Skip to main content

Topic: IH-45 lifts front wheel of the tow truck  (Read 671 times) previous topic - next topic

Monti and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
IH-45 lifts front wheel of the tow truck
Crazy story. Last night I became stranded on i5 above Yreka, Ca.  After 7 hours searching for a tow truck, I was able to get a wrecker who would agree to tow our 2013 IH 45 (54k, plus full tanks and payload). He had the largest tow truck in a 150...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: IH-45 lifts front wheel of the tow truck
Reply #1
Were the axles pulled?

Reply #2
Yup, axles OR drive shaft (after indexing drive shaft).

Reply #3
Yes. The drive line was pulled. 

• Dub
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
Quiet an experience.. What was wrong with your coach?

Reply #5
The DPF pressure sensor went off and shut the engine off. The filter was totally clogged and the temp hit 1,650 degrees.  Thankful we didn't burn to the ground. The Damage is being assessed and discovery of why the fixture logged and repairs will...

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
Making sense of your sensors: DPF differential pressure sensor | Delphi Auto...
Wow this sound expensive. Did they tow with tag down and working? Glad it all ended up okay. That is one big rig. Please keep us in the loop.
Scott

Reply #7
Sounds like automatic regeneration was not working.  Software failure, or hardware failure?  Complicated system.  Good luck!

• Dub
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
My ISXs would cut engine power to 45 mph when muffler plugged with failure to burn off. We had that happen time after time on the road before we put a stop to it.. Good your unit survived the tow and hopefully back on the road soon.

Reply #9
My ISXs would cut engine power to 45 mph when muffler plugged with failure to burn off. We had that happen time after time on the road before we put a stop to it.. Good your unit survived the tow...

• Dub
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
Had to limp into a shop that was equipped to burn off ceramic insert. The way I stopped it was trade down to pre emissions engine'sSeems extreme but I was loosing to much in down time over the issue.. There is another way but it isn't legal and...

• Dub
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
The issue isn't a Cummins issue.. All  engine manufactures share the same issues .These problems are what created the market for class 8 "kits" where a truck manufacturer would use a new cab and frame equipped with a rebuilt pre emission engine...

Reply #12
The parts alone from Cummings are over 7k.  It's a pretty big job to not only replace the DPF, but everything else that got melted from the heat and fix the original reason why the filter was clogged.

I believe I'm going to be in the market for a...

Reply #13
The issue isn't a Cummins issue.. All  engine manufactures share the same issues .These problems are what created the market for class 8 "kits" where a truck manufacturer would use a new cab and...

Reply #14
I believe I'm going to be in the market for a fire suppression system. This was a  wry close call. 

I do not know if a fire suppression system system would put out a fire and keep it out when...

Reply #15
I actually left the coach in redding because I had to get the Bay Area for a wedding. I will get some pics soon as I head back up.

Reply #16
The parts alone from Cummings are over 7k.  It's a pretty big job to not only replace the DPF, but everything else that got melted from the heat and fix the original reason why the filter was...

Reply #17
The parts needed to repair the coach is as follows.
1. Diesel Oxidization Catalyst
2. Diesel Particulate Filter
3. Aftertreatment Fuel Dosing Valve
4. Fuel Injector for #6 cylinder

At this point in time, it seems that the #6 injector is misfiring and...

Reply #18

At this point in time, it seems that the #6 injector is misfiring

Since you have a 2013, which likely has a 600 or 650 ISX, have they verified that you don't have the well-known dreaded...