Skip to main content
Topic: Wanted 88-95 grand villa unihome (Read 1033 times) previous topic - next topic

Wanted 88-95 grand villa unihome

Hi,  new on here, but owned a foretravel back on the 90's,  been looking around some.  I'm on the look out for a 88-95, 36 or possibly 40' grand villa.    I thought this would be a good place to start, condition negotiable. 
Thanks steve

Re: Wanted 88-95 grand villa unihome

Reply #1
My recommendation would be a U300, especially the 102" models. '93 and '94 have the nice headliner. All have the unbreakable 6V-92TA Detroit and the 102" models have the much desired Jake brake. If you are going to be in the Western States most of the time, a 36 footer otherwise, 40 foot is OK. 1995 U300s had a CAT with 6 speed Allison and Jake brake with some with a M11.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #2
Thanks pierce, 
What the difference in the headliner?
 I have read some of your post and I am aware of your love if the 6v92.  I've had a fmc bus with a 671, and a flxible I put a 8.3 cumming into but never a 6v92.  How are the electronics on that motor trans combo as far as reliability?. I'm looking at a 93 u300 40' .  Also I'm wondering on the exterior , being badly faded.  Is the fiberglass painted or is it gel coat.  I have sanded and polished gel coat to get it back.  Or do they need to be repainted? 
Steve

Reply #3
Thanks pierce, 
What the difference in the headliner?
 I have read some of your post and I am aware of your love if the 6v92.  I've had a fmc bus with a 671, and a flxible I put a 8.3 cumming into but never a 6v92.  How are the electronics on that motor trans combo as far as reliability?. I'm looking at a 93 u300 40' .  Also I'm wondering on the exterior , being badly faded.  Is the fiberglass painted or is it gel coat.  I have sanded and polished gel coat to get it back.  Or do they need to be repainted? 
Steve
Steve,

Never heard of a DDEC II ECU failing but I'm sure some have. Like some others, fuel runs through it and cools it. Wiring to the injectors seems also to be trouble free.

Allison HT746 is a garbage truck 4 speed with lock up in half way in 2nd, all of 3rd and 4th. 2130 rpm gives 82 mph. Ours have given exactly 8.0 mpg in about 110,000 miles. Most with toad and living in the Sierras.

Just make sure there is no bulkhead damage. The outside finish is a lot of work. The decals are a job to get off and while the coach can be sanded and polished, it's also a lot of work. The front and rear caps are a softer gencoat and while the shine lasts for a long time on the sides, the front and rear oxidize faster. Unless young and foolish, I would take it to Mexico and have them do all the labor intensive work. You could do a decal strip and polish or paint. The cost would be a small fraction of the cost here.

The roof may need looking at especially if stored outside. I would not slop on the Dicor!

Bought ours around 12 years ago with 60K miles. No real expenses other than a couple of airbags. $$ has been for insurance and diesel.

If you are trying to get in really reasonably, there are lots of excellent tires where a set of six 295/75R22.5 for well under $2K that will work fine. Don't get sucked in by the big advertisers. I bought our AGM house batteries on Craigslist new for 9 percent of the list price. Still working well after all these years. The deals are there if you are patient.

Pierce

Earlier headliner is vinyl with the later models having a carpet style. The carpet looks great but I'm sure carpet could be installed if a new owner wanted to.
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #4
Where in Mexico for paint? What have guys paid to paint one? I'm a retired paint and body guy,  but honestly  don't know about  a job that big.  Maybe in stages I could paint one.  I meant to say gmc bus,  4104, with a 671 Detroit.  That thing could run a hole in the wind,  but sniff a hill a mile away.  The flxible I used a 643 Allison  and had a guy modify the valve body to lock up in 2nd gear.  Worked great. 
So if I'm right the front and rear suspension section on a unihome is attached to the center section with 3/8" self tapping bolts and the problem is in the lower section caused by rust in the beam it attaches to?
And they can get that rusty that they need replacing.  With separation there it must cause some visible buckling in the side walls over the tire area on the rear especially?
Another question is the generator runs for 5 minutes and shuts down.  I'm figuring a bad sensor,  or  a fuel related problem.  I's there more than 1 fuel filter on the genset?

Thanks steve

Reply #5
Consider the 95 vintage if you want the best access to the front and rear mechanics.  It has a large removable panel up front for working on stuff. Such as headlights, heater, wiper motors, air conditioning and under dash components on the front and the same access to the engine as the following years.      It's kind of a hybrid. 
Robert and Susan Moe Sr.
 1995 36' 280 WTBI 8.3 3060r
 1200 watts on the roof, 720 Ah of lithium's
 Build # 4637. Motorcade # 17599
        FMCA  # 451505
        18  Wrangler JLUR

Reply #6
OK, curiosity has gotten the best of me. Our coach is a 89 3600 GV, but not a Unihome. What is the largest difference between ours and the uni? Also, from what I have read, bulkhead issues don't apply to our coach. Yes, No?  Thanks in advance!
1989 Grand Villa 3600  Our "Furevertravel",  "Ole Furry" for short.....
Cat 3208T  250 HP
Allison MT-643
36SBIORED
Motorcade Number  18541
Build # 3388
2014 Ford F-150 flat towed (My Bride wants "her" MKX in the garage)
Big John, my Bride Miss Mary Lou, and Buddy, Robbi, Gizzy, and Mack ( our furry kids)

Reply #7
My first Foretravel was the 1990 version of your coach.

