Skip to main content
Topic: Strap that holds the awnings on the windows and slides! (Read 446 times) previous topic - next topic

Strap that holds the awnings on the windows and slides!

Well, we had some pretty heavy wind here yesterday and our brand new slide topper we had installed about 5 months ago by Shade Pro, decided to rip the strap out of the pop rivets that hold the strap on to the roller.  Seems they did not use large washers to help hold the strap material from pulling out.  Not happy, but now have to figure out how to hold the awning down to drill out the pop rivets and install new ones with washers to give the material a chance to hold a little better!  The material was folded, but not enough area around the pop rivets to hold!  I am going to check the rest of the awnings and see if this is done the same way.
Want something done, got to do it yourself or at least check the work before the payment is made!  UGH!
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Re: Strap that holds the awnings on the windows and slides!

Reply #1
I recently replaced all of our ZipDee fabric. IMO, the best way to do it is to unwind the spring. Instructions are available from ZipDee website. The old, bastardized, pull strap on the old awning had a thin plastic plate over where the strap is riveted to the tube. I didn't replace it but, having  heard of your issue, I think I'll make a thin aluminum plate for reinforcement.

Greg 

Edit: Don't forget to count the turns on the spring when you unwind it. The slide topper/awning is quite picky about spring tension.
Greg & Cathy
2000 U320 4010 DGFE Build #5650
Had: 1999 Tradewinds 7370

Reply #2
Hey Juice,
I have more than once wished my slide topper awning was a separate slide topper and separate window awning(s).  If I don't pull the awning all the way down when the slide is out then rain collects on the awning and water pours everywhere when I bring in the slide or pull down the awning; however, if I pull the awning down, the high winds that often accompany the rain blows one side or the other of the awning up because the awning is just too long for one hold down strap. Apparently, the PO of the rig had the strap break on him because the current strap for the slide is a different material then all the other straps on rig. If I had a money tree, I would have a separate slide cover and split the window awning in half with a separate awning for each window instead of one big one. 
2002 36' U270 Foretravel

Reply #3
I may call Foretravel and order another strap and install two on that big awning.  Will need a second hold down hook as well.  Hmm, may do three, since I would have the holes left by the center one if I remove it.  Yes, three will certainly work and stop the dreaded amount of pressure on the one and also had the same issue, with the one side going up on high winds!
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus