Skip to main content
Topic: Has anyone had a Safe-T-Plus installed on their U270/295/320? (Read 1060 times) previous topic - next topic

Has anyone had a Safe-T-Plus installed on their U270/295/320?

Coach will be in the shop at MOT next week and thinking about putting one on.
1998 U295 36' No slides
Towing 2018 Jeep Wrangler
Previous rigs:
  1995 26' Fleetwood Flair
  1998 34' Fleetwood Bounder
  1997 40' Bluebird BMC
  1999 24' Winnebago Minnie Class C

Re: Has anyone had a Safe-T-Plus installed on their U270/295/320?

Reply #1
Coach will be in the shop at MOT next week and thinking about putting one on.

Not on a Foretravel, but had one on my previous coach, a 1994 Bluebird BMC 37' on Spartan Chassis.  It made it less "flighty" in winds and semi truck wakes, and added safety in event of a blowout.
Dan - Full timing since 2009
2003 U320 40' Tag 2 slide

Reply #2
I had one front tire blow out on another rv.  Have had Safe-T-Plus since, including current FT.  100% satisfied, 100% warranty to original purchaser.  They are overbuilt and do the job intended.  Each one has a serial number.
97 U295 40, Build #5040, 6C8.3 325 HP
Oregon Continuous Traveler
Samsung Residential #RF20HFENBSR,
Xantrex SW2012, (3)AGM8D Hse, (2)AGM Grp24 Eng, Victron BMV-712, 1800w Solar 4 LG & 2 Sunpower
Extreme Full Body Pt w/hdlmps, new furn/floor, 4 down Lexus 2004 GX470 AWD curb weight 4,740 lbs
Prev: 1990 Barth, 10L 300 2 yrs; 91&92 Monaco Signature, 10 yrs, 10L C 300 &  6C8.3 300; 1997 ForeT 6C8.3 325 since May 2017.  Employed by Guaranty RV 14+ yrs.  Former VW New Car Dlr/Service Dlr, Sales Mgr, Rv Sales, and Service Adviser from 1968-2017
"Don't criticize what you can't understand" Bob Dylan

Reply #3
Had the safety steer put on my 1997 U-320 in April at the factory in Atlanta. Took them an hour including the test drive and adjustment. 623.00 out the door and what a difference it has made!
Steven Green
1997 U-320

Reply #4
Steven what differences did you notice?
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #5
Put one on years ago, safe t plus.  It helps to maintain steering neutral center, reducing wander.  Mitigates violent directional changes caused by road forces.....like dropping a wheel off the edge of pavement.  Smooths the reaction.  Definite improvement.
"Not so  long ago we were a nation of risk takers, riding five million pounds of  thrust straight into space."  Joe Gresh
Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS

Reply #6
No more being blown off the road by trucks, no more constantly correcting the steering. Much more stable going down the road in windy condition s.

Steve
Steven Green
1997 U-320

Reply #7
Steven my sister coach to yours does not move when opposing trucks blow by.

No constant correction.  Yours is fixable.  Trust me. 

The safe-t-plus tends to cover up loose front ends.

As a manager I fixed the issues first then the customer could add that if they wanted.
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #8
I assume one could have it installed on an Oshkosh Chassis also, with comparable results?
1989 Grand Villa 3600  Our "Furevertravel",  "Ole Furry" for short.....
Cat 3208T  250 HP
Allison MT-643
36SBIORED
Motorcade Number  18541
Build # 3388
2014 Ford F-150 flat towed (My Bride wants "her" MKX in the garage)
Big John, my Bride Miss Mary Lou, and Buddy, Robbi, Gizzy, and Mack ( our furry kids)

Reply #9
Steven my sister coach to yours does not move when opposing trucks blow by.

No constant correction.  Yours is fixable.  Trust me. 

The safe-t-plus tends to cover up loose front ends.

As a manager I fixed the issues first then the customer could add that if they wanted.

I've seen this response often.  Yes, the safe t plus tends to compensate somewhat for cumulative front end wear.  Yes, it would be better, given time and money no object, to completely rebuild front end from hubs to steering box, seeking out experts to tweak wheel bearings with custom preloads, etc. The question in my mind about taking that route....why should a rebuild be necessary after the relatively minimal mileage most coaches have driven on these heavy duty Meritor parts?

Sometimes it's appropriate to slap a bandage on. Assuming no defective or worn beyond service limit parts in front end, you may find these measures helpful:

Premium steer tires with careful adjustment of air pressure within service limits to maximize handling.  While my service life has been less than stellar with Michelin tires, I do have to say they handled best.

Alignment, or rather, the one simple adjustment that is typically adjusted during alignments, which  is toe in.  I, and others, have found that the recommended toe in is insufficient for stability.  This is quite easy to adjust.  Loosen two nuts, rotate the track bar, retighten, test drive. Five minutes max.  If you're taking the coach in for an alignment, suggest a frank discussion with the tech.....no reason they can't add in toe after test drives.  Chances are, if you drive out with standard settings you've wasted your money.

Not a bad idea to carefully check wheel bearings and associated play is within spec. 

Safe T Plus helps.  It has other potential benefits in an emergency situation that can't be achieved with a stock front end.  Not to say that in a blowout, or unintended offroad excursion that Michael Andretti class driving won't save your bacon, but I like to stack the deck in my favor.

