Skip to main content

Topic: Deka terminator batteries (Read 504 times) previous topic - next topic

Deka terminator batteries
Bought 4 Deka AGM 8AGC2 batteries today. I'm over my wet cells gasing my compartment and everything else. I'll give a report after next week when I'm dry camping for a week. I know Lifeline are considered the best but I can buy 8 of these for the...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Deka terminator batteries
Reply #1
Just curious - not second guessing your purchase.

Did you buy the "golf cart" size 6 volt batteries because of space considerations?

Was your price ($265) the base price for each battery, or the "out the door" price?

I ask about price because the...

Reply #2
No, I had 4,  6volt golf wet batteries from the po. The bay isn't designed for wet batteries and they were almost 4 years old. $265 plus tax out the door. $1150.31 out the door with the old cores returned. This is a Deka independent dealer here...

Reply #3
No, AGM's are closer to the charging algorithms of wet cell batteries, not gels.

Reply #4
I also didn't want to deal with the 8d weight
Dan,
I am with you on the weight.  However I bit the bullet ten and a half years ago and installed Lifeline batteries.  I went with 2 volt...

Reply #5
Yes, Gel/Cold is best setting, with equalization off, switch 1 off.  Should yield 14.1 bulk for 3 hrs and float at 13.6, I would continue to moniter voltage to make sure it is operating properly.  As I remember you also have a Victron 712, if...

Reply #6
Clearly some confusion here as to what batteries you have.

If Gel, set inverter/charger to GEL

If AGM, and no AGM setting, set to WET CELL.

Obviously, if wet cell, set to WET CELL.

Reply #7
The manufacturer states that those batteries require temp compensated charging.  If your freedom 25 like my 97's was below serial number 100,000 the unit has no ability to do this. 

Correct charging voltage can vary by almost 1 volt adjusted by...

Reply #8
They are AGM, not wet cells. Wolfe said to set them at wet settings. FT is also checking. I'll eventually get a smart invertor/charger but out of funds for upgrades for now. Still need to get the new airbags installed next month and then put it...

Reply #9
If this is a Xantrex Freedom inverter/charger it IS a smart charger-- or at least semi-smart.  It is programmable.  Don't recall when they added the battery temperature option, but even prior to that you would tell it cold/hot ambient temps. I...

Reply #10
Freedom-2500 original from FT in 1996 with remote. Working fine. After charging all night it is floating at 13.4 which I believe is proper?

Reply #11
Freedom-2500 original from FT in 1996 with remote. Working fine. After charging all night it is floating at 13.4 which I believe is proper?
13.4V is the absorption phase of the charging...

Reply #12
All the correct voltage numbers are temp related.  At 90 degrees 13.4 might be correct. At 77 degrees 13.6.  At 32 degrees maybe almost 14. 

Reply #13
Good to know. Doing the Richfield Utah Rally next week and the temps will really fluctuate day and night so I'll watch it

Reply #14
FYI, the specs show 2 Deka AGM 8AGC2 Batteries are approximately equivalent to 77% ONE 8D battery. Nice to cut the weight of the 8D in half by using 6v batteries.

Reply #15
Thanks Barry. That makes me think I did the correct exchange with 4 of them

Reply #16
FYI, the specs show 2 Deka AGM 8AGC2 Batteries are approximately equivalent to 77% ONE 8D battery. Nice to cut the weight of the 8D in half by using 6v batteries.
A pair of them is 136...

Reply #17
Yes, but I could manage one at a time with 4. I couldn't have done the 8's alone so really had no choice in my circumstance. Hernia has now been 9 weeks so still running gun shy a bit

Reply #18
Ah every decision has many parts.  Thanks for the info as to why.