Skip to main content
Topic: Rebuild Sheppard M100 Steering Box (Read 1673 times) previous topic - next topic

Rebuild Sheppard M100 Steering Box

Need to get steering box rebuilt. Is Redhead the best place to contact? It is my understanding a core and pitman puller tool are floating around amongst members. Are they available and how does one get the process started. Thx in advance.
2001 4010 U320
Build 5875

Re: Rebuild Sheppard M100 Steering Box

Reply #1
Need to get steering box rebuilt. Is Redhead the best place to contact?

YUP.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #2
Redhead has cores, call them to discuss. The cost to rebuild at RedHead is less if you send in your steering box vs. use one of their cores.  (I don't make the policies, I am just reporting, I suspect it is a "convenience fee" since they did actually buy the cores, at least two of them from me.)  There are other sources of the steer boxes, but the Foretravel unit is not widely used and available - in most cases it is a "PDP1"

Redhead is in Auburn WA, Google it and when you call ask for the sales person that handles the Foretravel Sheppard PDP1 - one persone there is the most knowledgeable.

there are Pitman arm pullers in the hands of the membership, I suspect they will chime in

Are you new to the forum?  if so, welcome!
Tim Fiedler    2000  Foretravel U-320 4010
2000 Chevy Tracker 2 Door Convertible 4WD Now lifted 4.5"
1985 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston
Murphy Rebel on wheels with 175HP Titan
Cessna 185 on Aerocet 3500 straight floats. (1/4 share)
1980 48' Westport MY (!/4 Share)

Reply #3
Need to get steering box rebuilt. Is Redhead the best place to contact? It is my understanding a core and pitman puller tool are floating around amongst members. Are they available and how does one get the process started. Thx in advance.
You need to use the search function and read how forum members have done it. This is only a DIY if you have the right tools and the ability to use them. Some tools are above the level of most mechanics for example 5/8" hex socket 3/4" drive or 1/2" drive and adaptor to 3/4" A torque wrench that goes to 350 lbs. or the ability to make a device to get the torque. Also needed are devices to lift and lower the box or a strong helper. Different models can be done different ways.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #4
I had my oil changed and the chassis lubricated at Cummins.
They told me that the power steering gear shift box was leaking.
So I took it next door to WW Williams.
They told me I need an input shaft seal at the steering box.
So FT sells a kit of 12 seals or so.
I'm not sure what to do.
Do I need a whole new box or just get the seal or seals replaced.  It steers fine.
I'm not too confident with Williams. Even though the have a good reputation nation wide and they have replaced gearboxes I'm sure they have never done this on a Foretravel.
I came down to Florida where I am at now.
I keep an eye on the fluid level and add when needed.
Rick & MJ Berry
1998 U320 40'
Ohio

Reply #5
Biggest question--how much play is there in the steering gear (when steering straight)?

RedHead blueprints the steering box to remove the play as well as new seals, bearings, etc.
Brett Wolfe

Reply #6
The input seal may leak now but the sector shaft seal will leave you stranded as it has others if it fails on the road. Lots of opinions but I had Redhead rebuild mine even though there was no play as the labor to do the box is enough to not want to have to do it again for 20 years or so.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.

Reply #7
The input seal may leak now but the sector shaft seal will leave you stranded as it has others if it fails on the road. Lots of opinions but I had Redhead rebuild mine even though there was no play as the labor to do the box is enough to not want to have to do it again for 20 years or so.

X2 rebuild it.

2000 GV320 4010 build #5712  2019-?
1999 Bounder 2000-2008
Bardstown, KY
🥃The Bourbon Capital of the World🥃

Reply #8
I have one of the nomadic pitman arm pullers.
Yell at me and I will ship forthwith.

Tim
Tim Dianics
Pam Sapienza
Vader PupZilla Labrador Canine (AKA Pup)
Columbia, MO
1996 U320 4000

Reply #9
I have an appt. For Nash RV Service in Athens Ga.  It was on a list of FT services places.
Had anyone used them. Or is there another service center I can take it to on the way to Ohio from Florida.
Rick & MJ Berry
1998 U320 40'
Ohio

Reply #10
Question for those in the know:  Does red head machine any part of the steering box to achieve this blue printing status ?
John Patrick
2002 U270

Reply #11
Question for those in the know:  Does red head machine any part of the steering box to achieve this blue printing status ?

My understanding (no first hand information) is that they work with much closer bearing tolerances than OE to remove play.
Brett Wolfe

Reply #12
Thank you
John Patrick
2002 U270

Reply #13
Primarily a fitting of a small ball into a race for an exact FOT. I saw about 10 different size spheres an observed the trial and error fitting to minimize " play" in the output shaft That hand built approach to closer tolerances on those two parts are the primary difference I am told I visited Red Head I have not seen the process at other shops

Reply #14

Your sig doesn't say where your at but there's a place in Houston that has a good reputation too. I live outside Houston and they rebuilt mine, they did a good job and no shipping charges.
Truck Services - Houston - Chalk's Truck Parts

Keith
The selected media item is not currently available.Keith & Jo
2003 U320T 4025 PBBS Designer series
Build 6203    Cummins 500hp
2000 U320 4010 WTFE / Build 5762 —Sold—
Motorcade #18070   
Pasadena, Texas
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-Sunset Orange pearl coat
Don't argue with a fool, people watching might not be able to tell the difference.

