Skip to main content

Topic: Porch light relay (Read 270 times) previous topic - next topic

Porch light relay
I'm in the process of converting my porch light to LED and the "ten minute job" has turned into a project.  The light was not working, but the lighted handle did.  While trouble shooting, I lost the light at the handle.  I had been turning the...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Porch light relay
Reply #1
Cannot answer your specific question about the location of the relay, but I had a similar issue when working on my porch light.  Like yours, the green indicator was working, then stopped.  I somehow did something that blew the fuse.   Might check...

Reply #2
Seven,

I'm not for sure but it seems like it is mounted on the back side of the step well in the basement. Look for a little black box about the size of a deck of cards.

Mike

Reply #3
Seven,

I'm not for sure but it seems like it is mounted on the back side of the step well in the basement. Look for a little black box about the size of a deck of cards.

Mike
I just came...

Reply #4
Sven (lots of folks think "Seven" is more reasonable for a name  :D )

I grew up thinking that Spin of Spin and Marty fame was actually Sven.  It wasn't until later years that I learned...

Reply #5
Sven (lots of folks think "Seven" is more reasonable for a name  :D )

I never noticed the auto correct helped me out.

Mike

Reply #6
Sven,

Regarding loss of power to that circuit, did you check the fuse in the 12V panel under the foot of the bed? The fuse for the porch light
 is in that panel. The green LED is on the same fuse. I had the exact problem.

Greg

Reply #7
I  checked the fuse right after I lost power to the handle light (and green light) - I always go there first. 
The relay I mentioned earlier was the correct relay according to my test light (continuity tester).  I checked the #30 slot for power -...

Reply #8
Any chance the polarity is reversed? 
If they are working when plugged into a different power source and you have power to the outside fixture, that is the only thing I can think of.

• MarkC
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #9
Agree with DayDreamer, I had a similar issue with some inside lights, then I realized that I had the polarity reversed. Change it around and all worked fine.

Reply #10
This should be easy....
...but rarely is.

You verified the LED light is good and you have power, so the light has to work...unless, as mentioned above, the polarity is likely reversed.

Reply #11
 :-X  What can I say - fat fingers, tiny wire stubs coming out of the hole, green-white color blind....
Light works now.  Hope I don't loose one of my "gold logos".

There's something else - I'll 'splaine it under a new topic.
Thanks for the help and...

Reply #12
I never noticed the auto correct helped me out.

Mike
Just having fun.  I get all kinds of variations that I usually ignore with one exception: "Swan".  Funny that kids don't have a...