Skip to main content
Topic: Advice solicited on Good Sam vs AAA assistance plans (Read 855 times) previous topic - next topic

Advice solicited on Good Sam vs AAA assistance plans

For years, when traveling around with my camper with our F350, I had and still have an AAA card with RV Plus.
In 20 years I actually needed it only twice.

An acquaintance of mine, after seeing my newly acquired  U320, told me I should get Good Sam Roadside assistance, it is much better.
Now it is something to break down in a F350, and an entirely different story in an U320.

Today is a good day!
If you want an example of a bad day, look at the picture of Nov 10, 2019 when I came home and the house looked like this.
After fighting and winning against the insurance company for one year and rebuilding for the next year we are very comfortable now.

Greetings

Klaus

The world is not interested in the storms you encountered, but whether or not you brought in the ship.
Raul Armesto

2003 U 320 4020 Unit 6145

Re: Advice solicited on Good Sam vs AAA assistance plans

Reply #1
My  biased opinion is to save your membership fees for the day that you need it.  In my opinion, both are deplorable (here have we heard that word before?) and so is FMCA.

When we broke down in our previous coach, about 50 miles east of Winslow AZ, they insisted on towing us to a dilapidated out-of-business gas station where a couple of local yokels tinkered with broken-down pickup trucks older than they were.

We located - and hired - our own towing service and repair service.

Larry

Reply #2
My  biased opinion is to save your membership fees for the day that you need it.  In my opinion, both are deplorable (here have we heard that word before?) and so is FMCA.

When we broke down in our previous coach, about 50 miles east of Winslow AZ, they insisted on towing us to a dilapidated out-of-business gas station where a couple of local yokels tinkered with broken-down pickup trucks older than they were.

We located - and hired - our own towing service and repair service.

Larry
Yup, We have Safco, this sort of service is free with our plan.
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #3
One tows you the closest safe area. One tows to a shop Of your choice.  We are changing this week and will have a close look at AAA 

Reply #4
Using both is an interesting idea, I assume there is nothing in the contracts that prohibits that.

Greeting

Klaus
The world is not interested in the storms you encountered, but whether or not you brought in the ship.
Raul Armesto

Reply #6
Coach Net.  They have the knowledge and contacts for big rigs and large diesel pushers.
Dan - Full timing since 2009
2003 U320 40' Tag 2 slide

Reply #7
We have had AAA for 28 years. They put the spare on the U300 without any problems at an event where I had a suit on. But the coverage seems to be less and less as time goes by. Going to look at Coach Net this next year as an addition to AAA.

Nice thing about Mexico. Towing is cheap and they have lots of big rig facilities.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #8
Another vote for Coach Net.
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #9
I checked Coach Net it out on the internet, sounds promising.
Will read more details.
Unrelated question, what is a "Commercial Member" on the Forum?

Regards

Klaus
Raul Armesto

Reply #10
Coachnet. I avoid anything in the Good Sam family. I think AAA service must depend on where you are at the time. They stranded me on the road years ago.
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains

Reply #11
Unrelated question, what is a "Commercial Member" on the Forum?
Commercial Member: A Forum member who wishes to advertise a product or service for sale to Forum members.

Roger, for instance, sells VMSpc kits.  He has ads posted in the Commercial Listings sub-forum.

See link below for more info:

Vendor Forum & Posting Standards
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #12
A Forum member who wishes to advertise a product or service for sale to Forum members.  Roger, for instance, sells VMSpc kits.  He has ads posted in the Commercial Listings sub-forum.  See link below:

Vendor Forum & Posting Standards

To clarify - an RV-related product or service.  It's entirely free to the commercial member, but they have to abide by certain rules regarding advertising and solicitation and we ask that they be participating members elsewhere in the forum (vs. just joining to place ads).  They may only advertise in the Commercial Listings board so that those who don't wish to see these ads can ignore that part of the forum and not see them.  It keeps the forum neat and tidy  ;)
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Reply #13
Coachnet for me.
I would not pull out of the driveway with out it.
1995 U320C SE 40'
Jeep 4x4 Commander - Limited - Hemi
"The Pack"  Yogi and Diesel our Airedales -  Charlie our Boxer/Akita mix. Gone but NEVER forgotten Jake our yellow Lab.
NRA Law Enforcement Firearms instructor - Handgun/shotgun
Regional Firearms instructor for national Armored Transp. Co.

