Skip to main content
Topic: Window seals DIY (Read 906 times) previous topic - next topic

Window seals DIY

I see were John Hargarth did this in 2011 but the links are no longer current. Seems I recall reading about this but am unable to find it. Any info would be appreciated.
Cost of Windows
I am going to do two windows and would like to DIY project if possible. I've pulled my entry door window glass and will start trying to locate supplies
Thanks Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
If you're going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
DEGOIWKY
Don't ever get old, it will kill you
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Re: Window seals DIY

Reply #2
Yep that is the one. Thank you for finding it. Knew I had seen a current write up on it but possibly too tired to find last night.
Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
DEGOIWKY
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #3
Well I found someone that could do the window cheaper than me. I pulled, separated, cleaned and a local window shop I had never done business with recleaned, assembled, and used hot urethane window seal machine to reseal. 30 bucks. They made it look Effortless.
Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
DEGOIWKY
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #4
Well I found ...  a local window shop I had never done business with
Support your local small businesses. 
Jan & Richard Witt
1999 U-320  36ft WTFE
Build Number: 5478 Motorcade: 16599
2008 Roadtrek Adventurous RS Sprinter
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Jan: NO5U, Richard:KA5RIW
The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #5
Well I found someone that could do the window cheaper than me. I pulled, separated, cleaned and a local window shop I had never done business with recleaned, assembled, and used hot urethane window seal machine to reseal. 30 bucks. They made it look Effortless.
Scott

Very slick.  What did they use for internal separators?
"Not so  long ago we were a nation of risk takers, riding five million pounds of  thrust straight into space."  Joe Gresh
Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS

Reply #6
The desiccant foam with aluminum spacer. The hot sealing tool was really slick. He basically recycled the cooler material back into the hopper to reheat till it was running out like yogurt . Installed with no issues.
Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
DEGOIWKY
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #7
This sounds like a great solution. Heard many good things about Fog Doctor, but at $200 per window plus the drive, it adds up.

If contacting local shops to see if they do this kind of work, what do you ask?
Do you just ask if they can re-seal a thermal  dual pane window?

Thanks.
40ft 1997 U320

Reply #8

Well to save money I had removed And separated glass. Cleaned. And was ready to reassemble. Would cost a lot to have them do that. I'm laid off so it's like paying myself. Said they could build new windows for about $250 for the 2x3 entrance window. Includes being safety glass. If you have water spots I've always used a product called Glass Scrub by glass Science. They renamed it to Glass Renew.
Amazon.com: Glass Science Glass Renew - 8 oz - 3 Pack (Removes Hard Water,...
Have not tried new name stuff but manufacturer promised it's the same. Should show up any minute from Amazon. My 83 year old father-in-law steals it from me so I have to hide it. Lots of work but it does work.
Scott

Scott and Kim Davidson
DEGOIWKY
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #9
I'm about to do the same. My entry door has accumulated enough moisture to turn into an aquarium. Did you call auto glass companies or window replacement businesses? It'd be great if I could find someone local rather then drive to Arkansas to have repaired.
Build 5477
99 3602 WTFE U270C

Reply #10

Auto glass shops will be clueless. This was a dual pane replacement shop normally doing home windows. Although not what they normally did they knew how to do it. They normally just replace glass, faster than cleaning. On mine All they had to do was assemble. Prepping took way more time. If yours has water/condensation it will be stained and must be cleaned. I actually was able to get the outside cleaner than the inside. I had them install inside out and will continue cleaning with glass renew
S Amazon.com: Glass Science Glass Renew - 8 oz - 3 Pack (Removes Hard Water,...
Latter after installation. It's not that bad but I can get to it to continue cleaning.
Scott

Scott and Kim Davidson
DEGOIWKY
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834