Reply #15
In the past MOT had Chalks rebuilds on the shelf They now offer RedHead on request.
Best is DIY, send in your unit for rebuild to Redhead.  Cheapest and best quality.  I'm not a DIY guy, I brought the Redhead to MOT 2+ years ago and they installed.
Then I got the Redhead core thing going with my two cores ( don't ask why I had two...) Any good rebuild will work, but I have beat zero play I. My wheel. Some front end parts, tie in reset and a new steering box did it I did not wait for seals to fail, did a proactive swap

Reply #16
Redhead gave me the + size of the balls they used to rebuild mine.

Reply #17
If you go with the Redhead and by chance they are out of the PDP1, I am sending my old core back to Redhead tomorrow. NMS just finished my install. As soon as FedEx picks up the core, it will be on its way back to Redhead. I replaced mine as a preventative measure and am anxious to see if I notice the difference.
Mark & Bev
2001 U295 36'
Cummins ISC 8.3 350HP
Build #5802
Jeep Wrangler Toad

Reply #18
Spoke with the Foretravel expert today at Redhead they have 2 units on shelf ready to go. They are $300 more than rebuilding mine. Granted if mine is really bad it could be more but steering is very tight and probably would be $200-300 less than their inventoried units. So it boils down to how soon do I need. I thought I had read on posts that a couple spare cores were floating around was hoping to find one and get everything set so rebuild could be done and install set when it shipped back.
2001 4010 U320
Build 5875

Reply #19
What is the estimated cost for Redhead to rebuild your unit.?
40ft 1997 U320

Reply #20
One Spare core was in my possession, I ended up with a fair amount of money in it and bought a second one.
Sold:gave them to Redhead so there could be PDP1's on shelf ready to go for members.
If you have a place to do the work yourself, their turnaround is 1-2 business days plus the two way ground shipping time

Tim Fiedler
Gen-Pro.biz
630 240-9139

Reply #21
From one of your earlier posts deduced you were the one that got that set up so there were some already rebuilt and on shelf. Sure could help someone out of a jackpot on the road where time is of the essence. I've got a little time and have someone to install was hoping to save the extra dough. May just have to pay the extra $2-300. For the convenience of remove and install in 1 day. Afraid if I get mechanic to pull it out of coach he may not show back up to install. He's used to working on trucks and equipment and no crawling under a coach, lol.
2001 4010 U320
Build 5875

Reply #22
I have read many posts on removing the Shepard steering box.  Most of the posts recommended Redhead and a few and used local shops to do the work, but I not recall anyone posting about doing the actual seal replacement and/or rebuild themselves.

Mine is not leaking, but based on all I have read, it is just a matter of time.  In preparation for that day, or if I can get to it ahead of a failure, I have been reading as much as I can, but have a couple questions:

1.      Does the typical job just involve replacing the seals or are there other "wear" components that are checked and replaced as needed.  Based on info from Redhead's website, seems like they might verify some measurements, possibly replace the needle bearings and possibly replace the balls with upsized balls if needed.  For those that have used Redhead or other shops, what parts other than the seals were replaced?

2.      Has anyone completed the seal replacement and other repairs (if needed) themselves?  If so, please share your experience, part numbers, etc.

3.      Anybody have details on the required seal kits?  Is the steering box  serial number visible while installed (coach is in storage) that I can use to call the manufacture and determine the required seal kit/parts? 

Google found a couple service manuals which appear to provide pretty detailed seal replacement instructions and generically list available repair kits.  I have only glanced through them, but does not look like a complicated job....removal and installation of the box appear to be much, much more difficult.  Shepard also has some videos that look helpful.

Amazon (and other sites) have seal kits, but not certain if they are the correct ones or if other parts might also be required.

Possible source for bearings

Shepard Instructional Videos

Thoughts?
40ft 1997 U320

Reply #23
I believe I have the seal rebuild kit in my shop. I bought it thinking the same as you that I would reseal it myself. Then decided to have Redhead rebuild it incase it had any other issues that I wouldn't have noticed. I will check later and give you the information off the package if I can find it. My round tuit list has me backed up on spare parts.

Reply #24
My understanding is there is 7 different size ball bearings that may be needed.  If the races themselves that are in the sector arm are worn that maybe required.  As the biggest expense and work is the removal and reinstallation you might find the best outcome is to have a pro that does this everyday do the job?
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4