Skip to main content

Topic: Rebuild Sheppard M100 Steering Box (Read 544 times) previous topic - next topic

Rebuild Sheppard M100 Steering Box
Need to get steering box rebuilt. Is Redhead the best place to contact? It is my understanding a core and pitman puller tool are floating around amongst members. Are they available and how does one get the process started. Thx in advance.

Re: Rebuild Sheppard M100 Steering Box
Reply #1
Need to get steering box rebuilt. Is Redhead the best place to contact?

YUP.

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Reply #2
Redhead has cores, call them to discuss. The cost to rebuild at RedHead is less if you send in your steering box vs. use one of their cores.  (I don't make the policies, I am just reporting, I suspect it is a "convenience fee" since they did...

Reply #3
Need to get steering box rebuilt. Is Redhead the best place to contact? It is my understanding a core and pitman puller tool are floating around amongst members. Are they available and...

• [*][*][*]
Reply #4
I had my oil changed and the chassis lubricated at Cummins.
They told me that the power steering gear shift box was leaking.
So I took it next door to WW Williams.
They told me I need an input shaft seal at the steering box.
So FT sells a kit of 12...

Reply #5
Biggest question--how much play is there in the steering gear (when steering straight)?

RedHead blueprints the steering box to remove the play as well as new seals, bearings, etc.

Reply #6
The input seal may leak now but the sector shaft seal will leave you stranded as it has others if it fails on the road. Lots of opinions but I had Redhead rebuild mine even though there was no play as the labor to do the box is enough to not want...

Reply #7
The input seal may leak now but the sector shaft seal will leave you stranded as it has others if it fails on the road. Lots of opinions but I had Redhead rebuild mine even though there was...

Reply #8
I have one of the nomadic pitman arm pullers.
Yell at me and I will ship forthwith.

Tim

• [*][*][*]
Reply #9
I have an appt. For Nash RV Service in Athens Ga.  It was on a list of FT services places.
Had anyone used them. Or is there another service center I can take it to on the way to Ohio from Florida.

Reply #10
Question for those in the know:  Does red head machine any part of the steering box to achieve this blue printing status ?

Reply #11
Question for those in the know:  Does red head machine any part of the steering box to achieve this blue printing status ?

My understanding (no first hand information) is that they work...

Reply #12
Thank you

Reply #13
Primarily a fitting of a small ball into a race for an exact FOT. I saw about 10 different size spheres an observed the trial and error fitting to minimize " play" in the output shaft That hand built approach to closer tolerances on those two...

• hdff
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
Need to get steering box rebuilt. Is Redhead the best place to contact? It is my understanding a core and pitman puller tool are floating around amongst members. Are they available and...

Reply #15
In the past MOT had Chalks rebuilds on the shelf They now offer RedHead on request.
Best is DIY, send in your unit for rebuild to Redhead.  Cheapest and best quality.   I'm not a DIY guy, I brought the Redhead to MOT 2+ years ago and they...

Reply #16
Redhead gave me the + size of the balls they used to rebuild mine.

• MarkC
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #17
If you go with the Redhead and by chance they are out of the PDP1, I am sending my old core back to Redhead tomorrow. NMS just finished my install. As soon as FedEx picks up the core, it will be on its way back to Redhead. I replaced mine as a...

Reply #18
Spoke with the Foretravel expert today at Redhead they have 2 units on shelf ready to go. They are $300 more than rebuilding mine. Granted if mine is really bad it could be more but steering is very tight and probably would be $200-300 less than...

Reply #19
What is the estimated cost for Redhead to rebuild your unit.?

Reply #20
One Spare core was in my possession, I ended up with a fair amount of money in it and bought a second one.
Sold:gave them to Redhead so there could be PDP1's on shelf ready to go for members.
If you have a place to do the work yourself, their...

Reply #21
From one of your earlier posts deduced you were the one that got that set up so there were some already rebuilt and on shelf. Sure could help someone out of a jackpot on the road where time is of the essence. I've got a little time and have...

Reply #22
I have read many posts on removing the Shepard steering box.  Most of the posts recommended Redhead and a few and used local shops to do the work, but I not recall anyone posting about doing the actual seal replacement and/or rebuild themselves.

Reply #23
I believe I have the seal rebuild kit in my shop. I bought it thinking the same as you that I would reseal it myself. Then decided to have Redhead rebuild it incase it had any other issues that I wouldn't have noticed. I will check later and give...

Reply #24
My understanding is there is 7 different size ball bearings that may be needed.  If the races themselves that are in the sector arm are worn that maybe required.  As the biggest expense and work is the removal and reinstallation you might find...