Skip to main content
Topic: IH-45 lifts front wheel of the tow truck  (Read 1119 times) previous topic - next topic

IH-45 lifts front wheel of the tow truck

Crazy story. Last night I became stranded on i5 above Yreka, Ca.  After 7 hours searching for a tow truck, I was able to get a wrecker who would agree to tow our 2013 IH 45 (54k, plus full tanks and payload). He had the largest tow truck in a 150 mile radios. 

Once we were all hooked, the tow truck started to go forward And the front wheels of the tow truck WENT IN THE AIR! It's was crazy.

He could only go about 35 miles per hour and had to slowdown, very carefully ahead of time, before each bridge. The lifted coach only had 2 inches Of clearance, under the bridge and was Porpoising (bouncing) when  he hit his brakes.
The trip was 101 miles down to Redding. To make a long story short. Pray you don't ever have to Crazy story. Last night I became stranded on i5 above Yreka, Ca.  . After 7 hours tow truck I was able to get a wrecker who would agree to tow me our 2013 IH 45 (54k dry), Once we were all hooked, the tow truck started to go forward the front wheels of the tow truck went in the air! It's was crazy. He could only go about 35 miles per hour and had to slow down each time we came to a bridge because the coach only had 2 inches clearance under the bridge and was Porpoising (bouncing)  When he hit his rear brakes. The travel time was 3 hours to travel 101 miles down to Redding. Pray you don't have to have a tow from Oregon state line and Redding, Ca.

To make a long story short. We arrived safe, now it's time to change my pants.

Rodney Nielsen
2017 IH-45
Toad: G-Wagen G63 or EQS 580 (on trailer)

Re: IH-45 lifts front wheel of the tow truck

Reply #1
Were the axles pulled?
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #2
Yup, axles OR drive shaft (after indexing drive shaft).
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #3
Yes. The drive line was pulled. 
Rodney Nielsen
2017 IH-45

Reply #4
Quiet an experience.. What was wrong with your coach?
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #5
The DPF pressure sensor went off and shut the engine off. The filter was totally clogged and the temp hit 1,650 degrees.  Thankful we didn't burn to the ground. The Damage is being assessed and discovery of why the fixture logged and repairs will be made. It's at Peterson Cat. They service Cummins and have been wonderful because they have jumped oed right on it without delay. 
Rodney Nielsen
2017 IH-45

Reply #6
Making sense of your sensors: DPF differential pressure sensor | Delphi Auto...
Wow this sound expensive. Did they tow with tag down and working? Glad it all ended up okay. That is one big rig. Please keep us in the loop.
Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
If you're going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
DEGOIWKY
Don't ever get old, it will kill you
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #7
Sounds like automatic regeneration was not working.  Software failure, or hardware failure?  Complicated system.  Good luck!
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #8
My ISXs would cut engine power to 45 mph when muffler plugged with failure to burn off. We had that happen time after time on the road before we put a stop to it.. Good your unit survived the tow and hopefully back on the road soon.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #9
My ISXs would cut engine power to 45 mph when muffler plugged with failure to burn off. We had that happen time after time on the road before we put a stop to it.. Good your unit survived the tow and hopefully back on the road soon.

What would you do when to limited you?

Mind telling us how you finally put a stop to it?
2014 ih45  (4th Foretravel owned)
 1997 36' U295 Sold in 2020, owned for 19 years
  U240 36' Sold to insurance company after melting in garage fire
    33' Foretravel on Dodge Chassis  Sold very long time ago

Reply #10
Had to limp into a shop that was equipped to burn off ceramic insert. The way I stopped it was trade down to pre emissions engine'sSeems extreme but I was loosing to much in down time over the issue.. There is another way but it isn't legal and probably impossible in California and the penalties are to great in California and some other states to always have in the back of ones mind.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #11
The issue isn't a Cummins issue.. All  engine manufactures share the same issues .These problems are what created the market for class 8 "kits" where a truck manufacturer would use a new cab and frame equipped with a rebuilt pre emission engine and rebuilt transmission and many smaller companies and owner operators would buy them instead.. The government has threatened if they haven't by now to put an end to that.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #12
The parts alone from Cummings are over 7k.  It's a pretty big job to not only replace the DPF, but everything else that got melted from the heat and fix the original reason why the filter was clogged.

I believe I'm going to be in the market for a fire suppression system. This was a  wry close call. 
Rodney Nielsen
2017 IH-45

Reply #13
The issue isn't a Cummins issue.. All  engine manufactures share the same issues .These problems are what created the market for class 8 "kits" where a truck manufacturer would use a new cab and frame equipped with a rebuilt pre emission engine and rebuilt transmission and many smaller companies and owner operators would buy them instead.. The government has threatened if they haven't by now to put an end to that.
Ca. Air Resource Board now requires a 2011 or newer engine even on my '81 International. I will have to sell it out of state.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #14
I believe I'm going to be in the market for a fire suppression system. This was a  wry close call. 

I do not know if a fire suppression system system would put out a fire and keep it out when you have that much heat.  Now having an alarm when the area get hotter then normal might be a good idea

Got any pictures of the damage and what all got damaged from the heat.
2014 ih45  (4th Foretravel owned)
 1997 36' U295 Sold in 2020, owned for 19 years
  U240 36' Sold to insurance company after melting in garage fire
    33' Foretravel on Dodge Chassis  Sold very long time ago

Reply #15
I actually left the coach in redding because I had to get the Bay Area for a wedding. I will get some pics soon as I head back up.
Rodney Nielsen
2017 IH-45

Reply #16
The parts alone from Cummings are over 7k.  It's a pretty big job to not only replace the DPF, but everything else that got melted from the heat and fix the original reason why the filter was clogged.

$7,000 is more than several nights at the Queen Elizabeth, René-Lévesque Blvd.  Maybe in lieu of a fire suppression system, a temperature monitor for the hot spot with a pre-set alarm is in order.
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #17
The parts needed to repair the coach is as follows.
1. Diesel Oxidization Catalyst
2. Diesel Particulate Filter
3. Aftertreatment Fuel Dosing Valve
4. Fuel Injector for #6 cylinder

At this point in time, it seems that the #6 injector is misfiring and the after-treatment dosing valve is not atomizing fuel properly. This has caused the platinum/zeolite coating to wash off the surface of the DOC and caused a thermal event in the particulate filter.
Rodney Nielsen
2017 IH-45

Reply #18

At this point in time, it seems that the #6 injector is misfiring

Since you have a 2013, which likely has a 600 or 650 ISX, have they verified that you don't have the well-known dreaded dropped valve/seat ISX failure?

Cummins ISX broken valve in #6 - iRV2 Forums

See also pugmom's ISX 500 issue with the DPF

ISX engines
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach