Skip to main content
Topic: NB Looking at a '95 foretravel Grand villa 36ft (Read 1155 times) previous topic - next topic

NB Looking at a '95 foretravel Grand villa 36ft

So we have never owned or rent a motorhome but I found one that is just calling me. We were looking at something on a F450- F550 not gas. We want to pull our 2018 24' Yamaha jetboat @ about 5800lb boat/trailer combined. I assume this rig will do that ? When I seen the add for a FOT I was like ok lets find some more info out about FOT.
 So here is what he told me : 
custom floor plane business class ride
 eight new air bags, new tires, brakes, windshield, front bearings, 300 Cummins diesel appx. 200 k mike's Allison six spd auto two heaters 26 k /17 k
three roof top ac two need recharge
 bath tub shower separate head and vanity
 sleeps three very personal ride
What should I look for on this unit +/- ?
Does anyone know this floor plan?

Re: NB Looking at a '95 foretravel Grand villa 36ft

Reply #1
I guess I can chime in after owning three FTs and now a coach on an F550. The tow rating on the older coaches is not very high. I know my 99 was 10k but earlier models were less.  I can tow 12k in my current coach on a f550 but my FTs were 10k. The newer units are 18 so that is not a big issue any longer.  I never felt my tow behind my Foretravels but I do behind my Born Free but it tows great. I would check the rating and as long as the hitch is rated for it you can't go wrong with the FT.  It was time we downsized and this coach we are currently in is very close to our FT  in some ways better and worse in others. Everything is a trade off but finding the best fit is important. That said my f550 coach will run circles around my old FT and fit in places I never could before but has no where near the tanks and batteries. 
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on Ford 550 nonslide version
Former Coaches  covering. 360,000 miles
1999 34 U270
2000 36 U320
2001 42' double slide U320
2018 Jeep Rubicon

Reply #2

>So we have never owned or rented a motorhome but I found one that is just calling me.

And this is how it begins.

>We were looking at something on a F450- F550 not gas. We want to pull our 2018 24' Yamaha jetboat @ about 5800lb boat/trailer combined. I assume this rig will do that?

Yes.

>When I seen the add for a FOT I was like ok lets find some more info out about FOT.

"We" were getting ready to pull the trigger on a Fleetwood Bounder when the question "Have you considered a Foretravel?" crossed the table.

>So here is what he told me : 

>Custom floor plan, business class.

If it's one of the Foretravel catalogue floor plans you get a small desk.

>Eight new air bags, new tires, brakes, windshield, front bearings.

All, or at least some of the deferred maintenance has been done.

>300 Cummins diesel appx. 200 k mike's Allison six spd auto.

Something you should have surveyed by a mechanic just to be safe.

>Two heaters 26 k /17 k

If you want to do some serious winter living, Foretravel also offered a diesel fueled forced hot water system with temperature controls for the wet bays.

>Three roof top ac two need recharge.

My cynicism comes to the fore here as having two roof-top air conditioners in need for refrigerant is unlikely.  More likely is an electrical problem.  Budget for two new air conditioners just to be on the safe side.

>Bath tub shower separate head and vanity

There are others here with more detailed and personal knowledge, but Foretravel built what is called a dry bathroom with a human sized self contained shower stall.  Foretravel also offered a through aisle bathroom that extends the full width of the coach, with the shower stall on one side and the lavatory the other.

>Sleeps three very personal ride.
>What should I look for on this unit +/- ?
>Does anyone know this floor plan?

The big selling point for us, personally other than the cedar lined wardrobe and places to keep more than a swimsuit handy, is the chassis.  The Foretravel Unihomes and Unicoaches use a Foretravel built external truss frame that gives incredible rigidity and storage space, and sadly in rust belt areas is a weak spot, that is repairable.  Repairable because the area that tends to show rust damage is all, easily reached, right angles and straight runs of industry standard square tubing.  This area should be surveyed by someone familiar with the design.  Everything else is either well built house or well sourced truck components.
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #3
Just noticed a 1994 U300/36 for 20K asking on one of the Foretravel Facebook forums. 1994 Foretravel Motorhome | RVs & Motorhomes | Sudbury | Kijiji. This is exactly the same coach we have, only a year newer and has the Detroit with Jake brake.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #4
Just noticed a 1994 U300/36 for 20K asking on one of the Foretravel Facebook forums. 1994 Foretravel Motorhome | RVs & Motorhomes | Sudbury | Kijiji. This is exactly the same coach we have, only a year newer and has the Detroit with Jake brake.

Pierce
Two thoughts:

1.  Is this Canadian dollars?  Wouldn't that be around $15,000 US?
2.  Would going to Canada be considered "essential business?"  I am not planning on going, but I am curious.

Matt B
Matt B
1998 u-320

Reply #5
On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 5:49 PM oldmattb via ForeForums noreply@foreforums.com> wrote:

On: Thu Oct 8, 2020 Pierce & Gaylie Stewart Wrote: > > Just noticed a 1994 U300/36 for 20K asking on one of the Foretravel Facebook forums.
 [1994 Foretravel Motorhome | RVs & Motorhomes | Sudbury | Kijiji](Froxlor Server Management Panel > .ca/v-rv-motorhome/sudbury/1994-foretravel-motorhome/1527231537?undefined&fbclid=IwAR0K4TcmyVP5tRbXh5dmAOzCI6JQw-vw94mtXu1Y35FKIQmJQMUoY_z4_kQ). This is exactly the same coach we have, only a year newer and has the Detroit > with Jake brake.

Pierce

Two thoughts: 
1. Is this Canadian dollars? Wouldn't that be around $15,000 US?
2. Would going to Canada be considered "essential business?" I am not planning on going, but I am curious.

Matt B

Matt B

no motorhome, no RV, despondent hang-dog soul that hopes to be shopping soon!
Jim Frerichs
2002 U320 42'

Reply #6
Two thoughts:

1.  Is this Canadian dollars?  Wouldn't that be around $15,000 US?
2.  Would going to Canada be considered "essential business?"  I am not planning on going, but I am curious.

Matt B
First, you have to see if it's still for sale and if it is, U.S. or Canadian. Lots of scams out there so you would need to talk to the seller rather than just email. etc. I would imagine a meeting between seller and buyer would be essential business but I could be wrong.  The next thing would be to find out what the condition is with the undercarriage the number one priority. A rusty coach of that vintage is worthless if corroded.

It looks exactly like our coach and would probably have the light cream colored wool carpet, matching seating up front and the matching headliner. A good choice of colors to start with. Our has a walk through bathroom. Jerry M has the exact same coach. The back wall the in salon is flat with nothing on it so a 50 inch 4K TV fits easily without coming close to the passageway.

Other than nickel and dime expenses for screws, relays, etc, the only expenses have been a couple of airbags and a new set of engine batteries. Other than that, just upgrades, diesel and insurance. Almost 120K on the clock, 55K since purchase. It's like a Jaguar, a love/hate relationship but only at design issues around the usual complaints. Has lots of power and gets excellent mileage considering it's size. It goes to San Francisco using 5 gallons less than a friend's 460 Ford PU.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)