times as they...

Reply #4
There is a good allison shop in Manassas VA I have used in the past right of I66

Reply #5
I have never used this company, but they are in South Jersey. Looks like may have what you need.
TransAxle | The Premier Remanufacturer of Transmissions, Axles and Hydraulics.

Reply #6

Suggestions?  I can't find a source for the Allison 295333476, but FT Parts is talking to Stewart and Stevenson.  Will a Freightliner service facility be willing and able to re-weld the...

Reply #7
I'm with Old Toolmaker with this, cap it off and go until its convenient to have it reworked.  A source was recently posted on the forum for an improved cooler as well.  Spraying oil on the highway is not an option imho.  Ask any motorcyclist. 

Reply #8
Assuming you were going to NAC anyway, either remove the unit and plug the lines and continue (carefully) to NAC - assumes not a lot of steep grades between you and there.
Even easier - I might first try getting some "rescue tape" and wrapping...

Reply #9
Brett,
The above posts suggesting plugging the line is probably what I would to in your situation. You would have to locate a JIC plug to do that. (Sorry, I don't recall the size but it's at least a -20 or larger) If you decide to go that route,...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
Who in Nac is going to work on it?

Reply #11
I'll take suggestions about who to take it to in Nac.  I've been at a Freightliner dealer that's an Allison service center for 5 hours so far.  As far as the techs are concerned, my tranny is a relic they've never seen before.  They haven't been...

Reply #12
Whew, of the dozen hydraulic shops in my the area only one is still open, and that for only 30 minutes. Bas d on a verbal description they think they have the he cap.

Reply #13
I wonder now that a couple brackets have failed if it wouldn't be prudent if those of you who can't fix the bracket right away to use some metal plumber's strap or several HD nylon Zip ties to hold it up just in case.  I have several 36" very HD...

Reply #14
I agree.  I've been checking that bracket every time I have crawled underneath to grease the chassis, but like an idiot I've been looking at the weld from the bottom, or compression side.  You need a flashlight and mirror to examine the top side...

Reply #15
I'll take suggestions about who to take it to in Nac. 

I'd be more inclined to take it to Stewart and Stevenson in Longview, an actual Allison shop that's familiar with Foretravels and...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #16
We had the loose bearing at the rear of the trans repaired at our Memphis Alison dealer and they were very familiar with retarders,
did a great job.

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
When I added gussets to my bracket I noticed the was no weld on the top side which is where the weld needed to be. I welded
top and that may have been enough but I prefer to have something too strong.

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
I wonder now that a couple brackets have failed if it wouldn't be prudent if those of you who can't fix the bracket right away to use some metal plumber's strap or several HD...

Reply #19
This report really had me concerned as my coach is within the years that have the failing bracket.  I also really couldn't wrap my head around the problem because my recollection was that the accumulator was nowhere near where you guys are...

Reply #20
1. Is anyone else's like this? 
2. Was this original or did a PO have this done?

1.Yes
2. Original

Mike

Reply #21
Please someone tell me where I can find and inspect the bracket on my newly purchased 2003 U320, hopefully with a picture.

Thank you

PS: Air quality here in NE Washington is terrible, I am hoping for rain.
We live on acreage with trees around us, so...

Reply #22
See pictures here.
Older U320 Retarder Bracket Issue

It is located on the pass side on the lower side of the transmission.  The accumulator bolts to the bracket (4 bolts) and the bracket to The bottom of the transmission or a frame member.  It was...

Reply #23

PS: Air quality here in NE Washington is terrible, I am hoping for rain.
We live on acreage with trees around us, so we keep the bus stacked with essentials (red and white wine) so we can...

Reply #24
Turns out someone (factory) relocated mine and welded it to back the battery tray.  Is anyone else's like this?  Was this original or did a PO have this done?