Skip to main content
Topic: Where to go for work? (Read 623 times) previous topic - next topic

Where to go for work?

Whenever we can leave Riverton, either for good or for the summer, our destination will be Nac. I want the bulkheads taken care of, a new gasket around the windshields (and have them properly set), the part of the dash closest to the windshields recovered, and the generator serviced. While they are doing the dash and windshield I want them to check on the attachment of the dash and nose. I understand that there can be some issues there, and I figure that while things are already torn apart that may as well be taken care of, too.

I know that FOT can do all of the above, and I'm pretty sure that MOT can, too. What about NMH? Would I be better off using different shops for different projects?

It looks like the earliest we will start Calling the new associate pastor/head teacher will be in January. IF (very big IF) the first man accepts, and is able to move here fairly quickly, I'm guessing that his installation won't be until early February. Assume that I stick around for another month to do the transition, and it would be early March at the very earliest that we'd be able to start heading for Nac. A more realistic schedule would be that the new man arrives in late May/early June, I spend only two weeks with him, and then we take off. No matter what, the next trip for our coach will be toward Nac.

That means that I have plenty of time to decide who will do the work and try to get on the schedule. I'll make some notes about your recommendations so that I won't have to go searching for this topic later. Anything you can contribute will be appreciated.

Re: Where to go for work?

Reply #1
Have you thought about the Grand Villa reunion at the factory in late May?
We're planning on getting some work done afterwards.

Just tossing it out there
Frank & Connie Williams
1999 U320 '36
Build: 5466
MC: 18335

Reply #2
IF the new man is here and going by then that might work. Otherwise, the last day of school is 27 May, so I doubt that I could leave before 1 June, and it will take at least a week to get from here to there.

Sounds like a lot of fun, though.

Reply #3
Have you thought about the Grand Villa reunion at the factory in late May?
Haven't heard about that.  What's the deal?
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #4
You might give Nacodoches Motorhome Service a call.  We have been extremely pleased with their work and get it done attitude. 
Mark & Bev
2001 U295 36'
Cummins ISC 8.3 350HP
Build #5802
Jeep Wrangler Toad

Reply #5
Haven't heard about that.  What's the deal?
chuck it won't let me post a pic, go to the foretravel owner's group on Facebook or call Beverly for info
The selected media item is not currently available.Keith & Jo
2003 U320T 4025 PBBS Designer series
Build 6203    Cummins 500hp
2000 U320 4010 WTFE / Build 5762 —Sold—
Motorcade #18070   
Pasadena, Texas
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-Sunset Orange pearl coat
Don't argue with a fool, people watching might not be able to tell the difference.

Reply #7
Yep, here it is w/o FB link.

Frank & Connie Williams
1999 U320 '36
Build: 5466
MC: 18335

Reply #8
I want the bulkheads taken care of,
MOT has the most experience fixing our bulkheads.

a new gasket around the windshields (and have them properly set),
I think any RV glass shop can do this. However, if your Grand Villa has delamination problems on the sides (below driver & pax windows) as many do, I think Foretravel might be best. They take it down to their fiberglass shop and make it solid again.

the generator serviced
Not much to this so really any shop can do it.

While they are doing the dash and windshield I want them to check on the attachment of the dash and nose.
There are lots of posts on this. To address this issue, when Foretravel does Grand Villa windshields, as a matter of course, they install the chrome handles in the attached photo.

If you are having windshield movement problems, they may be caused by the nose, the sides or a number of other causes. Grand Villas are notorious for this problem. It's the price we pay for that wonderful look.

One caveat. You need to check out Foretravel's windshield work closely before you leave. In my case, they installed two windshields that had glass clouding and had to redo them. They also did pretty sloppy work on the urethane. In addition, when I got home the windshield had shifted dramatically. I took it to RV Glass to get it fixed.
jor

Reply #9
What prompted the windshield concern was driving south to north across Colorado. The windshields had both moved to have more than a quarter inch gap between the glass and anything else. I called the insurance company, and they tried to find someplace to do the work. Even the shop here in Riverton that worked on Andy 2's coach wouldn't touch it. SafeLight in Cheyenne made an appointment for us, but when we arrived the shop foreman said they didn't work on motorhome windshields other than to fix small chips (which is what they thought the appointment was for). They were able to shift the glass back to where it didn't leak anymore but wouldn't take any money for it. They said the gasket was pretty well shot. SafeLight does have a shop in Loveland that would do the work, but I'm not giving Colorado another shot at those expensive windshields.