Reply #14
Coach net for us. They towed us to where we wanted to go. No questions asked. The tow bill was $1,700. Our dues (sub $200 and cover anything we drive or tow) were well shy of that $1,700.
Jerry & Nona and Kimeru the cat that thinks she's a dog
1998 36' WTFE U320  #5314 Motorcade #17711
USAF 1975-1995
2019 Subaru Crosstrek 'toad'
2003 Subaru Legacy touring car
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #15
Coach net for us. They towed us to where we wanted to go. No questions asked. The tow bill was $1,700. Our dues (sub $200 and cover anything we drive or tow) were well shy of that $1,700.
Coach Net for us as well.  I think I helped pay for Bigdog's tow because in over twenty years with Coach Net I have only had to call on them twice.  I had a blow-out on the tag axle of my previous SOB coach, and a jump start on my Foretravel.  Financially I would have been far better off going without but for peace of mind I agree with Lon (reply #13) I don't leave home without my Coach Net. 
Jan & Richard Witt
1999 U-320  36ft WTFE
Build Number: 5478 Motorcade: 16599
2008 Roadtrek Adventurous RS Sprinter
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Jan: NO5U, Richard:KA5RIW
The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #16
Coach Net for us as well.  I think I helped pay for Bigdog's tow because in over twenty years with Coach Net I have only had to call on them twice.  I had a blow-out on the tag axle of my previous SOB coach, and a jump start on my Foretravel.  Financially I would have been far better off going without but for peace of mind I agree with Lon (reply #13) I don't leave home without my Coach Net. 
Thanks for the Tow Jan & Richard ^.^d 
Peace of mind or just in case is no small thing. I don't have health or life insurance hoping to "cash in" But should you need it, It's awfully nice to have the coverage.
Jerry & Nona and Kimeru the cat that thinks she's a dog
1998 36' WTFE U320  #5314 Motorcade #17711
USAF 1975-1995
2019 Subaru Crosstrek 'toad'
2003 Subaru Legacy touring car
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #17
We had good Sams long story short-- I would not recommend them and I currently have AAA "BUT" they have changed their policy and I'm not sure of exactly what they will do-- Plan to look at coach net
.  Was going to look at FMCA but apparently they are not up to par either from above post
Chris
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR

Reply #18
.  Was going to look at FMCA but apparently they are not up to par either from above post

FYI both FMCA and Escapees plans is SafeRide Motor Club.

Reply #19
Can you get Coach Net over the internet? I looked at their website and it seemed like you had to go through a local distributor.
Lynn and Linda Day and Harry the pug
RIP: Tank 01-2008 to 03-2020
2012 Nimbus 42' build 6555
ISX12-500hp
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
MC# 17723

Reply #20
Can you get Coach Net over the internet?  I looked at their website and it seemed like you had to go through a local distributor.
See first question in the FAQ:

Frequently Asked Questions | Coach-Net

Reply #21
I am convinced.

Before my first longer trip I will join Coach Net.

Not because I think I will come out financially ahead, but the peace of mind I can buy to help me in a stressful situation.

Regards

Klaus
Raul Armesto

Reply #22
Base cost is 249$ ?
I saw sub 200 $

Reply #23
AAA was $129 a year for rv plus that I just signed up for this year.  Never had tow insurance in 54 years of driving.

Fast forward ECU dies and it's a 92 mile tow on a 100 mile limit. $1121 covered. 

My progressive policy has $750 road hazard coverage separately.  Not needed.

A week and a half ago I drove off with the tow car in park.  Ruined 2 front tires.  Smoke.

75 miles from Taos canyon to Santa Fe big O tires where they had the correct Michelin's.

New policies on renewal have a $500 limit

AAA again.  $400+ tow. 

$1,500 for $129.  Good deal this year.

I had to find the commercial flat bed and pay,  .AAA wrote a check to me to cover it.
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #24
For those considering signing up (for the first time) with Coach-Net, I would recommend calling them on the phone rather than doing it online.  I say this because my personal experience with them demonstrates that they have some degree of flexibility in their policy premiums.

The first time we signed up with Coach-Net (2013) it was through Overland Insurance in conjunction with our coach liability insurance policy.  We paid whatever was the going rate at that time.  A few years later we switched to another source for our liability policy, and I took over personally dealing with Coach-Net.  Around that same time one of our helpful Forum members mentioned the fact that Coach-Net would write a BASIC policy which covers only the coach for a lower price.  I got on the phone, talked to a real English speaking person (in the USA) who confirmed this fact, and they helped me convert our policy to BASIC coverage.

Since that time, we have paid under $100 each year for our Coach-Net policy.  My last renewal, for a 3 year period, cost $279.  They gave me a small additional credit for the 3-year policy period.  I will include a .pdf copy of my renewal receipt below.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  Although I believe my coverage under the BASIC policy is exactly the same (for our coach only) as the fancy $249 bells & whistles policy that covers all the vehicles in your family, I have not actually tested this theory.  Never had any reason to call them.  So I can't say for sure...I may get a rude surprise if I ever need a tow.  We'll see...

But anyway, my point is it won't hurt to call them and ask about a "reduced coverage" version of the regular policy.  Explain that you only want the "basic" tow and roadside assistance coverage for just your coach.  Say you don't want all the extra value crap.  If you are not full-time you might also mention that.  Cry about not being able to use your coach due to Covid-19.  If you get a sympathetic agent, you might get a discount on the price.  If they say "NO" hang up and try again a few days later with (hopefully) a more flexible agent.  Be persistent.  It could save you some cash!

Once you are locked in to the lower price policy, as long as you renew on time (even online), you should continue to get the good price.

Hope this helps.  Cheers