Skip to main content
Topic: Axle Covers for Towing (Read 1238 times) previous topic - next topic

Axle Covers for Towing

Finally got around to making axle covers in the event towing is required.  Trying to do appropriate preventive maintenance to lessen the likelihood of needing a tow, but want to be prepared in case the tow truck does not have covers.

Following the lead of others, I decided to make them vs purchasing them pre-made.  Sorry, read that post weeks ago and do not remember from whom I got the idea.

Used two small cutting boards from Walmart (do not have the exact cost, but less than $2.00 each) and gaskets from Fleet Pride (part AG0111 are $1.99 each plus tax or alternate numbers Stemco 330-3036 or 330-111). So all in at about $10.00 in parts including tax.

Taped a gasket to one of the cutting boards to use as a template and traced the outline.
Clamped then screwed both cutting boards to a scrap piece of OSB.
Used a 5/8" spade bit to drill the holes and a saber saw to cut out the covers.

Will include 16 each 5/8 washers and a couple heavy duty trash bags (to store the pulled axles) along with these covers and gaskets in case towing is required. 

Happy with the outcome, but hope they are never needed.
40ft 1997 U320

Re: Axle Covers for Towing

Reply #1
I was towed 37 miles at 60 mph in Kansas. The tow driver disconnected the drive shaft and had no problems at all. Axels were never touched. From the time he arrived until I was underway was less than 1 hour. Just saying.
1994 U280, Build 4490
Deming, NM.

Reply #2
I was towed 37 miles at 60 mph in Kansas. The tow driver disconnected the drive shaft and had no problems at all. Axels were never touched. From the time he arrived until I was underway was less than 1 hour. Just saying.
Yes, I understand that is the other option.  Each approach seems to have its pros and cons.  I do not currently have a preference, but interested in opinions.

Pulling the axles seems like more work as half the lugs have to be removed to remove the hub cap, then still have to remove the axle nuts and there will be draining oil to catch.

Disconnecting the drive shaft means being under coach and preferably it would be marked/indexed so it can be put back the same.
40ft 1997 U320

Reply #3
Each approach seems to have its pros and cons.
Excellent report on a nice shop project.  Well done!  ^.^d

Having the axle cover set on hand gives you the option of being towed either way...whatever works best under the circumstances.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #4
Yes, I understand that is the other option.  Each approach seems to have its pros and cons.  I do not currently have a preference, but interested in opinions.
Pulling the axles seems like more work as half the lugs have to be removed to remove the hub cap, then still have to remove the axle nuts and there will be draining oil to catch.
Disconnecting the drive shaft means being under coach and preferably it would be marked/indexed so it can be put back the same.
You have way more faith in a tow truck driver than I do. How many tow truck drivers are going to mark the driveshaft? How many shops are going to torque the fasteners correctly? If they even have all of them. And incorrect reassembly may not show it's ugly head for thousands of miles. I had a driveshaft come loose back in the late 1950's while driving to Mazatlan. The Ford factory in Hermosillo put it on a rack and replace the bolts for free.

Get rid of the cover that requires every other nut be taken off and install the 8 inch stainless axle covers. One second and they are off and ten minutes later, the coach can be towed.

I have a pair of the old style axle covers for free and only want shipping costs.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #5
The drive shaft does NOT need to be marked. He disconnected only one end.
1994 U280, Build 4490
Deming, NM.

Reply #6
You have way more faith in a tow truck driver than I do. How many tow truck drivers are going to mark the driveshaft? How many shops are going to torque the fasteners correctly? If they even have all of them. And incorrect reassembly may not show it's ugly head for thousands of miles.

Pierce
Pierce
I agree 100%. Don't make your own bad "luck"
Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
If you're going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
DEGOIWKY
Don't ever get old, it will kill you
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #7
The drive shaft does NOT need to be marked. He disconnected only one end.
When you pull these caps to disconnect the driveshaft there are needle bearings that many times come loose and you have to hang the shaft with ratchet tie or something so it won't fall out of the splines. My guess is to raise the coach add the safety stands and remove the caps, would  take about as long as pulling the axles. When the caps are replaced at a shop if they lose a needle bearing you are not going to find out about it until the u-joint gets replaced.
reply #6

Ride height question

1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #8
When you pull these caps to disconnect the driveshaft there are needle bearings that many times come loose and you have to hang the shaft with ratchet tie or something so it won't fall out of the splines. My guess is to raise the coach add the safety stands and remove the caps, would  take about as long as pulling the axles. When the caps are replaced at a shop if they lose a needle bearing you are not going to find out about it until the u-joint gets replaced.
I believe he may have removed these as there were parts he gave to the shop to use when they replaced the driveshaft.

Anyhow, it was a piece of cake.
1994 U280, Build 4490
Deming, NM.

Reply #9
I believe he may have removed these as there were parts he gave to the shop to use when they replaced the driveshaft.

Anyhow, it was a piece of cake.
I think the point was that there are lots of opportunities for things to go wrong. Bad weather, mud, tow truck driver from the Netflix series "Ozark," etc. These things may shorten the life of components. Guess I don't trust much.

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #10
I think the point was that there are lots of opportunities for things to go wrong. Bad weather, mud, tow truck driver from the Netflix series "Ozark," etc. These things may shorten the life of components. Guess I don't trust much.

Pierce
I do not trust much either which is why I try to do most repairs myself.  I might not get it right, but at least I know what was done and learn from the experience.

