Skip to main content

Topic: Sealant to reattach waste ABS pipes to tanks? (Read 286 times) previous topic - next topic

Sealant to reattach waste ABS pipes to tanks?
I removed my tanks to do a "lite bulkhead" repair (only the black/gray bay, and a little in fresh bay).

While I had the waste pipe plumbing out, I serviced the bladex valves by replacing the cores. Much smoother operation!

I am ready to reinstall...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Sealant to reattach waste ABS pipes to tanks?
Reply #1
The plumbers putty would not be on my approved list. It is usually contained and is just for the seal. Could it of been silicone seal? RTV. A picture would clear up a lot of questions. Will it be subject to movement or removal in the future?
Scott

Reply #2
 Butyl rubber sealant would make a flexible water tight seal and be able to remove for future repairs.
Something like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-Butyl-Flex-10-1-oz-White-VOC-Compliant-Gutter-and-Flashing-Sealant-12-Pack-7079827062/205030316

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
I replaced the black tank on our 300. I bought new connecting seals because I had to destroy the originals to get the tanks out. When I reinstalled, I did not use any sealer. The seals fit nice and tight.
jor

Reply #4
Thanks all - see the picture below.

The gray stuff is kind of gummy like butyl rubber now that you mention it Doug.

Jor - my top vents and inlets went back in without damage. Did you reattach the waste pipes at the base without sealer as well?

Reply #5

There is an o-ring recessed in the end of each ABS pipe too.

I have some ABS glue on hand, but wanted to check before deploying it. Something doesn't seem right with that approach.

Thanks all!

Reply #6
On our U-240 when we had it apart  I used RectorSeal No. 5 - RectorSeal even though it is pipe dope it worked just fine.

Mike

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
Jor - my top vents and inlets went back in without damage. Did you reattach the waste pipes at the base without sealer as well?
That's what I get for not reading  your post carefully. For the bottom pipes I just used the stuff that was...

Reply #8
Anything permanent is a bad idea, and I deal with the "soft stuff" by not thinking about it and cleaning it off the pipes.  You should be able to clean it all up, install new o-rings,...

Reply #9
jor
What the heck is that?

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
What the heck is that?

Glad you asked! It's the flush valve on the toilet. I had the black tank out and felt compelled to take that photo.
jor

Reply #11
We can tell your mind is in the toilet. :))  >:D

Reply #12
Thanks everyone!

I cleaned everything up and put a thin bead of butyl rubber between the faces of the waste pipe and the face of the tank. I think it was likely superfluous though. The combo of the o-ring and hose clamp seemed to really give a...