Skip to main content

Topic: Axle Covers for Towing (Read 546 times) previous topic - next topic

Axle Covers for Towing
Finally got around to making axle covers in the event towing is required.  Trying to do appropriate preventive maintenance to lessen the likelihood of needing a tow, but want to be prepared in case the tow truck does not have covers.

Following...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• Twig
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Axle Covers for Towing
Reply #1
I was towed 37 miles at 60 mph in Kansas. The tow driver disconnected the drive shaft and had no problems at all. Axels were never touched. From the time he arrived until I was underway was less than 1 hour. Just saying.

Reply #2
I was towed 37 miles at 60 mph in Kansas. The tow driver disconnected the drive shaft and had no problems at all. Axels were never touched. From the time he arrived until I was underway was less...

Reply #3
Each approach seems to have its pros and cons.
Excellent report on a nice shop project.  Well done!  ^.^d

Having the axle cover set on hand gives you the option of being towed either...

Reply #4
Yes, I understand that is the other option.  Each approach seems to have its pros and cons.  I do not currently have a preference, but interested in opinions.
Pulling the axles seems like...

• Twig
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
The drive shaft does NOT need to be marked. He disconnected only one end.

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
You have way more faith in a tow truck driver than I do. How many tow truck drivers are going to mark the driveshaft? How many shops are going to torque the fasteners correctly?...

Reply #7
The drive shaft does NOT need to be marked. He disconnected only one end.
When you pull these caps to disconnect the driveshaft there are needle bearings that many times come loose and you have to...

• Twig
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
When you pull these caps to disconnect the driveshaft there are needle bearings that many times come loose and you have to hang the shaft with ratchet tie or something so it won't fall out of...

Reply #9
I believe he may have removed these as there were parts he gave to the shop to use when they replaced the driveshaft.

Anyhow, it was a piece of cake.
I think the point was that there are lots of...

Reply #10
I think the point was that there are lots of opportunities for things to go wrong. Bad weather, mud, tow truck driver from the Netflix series "Ozark," etc. These things may...

Reply #11
I do not trust much either which is why I try to do most repairs myself.  I might not get it right, but at least I know what was done and learn from the experience.

Do you have a link for an...

• MT Ted
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #12
When I broke down I was going to pull my own drive shaft, one end and tie it up. Then they showed up with a lowboy transport trailer. Winched me on and away we went down I90 west, only we were east bound in the west bound lane. That guy was half...

Reply #13
Love the cutting board covers at the top of the post!

P

Reply #14
Love the cutting board covers at the top of the post!

P
Thanks.  Next time the wheels are removed I will leave off the stock hub caps and will look at obtaining friction fit ones...

Reply #15
DayDreamer showed us (first post in this thread) how to make your own axle caps for towing.  Excellent project!  ^.^d

For those who either don't have the tools to make their own caps, or are too lazy (like me), the other option is buying them.

Thought...

Reply #16
Thank you Chuck for info on covers.  Prior to learning about the positive aspects of pulling the axels, I was towed twice.  The first time the driver beat off the caps with a hammer, the shop said they needed to be replaced.  The second time the...

Reply #17
Chuck,

They are plugs, probably to enable oil to be added in case the coach was at an angle and a lot ran out when the downside axle was pulled. Just my guess.

Pierce

Reply #18
Chuck,

They are plugs, probably to enable oil to be added in case the coach was at an angle and a lot ran out when the downside axle was pulled. Just my guess.

Pierce
Never thought...

Reply #19
Never thought about it before but don't the rotating axles bring the oil to the wheel bearings? Adding oil through that hole would  overfill the rear end but protect the wheel bearing while...

Reply #20
Read the description "for adding oil"

Olson & Co. 10-Piece Motorcoach Axle Cap Set

Reply #21
Thanx, Chuck!  Question answered...but brings up more.

1.  What kind of oil?  The same stuff you put in the rear differential?  85W140?
2.  How much would you add?
3.  Would need a way to squirt the oil through that little hole.

Reply #22
Thanx, Chuck!  Question answered...but brings up more.

1.  What kind of oil?  The same stuff you put in the rear differential?  85W140?
2.  How much would you add?
3.  Would need a way to...

Reply #23
I would use the 85/140 as that is the weight of the original oil. I still have two 15 gal. containers of Pennzoil 85/140 so I won't be going to synthetic just to be able to use some of it.

Amazon.com: ValvolineHigh Performance SAE 85W-140 Gear Oil...

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #24
Chuck I may have sent you a set of defective covers. I'll contact legal and see what they want to do. I think I'm not going to worry about added oil because they were serviced prior to being pulled and however much oil is retained will be enough...