Do you have a link for an example "no bolt" hub cover what will fit?  I saw a couple on Amazon but not sure how deep they need to be to fit.
40ft 1997 U320

Reply #11
I do not trust much either which is why I try to do most repairs myself.  I might not get it right, but at least I know what was done and learn from the experience.

Do you have a link for an example "no bolt" hub cover what will fit?  I saw a couple on Amazon but not sure how deep they need to be to fit.
Here is just one example for a 8.5 inch axle: Semi Truck Hubcaps - Best Semi Axle Covers & Chrome Hub Covers | Iowa80 Always good to give them a call so everyone is on the same page.

Update: The axle diameter on our 1993 U300 is exactly 8.5 inches with 5/8 inch studs. Measure yours before ordering.

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #12
When I broke down I was going to pull my own drive shaft, one end and tie it up. Then they showed up with a lowboy transport trailer. Winched me on and away we went down I90 west, only we were east bound in the west bound lane. That guy was half crazy, but really careful with our coach. What a day that was, blew a stainless braded fuel line on the very back of the engine. Mines a rear radiator model.
92 Grand Villa
Silver 6v92
 side isle.
build# 3973

Reply #13
Love the cutting board covers at the top of the post!

P
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #15
DayDreamer showed us (first post in this thread) how to make your own axle caps for towing.  Excellent project!  ^.^d

For those who either don't have the tools to make their own caps, or are too lazy (like me), the other option is buying them.

Thought I would add a few photos showing where you can purchase them, what you get, and the current (2020) price.

I always carry my set on our coach...whilst hoping that I totally wasted my money and will never need to use them.

Question for the group:  Why do the store bought caps include the small holes with red removable plugs?

Hint: I don't know the answer.

Reply #16
Thank you Chuck for info on covers.  Prior to learning about the positive aspects of pulling the axels, I was towed twice.  The first time the driver beat off the caps with a hammer, the shop said they needed to be replaced.  The second time the shop told me there were parts missing, so the joint had to be replaced.  Now I'll order the end caps and have the tow driver pull the axels.
97 U295 40, Build #5040, 6C8.3 325 HP
Oregon Continuous Traveler
Samsung Residential #RF20HFENBSR,
Xantrex SW2012, (3)AGM8D Hse, (2)AGM Grp24 Eng, Victron BMV-712, 1800w Solar 4 LG & 2 Sunpower
Extreme Full Body Pt w/hdlmps, new furn/floor, 4 down Lexus 2004 GX470 AWD curb weight 4,740 lbs
Prev: 1990 Barth, 10L 300 2 yrs; 91&92 Monaco Signature, 10 yrs, 10L C 300 &  6C8.3 300; 1997 ForeT 6C8.3 325 since May 2017.  Employed by Guaranty RV 14+ yrs.  Former VW New Car Dlr/Service Dlr, Sales Mgr, Rv Sales, and Service Adviser from 1968-2017
"Don't criticize what you can't understand" Bob Dylan

Reply #17
Chuck,

They are plugs, probably to enable oil to be added in case the coach was at an angle and a lot ran out when the downside axle was pulled. Just my guess.

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #18
Chuck,

They are plugs, probably to enable oil to be added in case the coach was at an angle and a lot ran out when the downside axle was pulled. Just my guess.

Pierce
Never thought about it before but don't the rotating axles bring the oil to the wheel bearings? Adding oil through that hole would overfill the rear end but protect the wheel bearing while being towed.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.

Reply #19
Never thought about it before but don't the rotating axles bring the oil to the wheel bearings? Adding oil through that hole would  overfill the rear end but protect the wheel bearing while being towed.
Yes, but say the failure on the coach resulted in it being parked with one axle much lower than the other. When the lower axle was pulled. would enough oil go out on the ground or in a bucket to require refilling the rear end? Normally, in a full floating rear end, the bearing/hub stays in place and should block enough oil from escaping that it should not be a problem. Can't think of another reason and if it were not so late, I would call the guy and ask. By tomorrow, the thought will be gone.

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #20
Read the description "for adding oil"

Olson & Co. 10-Piece Motorcoach Axle Cap Set

Reply #21
Thanx, Chuck!  Question answered...but brings up more.

1.  What kind of oil?  The same stuff you put in the rear differential?  85W140?
2.  How much would you add?
3.  Would need a way to squirt the oil through that little hole.

Reply #22
Thanx, Chuck!  Question answered...but brings up more.

1.  What kind of oil?  The same stuff you put in the rear differential?  85W140?
2.  How much would you add?
3.  Would need a way to squirt the oil through that little hole.
The quart bottles usually have a tapered spout for filling and a little cap that goes over the end. Quick snip and squeeze the bottle into the hole and then put the cap on the rest of the bottle. Valvoline here: Amazon.com: Valvoline - VV831 High Performance SAE 80W-90 Gear Oil 1 QT:...

Depends on how much was lost.

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #23

I would use the 85/140 as that is the weight of the original oil. I still have two 15 gal. containers of Pennzoil 85/140 so I won't be going to synthetic just to be able to use some of it.

Amazon.com: ValvolineHigh Performance SAE 85W-140 Gear Oil 1 QT: Automotive

Reply #24
Chuck I may have sent you a set of defective covers. I'll contact legal and see what they want to do. I think I'm not going to worry about added oil because they were serviced prior to being pulled and however much oil is retained will be enough to be towed several Hundred miles IMO. Very little oil is needed to perform at rated values. I doubt any oil migrates out on the outside of a spinning shaft (axle). Got a answer from legal, she is not concerned. Your double your cash back guarantee stands.
Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
If you're going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
DEGOIWKY
Don't ever get old, it will kill you
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834