Skip to main content
Topic: Battery Charging for Canadian Winter storage. (Read 279 times) previous topic - next topic

Battery Charging for Canadian Winter storage.

I previously posted requesting help on winterizing for Canadian winters (plumbing,HWH etc) and thanks to all for their responses. Your knowledge and suggestions have been most helpful.

Now I would like to take it a bit further and solicit suggestions on charging my house and start batteries over the winter.
The coach is going to be parked and covered with intentions to plug the coach in to the 15 A plug I have a available, and let my inverter (Freedom 25...which will be replaced with a Magnum 2812 in the spring) charge the house batteries. I have been told I will have to keep an eye on the inverter every so often to make sure it is running correctly.

I also have been told that plugging in to shore power (15 A) will NOT charge the start batteries (I have no intention of starting the coach over the winter) so I require a trickle charger on them. I purchased a BatteryMinder 128CEC1: 12V 2/4/8 AMP Battery Charger to take care of this.

Have I got this right in the set up and requirements?  Any suggestions form the guru's would be appreciated.!
Peter

Peter    Alberta Canada
'98 U320 40'  Build 5359 M11 450 HP, Aqua hot, Blu Ox

Re: Battery Charging for Canadian Winter storage.

Reply #1
That will work. Most of us have bought a supplemental permanent mount engine battery charger such as Triklestart or Amplestart to keep the engine batteries charged.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean