Skip to main content
Topic: Touchlite/grab handle (Read 399 times) previous topic - next topic

Touchlite/grab handle

I don't think my door handle touchlight has worked since I've had it.  I never knew about it.
While working on my porch light (recent discussion topic), I pulled off the interior door trim which revealed all the wires.  I found two that were disconnected, and there was no clue as to their purpose.  I'm guessing that it had to do with the touch pad.  I don't need the touchlite and am not concerned with fixing it, but there is an issue.
When I removed the lighted handle, I pulled the wire to the light through from the inside, since there appeared to be some corrosion.  After cleaning checking for continuity I tried to push them back through and found that there was no direct path to the exterior.  Poking around with a screwdriver was not useful; there is no hole, off set or otherwise.  There appears to be a flat plate and I am assuming this has something to do with the touchlite.  The only solution I can find is to drill through the plate, since I can't expose enough of it to go around.
Anyone have experience with this?
2000 U320 mid entry  #5688
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8

Re: Touchlite/grab handle

Reply #1
We need pictures.

From what I am thinking is you can fish for the wires from the outside when you push them back in from where you pushed them out of.
2014 ih45  (4th Foretravel owned)
 1997 36' U295 Sold in 2020, owned for 19 years
  U240 36' Sold to insurance company after melting in garage fire
    33' Foretravel on Dodge Chassis  Sold very long time ago

Reply #2
While working on my porch light (recent discussion topic), I pulled off the interior door trim which revealed all the wires.  I found two that were disconnected, and there was no clue as to their purpose.  I'm guessing that it had to do with the touch pad. 

Or possibly the doorbell, which has caused fires when the button got stuck/corroded so many have disconnected it.  Are the wires labeled at all?
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #3
The door bell works and the wires are not labeled.  I'm guessing that they were disconnected when the coach was repainted.  Since one wire had a plastic cap and the other was clean cut, it was done intentionally. 
It would extremely difficult to fish the wire out, since both holes are smaller than a dime.  I wouldn't even know how to go about it or which way I would go.  Any reason not to drill straight through?
Photos won't help - they would only show two small holes.
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8

Reply #4
Try some dental floss and use a vacuum from the outside and see if it will suck it back through. then use the floss to pull the wires.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #5
Tie a little piece of plastic bag to the end and it will act like a mini parachute. Used many times with tiecord. Dental floss would be even better.
Scott and Kim Davidson
If you're going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
DEGOIWKY
Don't ever get old, it will kill you
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #6
Sven I had very difficult time getting wires to go through for my overhead porch light. I tried everything wouldn't go. The new light that I had bought had a different kind of wire and I was able to push that through from the outside. When I worked on my touchpad I removed the doorbell and used that access to fish the wires through for it and I don't remember having any problems there. I like craneman's idea with the dental floss vacuum thing. just like they do them big shifts a thin line goes to a slightly thicker line to a slightly thicker line and before you know it you're able to get big lines across. I would try that I know I will the next time I need to do something like that. Craneman to the rescue again.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #7
The idea of using dental floss is brilliant, but is there a reason to go to the trouble?  I could easily drill through the metal plate.
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8