Skip to main content
Topic: VMS Temps (Read 589 times) previous topic - next topic

VMS Temps

After completing an 1100 mile trip to Nac today, was curious what everyone considered normal for temperatures.  About the highest ambient temp we encountered was 95.

Retarder - 185 to 190
Trans Temp - 180 to 190
Coolant - 178 to 188
Manifold - 85 to as high as 110, avg. about 98
Volts - 13.8

Do these seem normal ? I love the VMS and being able to monitor everything.

Getting the Redhead installed tomorrow and a full check of the coach at NMS.
Mark & Bev
2001 U295 36'
Cummins ISC 8.3 350HP
Build #5802
Jeep Wrangler Toad

Re: VMS Temps

Reply #1
This look OK Mark,  Coolant is in the range, transmission about + 10 degrees from that, retarder another +5 degrees.  Volts are good.

Retarder can easily go much higher when it gets used.  I like to try to keep mine at 235 or less when I can.  On grades downshift and use one or two notches of retarder, minimal brakes.

Every engine is a bit different as are every driver. Learn what seems typical for your engine and look for things different from normal.

Keep your eyes on the road, trust the indicator lights for a quick look, all green? Good to go.

Reply #2
What is high for manifold temp. I was reading in the Silverleaf pamflet that the manifold temperature can tell a lot on how hot
the engine is. I need to know as it doesn't look like there is exhaust temperatures.
Peter and Frieda Morin
1999 36ft. U320 Foretravel
Build # 5436
1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport

Reply #3
My intake manifold temp consistently runs about 20 degrees above ambient which I believe is considered normal. Have never driven in temperatures below ~40 degrees so can't comment on what that might look like.

High intake manifold temp would indicate poor airflow over the CAC caused my it being dirty or low fan speed.

Steve
Steve & Sandy
2003 U320 4220 WCDS, build#6160
Motorcade #17794
USMC '67-'71

Reply #4
My intake air temp runs 10-15 degrees over ambient air temp
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #5
I missed Manifold temp.  That is incoming air temp after it goes through the turbo and then the charge air cooler and is going into the engine. About 10 degrees above ambient is good.  I have seen it higher than that but only on really hot days.  I am not sure how humidity changes this but it might decrease this difference a bit. 

It is a good indicator of CAC performance.

Thanks Steve and Bruce for filling in.

Reply #6
I know this is a "temp" topic, but on my trip this past weekend, my VMS was showing oil pressure at 19-20 PSI when idling at a stop light (in the yellow).  I checked the oil and it was full.  Is that a normal idle oil PSI?
Greg & Erin Burress
1999 U295 36 (Sold Aug 2021)
ISC 8.3 Banks Stinger
450 Watts solar
2019 Jeep Overland Hemi

Reply #7
Mine showed 15-18 psi at idle it's fine
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #8
19-20 PSI when idling

And the book on my 97 8.3, for example, lists the minimum acceptable idle pressure as 10.
jor

Reply #9
I had last winter driving up a long hill in around freezing weather on the dash a high manifold alarm, as soon as I took my foot
of the throttle the light went away. I had just started the engine below the hill so as Steve said the fans would have been on low
speed as engine temps would have been low. I would like pyrometer temps but I can't find it on the Silverleaf program. Is it
available. 
Peter and Frieda Morin
1999 36ft. U320 Foretravel
Build # 5436
1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport

Reply #10
Thanks all, the numbers are reassuring.  Special thanks to Roger for setting me up with the VMS. After having and using the System, I can't imagine myself without it, and yes Roger, I like being able to just glance at the greenlights.
The guys at NMS are giving the coach a thorough going over, new Redhead Steering Box, checking all the brakes, etc..  They have already identified a couple of air leaks and a few minor issues. They seem like a good group of guys.
Then headed to Custer for the Buffalo Roundup.
Mark & Bev
2001 U295 36'
Cummins ISC 8.3 350HP
Build #5802
Jeep Wrangler Toad

Reply #11
I think the key with VMS is that the moment something goes awry you have a chance of seeing it.  If your oil pressure is suddenly 32psi instead of 36psi while cruising down the highway it's a good bet that something is horribly wrong.