Skip to main content

Topic: Looking for a Grand Villa (Read 767 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking for a Grand Villa
First of all, thanks to Gear Jammer for posting the original thread that I was about to hijack.  I am also looking for a GV and have located one in Oklahoma City that looks ok but the problem is trying to get the owner to provide any info.  They...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Looking for a Grand Villa
Reply #1
Cubman I'm about 30 miles away and would be happy to go look at it with you.   Your profile doesn't say where you are.

Reply #2
  Is it possible to tell what frame is under it from the photos? 

It appears to be an O22C (Oshkosh) with the short bay doors and the latches at the top is the give away, combined with the...

Reply #3
Cubman I'm about 30 miles away and would be happy to go look at it with you.   Your profile doesn't say where you are.

Thanks for the offer.  I'm in the Ft. Worth area.  If I can get some...

Reply #4
I read on another threat that the Oshkosh frames do not have problems with the bulkhead.  Is this true?  If so what kind of problems might I come across that could be a deal breaker?

Reply #5
Water intrusion. 

Reply #6
That coach has springs and also hydraulic brakes just so that you know.

Reply #7
Are springs and hydraulic brakes a bad thing for motor homes?

Reply #8
No, but air bags and air brakes are better
IMHO

Reply #9
It may ride a little harsh and stop only fair.  Drive it a bit before you discount it tho.

Reply #10
The Detroit Fuel Pincher engine is very low on power...if you're not going to tow that may be fine, but just know that you will be in the slow lane on any grades.

Reply #11
Juice brakes stop hard from speed once.  Maybe twice. That's with fresh brake fluid. 

Springs are bouncy.

8,2 does not like big grades.

Reply #12
Several of our older fire trucks had juice brakes. Some stopped OK, others didn't. The air drums on the later apparatus were 10" wide and the trucks could easily lock up all 6 wheels without any effort. They did have more fade and that's the...

Reply #13
That FB ad is posted by Carter's Auto "Commerce Profile" If you look closely he sells boats, cars, etc. on FB Marketplace.
Sounds like the GV was for personal use for the last 6 years.
Good luck.

Reply #14
Just FYI there are several different qualities of DOT 3 and DOT 4 brake fluid that have wet boiling points from in the 250 plus degree to over 500 degree wet boiling point (wet boiling point is when the system has been opened and moisture allowed...

Reply #15
Thanks for all the replies here folks but some of the jargon being used is unfamiliar to me.  For instance fuel pincher...or O22C....I can figure out juice brakes.  Please keep in mind that I'm here because I need expert advice and its a fairly...

Reply #16
Is there an immediate way to tell an Oshkosh chassis Grand Villa from a non-Oshkosh chassis GV? 

Reply #17
Oshkosh has one shock and 1 airbag at each corner.
Fore travel has 2 shocks and 2 airbags per corner.
Oshkosh storage doors tip down     ,the cabinet is only about 28 in deep.
FT tip up with gas struts and the cabinet is very deep or full width.

Reply #18
Juice brakes require regular careful fluid changes as the fluid absorbs water vapor and then boils over a few years.  Scary in  mountains at speed.  Trust me.  Sold them new.

Slow careful drivers had lower problems. 

Oshkosh faded also I used...

Reply #19
The fuel pincher is what Detroit Diesel called the the 8.2 engine which is a v8   4 cycle engine. O22C is the designation for that particular Oskosh chassis.

Reply #20
Oshkosh has one shock and 1 airbag at each corner.
Fore travel has 2 shocks and 2 airbags per corner.
Oshkosh storage doors tip down     ,the cabinet is only about 28 in deep.
FT tip...

Reply #21
Oshkosh storage doors tip down     ,the cabinet is only about 28 in deep. Hinged at bottom .
FT tip up with gas struts and the cabinet is very deep or full width. Hinged at top .

Reply #22
With experience you can tell but it takes time.

• JimO
  • [*]
Reply #23
We owned a 1991 Grand Villa with the non airbag chassis for 15 years. This unit had the 250hp Cummins diesel that was absolutely  trouble free and gave us 10mpg towing a jeep. Hills were not a problem unless you ended up having to slow down to...

Reply #24
The 91 22c had a spicer 710 steering box that requires the steering box to be recentered after initial breakin.  Fixed countless coaches wander