Skip to main content

Topic: Window seals DIY (Read 381 times) previous topic - next topic

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Window seals DIY
I see were John Hargarth did this in 2011 but the links are no longer current. Seems I recall reading about this but am unable to find it. Any info would be appreciated.
Cost of Windows
I am going to do two windows and would like to DIY project if...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Window seals DIY
Reply #1
Maybe this is the thread you're looking for?
Creepy Seal Repair - Creation Windows

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Yep that is the one. Thank you for finding it. Knew I had seen a current write up on it but possibly too tired to find last night.
Scott

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Well I found someone that could do the window cheaper than me. I pulled, separated, cleaned and a local window shop I had never done business with recleaned, assembled, and used hot urethane window seal machine to reseal. 30 bucks. They made it...

Reply #4
Well I found ...  a local window shop I had never done business with
Support your local small businesses. 

Reply #5
Well I found someone that could do the window cheaper than me. I pulled, separated, cleaned and a local window shop I had never done business with recleaned, assembled, and used hot urethane...

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
The desiccant foam with aluminum spacer. The hot sealing tool was really slick. He basically recycled the cooler material back into the hopper to reheat till it was running out like yogurt . Installed with no issues.
Scott

Reply #7
This sounds like a great solution. Heard many good things about Fog Doctor, but at $200 per window plus the drive, it adds up.

If contacting local shops to see if they do this kind of work, what do you ask?
Do you just ask if they can re-seal a...

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
Well to save money I had removed And separated glass. Cleaned. And was ready to reassemble. Would cost a lot to have them do that. I'm laid off so it's like paying myself. Said they could build new windows for about $250 for the 2x3 entrance...

Reply #9
I'm about to do the same. My entry door has accumulated enough moisture to turn into an aquarium. Did you call auto glass companies or window replacement businesses? It'd be great if I could find someone local rather then drive to Arkansas to...

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
Auto glass shops will be clueless. This was a dual pane replacement shop normally doing home windows. Although not what they normally did they knew how to do it. They normally just replace glass, faster than cleaning. On mine All they had to do...