Skip to main content

Topic: Tried a new diesel additive (Read 560 times) previous topic - next topic

Tried a new diesel additive
Been using Alliant Ultra guard. Thought I'd try this as it is rated as the number 1 fuel additive. I could feel the difference taking off and going over the passes. Must have raised the cetane a bunch

[fixed typo in topic title - Michelle]

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.
  • Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 02:01:50 pm by Michelle

Re: Tried a new desel additive
Reply #1
I'm a big believer in fuel additives, diesel and gasoline. Always put a dose in new grey market cars when we picked them up from Customs. The EPA test alone was over $1000 back then and there was a noticeable difference. The lab put in their own...

Reply #2
Been using that for the last years.  Noticeable Cetane boost effect

Reply #3
I've been using Diesel Kleen as a cetane  booster in the coach.

I recently acquired a Jeep Ecodiesel and am using

Hot Shot's Secret Everyday Diesel... Amazon.com: Hot Shot's Secret Everyday Diesel Treatment - EDT 16 oz Squeeze...

This is also a...

Reply #4
For comparison sakes:

4.8 out of 5 stars  1,105 Reviews
Hot Shot's Secret Everyday Diesel Treatment - EDT 16 oz Squeeze - $17.95. Treats up to 400 Gallons

Brand: Opti-lube
4.8 out of 5 stars  249 Reviews
Opti-lube XPD All Seasons Diesel Fuel Additive:...

Reply #5
Good homework Tom. I did find Opti-Lube for a slightly cheaper at $54 at: Opti-Lube XPD 1 Gallon Fuel Additive OPT-XPD1-NA | IDParts.com

I have always used Power Service's Diesel Kleen. It treats 250 gallons for one 80 oz container. For $83...

• MarkC
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #6
I am trying to find the article, but a while back there was a comparison of diesel additives, and the Hot Shot Everyday was one of the top rated overall, and was the best on cost per gallon. If I remember correctly, there were about 10 brands in...

Reply #7
Cummins Diesel does recomment only one brand, Power Service's Diesel Kleen and Conditioner. Here is the page: Cummins Endorses Two Fuel Additives - Fuel Smarts - Trucking Info

From  the Cummins factory website: Cummins Inc. Officially Recommends...

Reply #8
Does any body add 2cyl. oil to the diesel?

Reply #9
I Do, about 1/2 gallon every third or fourth fill up. I usually run my fuel tank down to about 1/3 full.

• AC7880
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
I have been varying between Power Serve and Howes depending on what I find in a truck stop or at Walmart.  The Opti Lube and Hot Shot sound interesting. 

Old lubricity study: Info: - Lubricity Additive Study Results | Diesel Place 

And a bit...

• Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 08:14:16 pm by AC7880

Reply #11
My 12 valve isn't nearly as needy as the newer ones. The Bosch 7100 pump just needs an additive.

• wayne m
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
I have added 1/2 qt. of 2 stroke oil every fill up for years.
I am hopeful the extra lubrication will keep my fuel lines in good shape.
so far so good.

Reply #13
Not for sure that Power Serve is any better even though Cummins promotes it. I could be the best but also Cummins may have a vested interest in PS.

Pierce

Reply #14
In the case of my Jeep Ecodiesel, the recommended oil, Rotella T6, doesn't even meet all the required standards. Valvoline does. I suspect they recommend what they buy on contract.

• Keith and Joyce
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #15
Have used Opti Lube for years.  Like it.  Seems to smooth out the engine and reduce diesel "knock"  Rates highly in the properly conducted tests.

Keith

Reply #16
In the case of my Jeep Ecodiesel, the recommended oil, Rotella T6, doesn't even meet all the required standards. Valvoline does. I suspect they recommend what they buy on contract.
You...

• MarkC
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #17
A lot of good information here. For me, sometimes it's hard to read some tests and not wonder who is sponsoring the test. I sorta feel that any Brand Name product should be beneficial as look as its used as directed, it can't hurt.

Reply #18
I agree. Use something all the time.

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
Only thing that I use is a Biocide for the prevention of algae growth. As always DWMYFG, 😎

Reply #20
Our fuel is cheap so we don't get the inspections that Europe gets. You get what you pay for. Most of the time good, but it can be expensive.

Pierce

Reply #21
I second Bruce's practice.  All additives hurt your wallet.

Reply #22
Upon recommendation of friend recently started using Hot Shot's additive, started with the Diesel Extreme Amazon.com: Hot Shot's Secret Diesel Extreme Clean and Boost - 64 fl. oz.:...
 Hot Shot recently came out with an RV line up, I called and...

Reply #23
The opti lube make the engine and gen  both noticeably run smoother and somewhat quieter for me