Skip to main content

Topic: One or two acs (Read 546 times) previous topic - next topic

One or two acs
I am a prespecative buyer. Looking hard at the Foretravels. I would want a unit in the 34-36' range. Do this size need two acs?

Re: One or two acs
Reply #1
Welcome to the Forum!  Expect a wide variety of opinions here...on almost every subject.  We respect every member's opinion.

What you "NEED" and what you "WANT" are sometimes two very different things.  As far as I know every Foretravel coach has...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Reply #2
Main reason for my question is because first upgrade will be mini split/s. I was thinking with 34-36 i could get by with 1 unit. Even if it is an 18k.

Reply #3
I feel like my comments above can apply regardless of what type A/C unit is installed.

Some owners, in some situations, could get along just fine on one unit.  Other owners would find that limitation unbearable.

Reply #4
And, a lot of the answer will depend on the climate where you intend to use the coach.

Mountains out of Denver are VERY different than the temperatures and humidity on the Gulf Coast.

We just returned from two months in Angel Fire NM. Even the...

Reply #5
Our 2001 36 ft has two AC units and ducting that runs front to rear. Most often if we need to we will run the rear AC only. Accolair comes out the outlets in the ceiling ducts.  We have a ceiling fan in the BR and rarely run any AC at night.  If...

Reply #6
I would not be in south Texas/Louisana in summer unless visiting my daughter. I ould go to cooler less humid areas.

Reply #7
We have a 5 head Mitsubishi mini split upstairs at home and we absolutely love it.    To adapt that for the coach would be far too much engineering and would use space very inefficiently it seems to me.   With the units that come on it you only...

Reply #8
I have removed both rv acs on current 5thr and installed two mini splits. Don't see where it would be any different on a Foretravel. Also are all posts always have to be approved before showing up?

Reply #9
I am a prespecative buyer. Looking hard at the Foretravels. I would want a unit in the 34-36' range. Do this size need two acs?
We live in south eastern Georgia in a 36' GrandVilla, and...

• Dub
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
why would anyone choose 1 ac when they all come with a minimum of 2 in the length you are looking for.

Reply #11
Because I will do away with both of them. Make more room for solar. Put mini split system in. I see from these posts that these units are harder to cool than my 5ther. That is disappointing. At 90 degrees I can cool my 40' unit with 1 12k mini...

Reply #12
Also are all posts always have to be approved before showing up?

Think that is just when you initially join.

Reply #13
Like everyone, we have two units in our 34'. I would like to add one more over the driver for those hot long road trips in the summer. 

After living all my life on the Gulf coast, I will never own anything I get inside of and sleep or drive...

Reply #14
Mini splits do cool better than rv units. Discovered that with my unit. Had 2 15k dometic on it. In south Texas it was lacking. 2 12k mini splits will freeze us.

Reply #15
Where would you mount the mini condenser?

Reply #16
On my 5ther it is at the back on a frame I built. I would like to put it in a storage bay if possible. Don't have a unit to check out in my possesion. The interior unit is usually the question. I had several areas in living room on my 5ther but...

Reply #17
The storage bays would not have enough air flow for a condenser. the compartment opposite the start batteries would be to only place to not have to install it on the outside of the coach but even then lots of heat in that area unless muffler is...

Reply #18
I have not seen a condensor in the storage of a motorhome but have on bus conversions. I would have to have door open or put a screen in it. The back would have to have air flow. Maybe open up the back? Again I might just put it on rear. The U...

Reply #19
The 97 and up ducted roof a/c's allow a lot of flexibility and backup.  The 97's and 98's and maybe 99's have heat strips not heat pumps.  Backup for the coaches heating systems. 

I understand with board and thermostat changes the coaches can be...

Reply #20
Bob, I need some clarification from you if you would. You say heat strip and heat pump, my confusion comes from the term heat pump. My understanding of a heat pump, certainly where we live is static fixture on on a house that has pipes and heaven...

Reply #21
There are a lot of owners running mini splits and solar. They are all 5th wheel though. On cloudy days they supplement with generator. As far as working on them, they are simple. I work on them. They are actually serviceable unlike rv acs....

Reply #22
Bob, I need some clarification from you if you would. You say heat strip and heat pump, my confusion comes from the term heat pump. My understanding of a heat pump, certainly where we...

Reply #23
My understanding of a heat pump, certainly where we live is static fixture on on a house that has pipes and heaven knows what else buried at least 100ft in the ground. This set up takes...

Reply #24
Also I don't want aquahot. Too much maintance and cost.