Skip to main content

Topic: I am heart broken - accident (Read 1547 times) previous topic - next topic

I am heart broken - accident
Well I was going to talk about the work performed at my truck mechanic's shop, but I pulled into a truck stop, to check on the straps holding my Prius, and bent down to turn on the house batteries.  I did not pay attention and did not set my...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: I am heart broken - accident
Reply #1
Relax and have the insurance company take care of your stress.

Pierce

Reply #2
Sorry to hear this.......... but, like Pierce said, take a deep breath and be thankful it wasn't any worse. It could of happened while parked at an overlook and had a total loss and worse you and anyone else inside could have been seriously hurt...

Reply #3
Yes, Justin is right on. When someone is injured, that's one thing. But all of us make mistakes so you are not the first. I point our car  down the drive way at night in case there is a fire and we need to escape but have to take out the ignition...

Reply #4
Chuckd wrote "I did not pay attention and did not set my parking brake.  I rolled forward and hit the tire of a parked truck, and ripped the door almost off, steps went into the docking light, the right side headlamps were hanging down, . . ."

Reply #5
Nearly every one on the forum has at least one "story" they could tell about something missed on pre purchase inspections or damage that was self inflicted. Some of us have more than one. Lots of ways to get bit.

Reply #6
I NEVER trust the air/spring parking brake and the rear air-chambers to hold the coach on any type of hill. Especially if the rear brake pads and rotors are not hot.

Reply #7
I NEVER trust the air/spring parking brake and the rear air-chambers to hold the coach on any type of hill. Especially if the rear brake pads and rotors are not hot.
So how do you secure...

• Pyolet
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
I saw the pictures on FB.  Indeed heartbreaking.

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
Got to ask,why are you turning the house batteries off when driving?Send the pictures to extreme in Nac and get a quote,might as well get the headlight upgrade when they repair it.

Reply #10
And I always chock...

Reply #11
Got to ask,why are you turning the house batteries off when driving? Send the pictures to Xtreme in Nac and get a quote,might as well get the headlight upgrade when they repair it.

Every time...

Reply #12
My wife and daughter were in the motor home with my 2 year old grandson on Saturday.   When I was getting the the drivers seat to leave on Sunday my wife tells me that my grandson had been in the drivers seat.  As I goto push in the parking brake...

Reply #13
If you were below 60 psi the brakes would set. Never had the button stay in at that pressure though.

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
Note to self,no grandsons under 10 in drivers seat.

Reply #15

Reply #16
Good idea to prevent kids from playing with it and also to prevent joy rides. But the parking brake is only good on the flat or a very slight incline. Got to go with chocks every time. Emergency and utility vehicles are required to chock each and...

Reply #17
I made a stop like the yellow metal one shown out of a Motrin bottle.  Cut off the top the correct length and cut a slot in the side to slide it over the brake knob shaft.  Won't stop a theft but will stop an accidental push on the knob.

Rich

Reply #18
I've read numerous threads on wheel chocks and I'm curious as to how well everyone's different choices fit their tires.

The Importance of a Good Wheel Chock - Gear Up With Gregg's - YouTube
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tyha9CRpBQU

Anyone care to...

Reply #19
So how do you secure the coach from moving?  Use chocks?

YES.

Reply #20
Here are the pair that I use. One in the front of the tire, one in the back. I use a 2 or 3 foot poly rope to connect the two.  With two chocks, you can't forget to pull them and put them back in the step compartment. You would never forget if...

Reply #21
I have almost identical set from Northern Tool and they are currently less than $10.00 each.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200782883_200782883

Reply #22
Thanks for the kind thoughts.  I have been driving Volvo semi's for 20 years pulling my fifth wheel trailers.  Never had an accident.  Two of my semi's were a 10 speed and a 13 speed manual, and two of them were auto shifts.  Got into the habit...

Reply #23
I've read numerous threads on wheel chocks and I'm curious as to how well everyone's different choices fit their tires.

The Importance of a Good Wheel Chock - Gear Up With Gregg's -...

Reply #24
These are the 2 I carry. I do not use them everytime I park. If I do use them I remove the ignition key and lay it in the bay they are kept in.

Chuck, yours seem like they fit the radius of the...