It is on an Oskosh chassis which was absorbed by Freightliner.  It is 96 inches wide vs 102 inches for a Unihome.  It has half the height basement storage compartments that only go in to the rails and open down vs twice as tall full width compartment that open up.

The Oskosh chassis eleminates the Foretravel bulkhead.

In every other way, it is as good as my 2001 coach.  Solid, top line fixtures such as manual Zip Dee awnings that just keep on working with a little maintenance.

We have fond memories of that coach and in some ways wish we still had it.  Really thought the angle kitchen cooktop and shower behind was a superb use of space.  Enjoy your excellence in construction at a most modest price.
Rudy Legett
2003 U320 4010 ISM 450 hp
2001 U320 4220 ISM 450 hp
1995 U320 M11 400 hp
1990 Granvilla 300 hp 3208T
Aqua Hot Service Houston and Southeast Texas

Reply #8
Love my Oshkosh. I've made many updates  to help it stay on the road .  I feel better towing with this chassis than the Uni chassis. I'm sure the Uni drives better when it's right tho .

Reply #9
We had an ORED and it gave us almost no problems. 
Rick & Rhonda
2003 U320 4220  Build #6199
Was
91 36' GV 300 Caterpillar, 92 40' U280 300 Cummins, 97 36' U295 300 Cummins, 2002
U320 450 Cummins
(Guess we're hooked)

The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #10
Thanks to all for the quick replies on my questions. I really have enjoyed all you folk,  and your enthusiastic want to help each other. You unfortunately don't see that much in today's world.  I will post pics of our coach as we travel through our restoration  process. I have had a few small issues, and your info has been much appreciated!
Thanks again, folks!!!
1989 Grand Villa 3600  Our "Furevertravel",  "Ole Furry" for short.....
Cat 3208T  250 HP
Allison MT-643
36SBIORED
Motorcade Number  18541
Build # 3388
2014 Ford F-150 flat towed (My Bride wants "her" MKX in the garage)
Big John, my Bride Miss Mary Lou, and Buddy, Robbi, Gizzy, and Mack ( our furry kids)

Reply #11
 I can put together a list  of updates and other stuff that I have done to mine if anyone is interested.

Reply #12
I too am in the hunt for a Foretravel, preferably the Grand Villa.  I read from Rudy's post that an Oshkosh chassis eliminates the problem with the bulkheads.  I need to know more about this issue. Is that comment true to all Oshkosh frames?  How do I know if I have an Oshkosh chassis?  What other issues might a person come across that could be disastrous.  I have pretty good mechanical ability (A&P mechanic) and am in Texas so not real far from the factory or the service centers.

Reply #13
If inspected and determined that it does not have a bulkhead issue, a U280, U300 is a good purchase. Pretty easy to tell and with an experienced person with you, most bulkhead issues can be seen in about one minute. A quick look at the big angle iron in the back and front, where it bolts on and if the plastic skin does not have any bulges or signs of repair. If that passes, a torque check on the Roloks should do it.

A general look at the generator, engine compartment, and propane/fuel compartment can tell if there is corrosion present. Plus, you can send high resolution (iPhone/Android) photos to the forum and get opinions in minutes. Check the electrical panel under the coach for rust/corrosion damage.

Being a A&P, you know what an aircraft tied down close to the ocean looks like. Northern coaches may look like this. Good to have history.

Pierce

Ours 1993 had several Roloks broken but with a few stainless sistered, we have had zero trouble in 12  years.
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #14
I too am in the hunt for a Foretravel, preferably the Grand Villa.  I read from Rudy's post that an Oshkosh chassis eliminates the problem with the bulkheads.  I need to know more about this issue. Is that comment true to all Oshkosh frames?  How do I know if I have an Oshkosh chassis?  What other issues might a person come across that could be disastrous.  I have pretty good mechanical ability (A&P mechanic) and am in Texas so not real far from the factory or the service centers.

Cubman, the Unihome and later the Uni coaches are built on a Foretravel built space frame.  It's concept is similar to am Army Bailey bridge, the side trusses run between the end bulkheads from just below the windows to the top of the through compartments.  The through compartments bake up the box sections that prevent the frame from twisting.  These box sections can be repaired if water and salt have gotten to them.  It's mostly labor, the material is mild steel square tubing.

The Oshkosh and John Deere frames are standard truck frames.  Everything else is just stuff.
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #15
I would recommend that you compare a 95 (or newer) Unicoach, to a 95 (or older) Unihome before making your decision.
The Unihome has a locomotive nose while that Unicoach has a more modern bus front, however, the Unihome is slightly more aerodynamic, so uses slightly less diesel.

A benefit of a Unicoach is that the floor between the driver/passenger seats is level with the floor in the living room, such that when parked and the driver/passenger seats are rotated toward the centre, they are at the same level as the living room coaches. With a Unihome, the floor between the driver/passenger seats is a step above the floor in the living room.

Another benefit of a Unicoach is that the windshield is taller, so provides a panoramic view to the front.

The difference between a 36' and 40' that you may be interested in is the difference in storage, the 36' has only 60% as much basement storage as a 40' and does not have the pantry across from the fridge.

Hope this info helps in your decision.

Wyatt
96 U320 40 WTFE, build 4943
84 Toyota Supra towd
2015 Jeep Wrangler towd
Victoria, BC, Canada

Reply #16
95 and 95 unihome had a narrower entry door and no entry door screen. 
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4