Skip to main content
Topic: Porch light relay (Read 556 times) previous topic - next topic

Porch light relay

I'm in the process of converting my porch light to LED and the "ten minute job" has turned into a project.  The light was not working, but the lighted handle did.  While trouble shooting, I lost the light at the handle.  I had been turning the switch on and off at different times and it failed to come on at one point.  The grounds are all good and I traced the problem to the porch light switch; I was not getting any power to it.  Incidentally,  the little green light at the momentary switch also went out.  While checking the wiring, I removed the interior door trim and found two white wires that were not connected to anything.  One had a cap and the other had a clean cut without cap - there was no evidence that they were connected.
My next step is to try and trace the hot wire back from the switch and find out why it isn't "hot".  Unfortunately, it goes into a mess of "spaghetti" under the kitchen cabinet.  I don't have a wiring diagram but did check the article in Beamalarm regarding touchlite control for the 2002 U320.  I don't know if I have a touchlite, but that doesn't concern me, since the article stated that it did not affect  the rest of the porch light circuit.  According to the diagram, the wire from the switch comes from the relay.  For those that have a front entry, that is located behind a magazine rack next to the passenger seat and isn't applicable in my case.
Here's my question:  Does anyone know were the porch light relay is located for a mid entry coach?
If I am not able to locate it, would another one, like the one supplying the momentary switch (overhead light) which is on the same switch panel do?  I don't think I would over load the circuit, since I'm using LED lights.
2000 U320 mid entry  #5688
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8

Re: Porch light relay

Reply #1

Cannot answer your specific question about the location of the relay, but I had a similar issue when working on my porch light.  Like yours, the green indicator was working, then stopped.  I somehow did something that blew the fuse.  Might check that if you have not already.

In the end, I replaced the lamp holders with LED strips, but the root cause of the problem was the switch located on the porch light fixture was bad which I replaced with this one.  Amazon.com: Push Button Switch Waterproof On-Off Light Wired Switches 12V...

40ft 1997 U320

Reply #2
Seven,

I'm not for sure but it seems like it is mounted on the back side of the step well in the basement. Look for a little black box about the size of a deck of cards.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #3
Seven,

I'm not for sure but it seems like it is mounted on the back side of the step well in the basement. Look for a little black box about the size of a deck of cards.

Mike
I just came from the basement, having traced the wire from the switch (there are a lot of white wires out of those harnesses).  I did notice a relay just above the coax connection; hopefully this is it.  I will look further for the black box you mentioned, thinking it may be the "Touchlite" discussed in earlier comments.  Thanks for posting.
Sven (lots of folks think "Seven" is more reasonable for a name  :D )
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8

Reply #4
Sven (lots of folks think "Seven" is more reasonable for a name  :D )

I grew up thinking that Spin of Spin and Marty fame was actually Sven.  It wasn't until later years that I learned otherwise. 

Richard
Jan & Richard Witt
1999 U-320  36ft WTFE
Build Number: 5478 Motorcade: 16599
2008 Roadtrek Adventurous RS Sprinter
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Jan: NO5U, Richard:KA5RIW
The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #6
Sven,

Regarding loss of power to that circuit, did you check the fuse in the 12V panel under the foot of the bed? The fuse for the porch light
 is in that panel. The green LED is on the same fuse. I had the exact problem.

Greg
Greg & Cathy
2000 U320 4010 DGFE Build #5650
Had: 1999 Tradewinds 7370

Reply #7
I  checked the fuse right after I lost power to the handle light (and green light) - I always go there first. 
The relay I mentioned earlier was the correct relay according to my test light (continuity tester).  I checked the #30 slot for power - not there.  That brought me back to the fuse panel and this time the fuse was bad!  That could have happened during the several hours of messing with the wires - I know my eyes didn't deceive me earlier. :o 
Now I have power to my switch and to the wires for the handle and porch light.  I hooked up the new LED lights and they did not come on.  My volt meter told me I had over 13v at the light connection.  I also had a good ground and the two bare wires did spark (fuse still good) when they accidently touched.  I plugged the connectors back in - still no light.  I then took the lights inside and plugged into an overhead fixture that I converted earlier.  The lights came on.  Any ideas why they aren't working outside?
This should be easy....
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8

Reply #8
Any chance the polarity is reversed? 
If they are working when plugged into a different power source and you have power to the outside fixture, that is the only thing I can think of.
40ft 1997 U320

Reply #9
Agree with DayDreamer, I had a similar issue with some inside lights, then I realized that I had the polarity reversed. Change it around and all worked fine.
Mark & Bev
2001 U295 36'
Cummins ISC 8.3 350HP
Build #5802
Jeep Wrangler Toad

Reply #10
...but rarely is.

You verified the LED light is good and you have power, so the light has to work...unless, as mentioned above, the polarity is likely reversed.
Of course, this is probably the first time a LED light has ever been wired wrong.  ;)  __it happens.

Greg & Cathy
2000 U320 4010 DGFE Build #5650
Had: 1999 Tradewinds 7370

Reply #11
 :-X  What can I say - fat fingers, tiny wire stubs coming out of the hole, green-white color blind....
Light works now.  Hope I don't loose one of my "gold logos".

There's something else - I'll 'splaine it under a new topic.
Thanks for the help and sticking with me.
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8

Reply #12
I never noticed the auto correct helped me out.

Mike
Just having fun.  I get all kinds of variations that I usually ignore with one exception: "Swan".  Funny that kids don't have a problem with it; it seems that a character (only non "human")  in the movie Frozen is named Sven.
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8