Skip to main content
Topic: water tank sensor? (Read 642 times) previous topic - next topic

water tank sensor?

Hi all,
I noticed that in filling my fresh water tanks it overflowed out the over flow tube behind my right rear wheel before the Audit Javelina
indicator showed full.
In checking the water tank I noticed there is a sensor of some sort that has come detached, I suspect from the water tank.
Is this the water level sensor and if so, how high on the tank should it be mounted ??(the sensor has two sided tape on it)
Pictures attached
Peter
Peter    Alberta Canada
'98 U320 40'  Build 5359 M11 450 HP, Aqua hot, Blu Ox

Re: water tank sensor?

Reply #1
That is definitely the sensor for your Audit water tank gauge.  I have re-taped mine on several occasions  over the years using aluminum HVAC tape.  This usually helps for a little while. 

I think that what you will learn is that the Audit system is, overall, quite inaccurate.  You can either learn to live with it's limitations (as I have done) or replace it with a newer better system as many on this forum have done.   

Good luck,

Richard
Jan & Richard Witt
1999 U-320  36ft WTFE
Build Number: 5478 Motorcade: 16599
2008 Roadtrek Adventurous RS Sprinter
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Jan: NO5U, Richard:KA5RIW
The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #2
how high on the tank should it be mounted
Doesn't matter as long as the tape is in place and the wires are still connected to it.

or replace it with a newer better system as many on this forum have done.   

Many of us have installed the SeeLevel system when the factory one fails. Like Jan, miraculously, mine is still working but I ran a wire for a SeeLevel as I know it's just a matter of time.

Another thing, you might consider re-routing your overflow so it dumps right through the floor rather than running down the bulkhead as the OEM system does. Lots of threads on how to do it. Having done that to this rig, I just fill it until it overflows to maximize my water carrying capacity.
jor

Reply #3
Many of us have installed the SeeLevel system when the factory one fails. Like Jan, miraculously, mine is still working but I ran a wire for a SeeLevel as I know it's just a matter of time.

Another thing, you might consider re-routing your overflow so it dumps right through the floor rather than running down the bulkhead as the OEM system does. Lots of threads on how to do it. Having done that to this rig, I just fill it until it overflows to maximize my water carrying capacity.
jor
I agree with Joe. When I purchase my coach sea level system was already installed with two displays one in the wet Bay and one next to the refrigerator but none of them worked right. one of the first things I did was get rid of the audit system and put in a proper backup camera there. Recently I redid the sensors for the sea level system. I now have sensors that tell me when my black and gray tank are almost full, and when my freshwater tank is almost empty. That's what I really need to know.. I also rerouted my freshwater overflow so it drains under the coach instead of down the back bulkhead. These are relatively easy things to do for not much money, as long as you have the balls to draw hole through the bottom of your coach. It can be a bit daunting when you first do it but it's not that hard. I now have a very accurate way of telling if I need to put water in through my also modified direct into the water tank versus the old way or when it needs time to empty the black and the gray tank. Since I run exclusively off of my tanks and never hooked up to city water it's important for me. Every day in the morning when I'm getting my breakfast ready I lean over and I see how much water I have whether the tanks are getting full or not, what my battery state of charge is ETC. It's a bit of Peace of mind.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #4
You should re-tape your sensor squarely over the horizontal line you see on the tank.  That's the high water mark.
Regards,
Brett

'99 42' Foretravel Xtreme
'14 Brown Motorsports Stacker
'05 Chevy SSR
'02 BMW R1150R

Reply #5
Thanks for all the advice!!
Peter
Peter    Alberta Canada

Reply #6
can you use glue to mount this sensor?
Peter    Alberta Canada

Reply #7
It uses the foil tape to get the readings. So if it is reading low you can make the foil strips wider.
previous 1984 35 ft ORED 250 HP 3208 Cat       
previous 1998 40 ft U295 CAI 325 hp Cummins
previous 2003 40 Ft u320 build #6140 450 Cummins M11.                                                         
1999 Mazda Miata
Ron, Nancy, Tipper the cat, Max The dog
1997 U 270 36 ft build number 5174 8.3 Cummins

Reply #8
so do you attached the sensor to the foil tape or what? The pics I posted show the foil tape falling off and to the side,like they were just covering the wiring.
Peter
Peter    Alberta Canada

Reply #9
Peter,

On my coach the wire that went into the aluminum tape had a thin copper strip attached to the end of the wire.  I do not remember if it was soldered or somehow crimped to the copper.  As I recall the copper strip was about half an inch wide and a little less than an inch long.  The copper strip was sandwiched between two layers of the sticky-backed aluminum tape.  That is how the electrical connection was made between the sensor block and the tape. 

The way it was laid up originally is that a long aluminum strip was applied to the tank, then a piece of tape about two inches long was placed on the uppermost part of the original tape with the copper sandwiched between. 

If you are careful and lucky you can retrieve the copper strip from the sandwich and use it on your new installation. 

Good luck

Richard

Jan & Richard Witt
1999 U-320  36ft WTFE
Build Number: 5478 Motorcade: 16599
2008 Roadtrek Adventurous RS Sprinter
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Jan: NO5U, Richard:KA5RIW
The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #10
Overflow fresh water out over bulkhead is a problem and even occasional drenching of bulkhead steel is not good.  When possible, like many have done, re-route overflow to a different forward location. Lots on Forum with examples.