IMHO. YMMV.  And most importantly, "Do what makes you feel good."

"Not so  long ago we were a nation of risk takers, riding five million pounds of  thrust straight into space."  Joe Gresh
Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS

Reply #10
When I bought the Monaco Dynasty it had the Howard Centering System that some owner had put in. When test driving it I could
feel the toein was out and before I drove it again I reset the toein and it drove straight. The only time I used the Howard System was in heavy cross winds as I could set it with the wheel turned into the wind so steering wheel would center there. It was easier to drive but without the wind it was easier to drive with it off. The Foretravel handles  great so I have never checked the toein.

Peter and Frieda Morin
1999 36ft. U320 Foretravel
Build # 5436
1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport

Reply #11
Where do I find a good technical description what a Safe-T-Plus does and how it installed to a 2003 U320?
Thank you

Klaus
The world is not interested in the storms you encountered, but whether or not you brought in the ship.
Raul Armesto

2003 U 320 4020 Unit 6145

Reply #12
Ask these people.

Safe T Plus Steering Control / RV & Truck Steering Stabilizer
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #13
Chuck? When you loosen the two bolts ? How much is a little? Half turn ? 2 turns? I assume you can tell by the threads which way ? If pulling or pushing the tire?

Thanks

I had the safe t plus.. took it off.. after having the steering by box rebuilt and all new ball joints and an alignment I still have an issue .. going to try this first . Ordered a new steering box so I am going to take the rebuilt one out (it didn't change anything when it was rebuilt ) and put in the  replacement m100-pgw1.. see if it helps

Reply #14
When adjusting toe in you need to measure it. I like 3/16 of an inch toe in. I made my own toe in bar, 1/4 inch pipe and a rod that
can go inside and drill a hole near one end and weld a 1/4 inch nut and make a wing nut with a 1/4 bolt.
Peter and Frieda Morin
1999 36ft. U320 Foretravel
Build # 5436
1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport

Reply #15
I read Chuck Pearson's and Caflashbob's submission on this topic again today, now that I know what a Safe-T-Plus is.

Excellent contributions of authors that can explain a quite complex issue (steering dynamics of a vehicle) and then stating their conclusions based on their experience.

I am in the market for 2 new steering tires, and before I knew about Safe-T-Plus I was leaning to Toyo (like all my other tires). I am not experienced enough to state conclusively that I have directional stability problem, but I wish the coach's steering response was tighter.

My new plan now is as follows:

Find a good price for 2 Michelin steering tires
Install these with proper alignment and 3/16 toe-in
See how coach handles
If still not satisfied, install Safe-T-Plus

Any comments?

Regards

Klaus

Purchase Michelin steering tires. 
The world is not interested in the storms you encountered, but whether or not you brought in the ship.
Raul Armesto

2003 U 320 4020 Unit 6145

Reply #16
Chuck? When you loosen the two bolts ? How much is a little? Half turn ? 2 turns? I assume you can tell by the threads which way ? If pulling or pushing the tire?

David, rotating the track bar 1/4 turn will make a major difference in toe.  The bolts that are loosened are pinch bolts on each end of the bar, this allows the bar to rotate and change the length between the tie rods.  On my coach....and I have no idea if yours is the same..... I reached over the axle, and rotated the bar with a pipe wrench, the wrench gripping the bar in a horizontal position with the wrench pointing towards back of bus, jaws open up...pulled wrench to a vertical position thus giving a 1/4 turn to bar.

Pretty easy to see what your toe is now, and recommend this be done before adjusting anything.  Old Guy has one suggestion, I used  a pair of 1x1 wood strips, each about 5' long.  Lying under coach, butted each strip to the wheel rim on each side, half way up wheel on trailing edge.  Holding the sticks together, drew a pencil line across both when everything was positioned on trailing edge of rims.  Repeat process on leading edge of rims...once again half way up the height of wheel.  Label these marks so you know which one is leading, which one is trailing.  The difference in overall length of the sticks when lined up  with respective marks is the amount of toe in of the rims.....  So, after taking initial readings, of your present settings, you can crank in a bit of toe, recheck with sticks, label your new marks, Retighten pinch bolts ! test drive.....  Keep these sticks, they are a durable record of adjustments. 

Of course a machinist like yourself will most likely make a digital caliper of some sort......but this works.

Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS

Reply #17
One very important consideration.....these instructions  are for the straight axle style Foretravels.  The do not apply to the IFS front end styles that started showing up in later years. 

Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS

Reply #18
I put it on our coach strictly for assistance in case of a blowout.  Nothing to do with front end compensation.  I had a blowout on rear of last coach, and after watching a couple of videos where people rolled their coach I bought the safe t stear.  Also, would not be as worried if DW was driving and has blowout
Chris
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR

Reply #19
Like Chris, this is strictly to help in a blowout or other emergency and the decision is a "no brainer".  I installed it (myself) on my Safari and I experienced good results as previously described, but then I also replaced all my bushings at that time.  A roll over, like the one we talked about earlier ("my story"), scares the hell out of me and this conversation reminded me that I needed to get this done. 
I have not experienced being kicked around by winds and passing trucks with the U320, so this isn't a factor in the decision.  Keeping the steering wheel from being ripped from my grip is.

I just ordered it from Shock Warehouse.  $499+bracket ($99) and CA tax brought it to $646.47 with free shipping.  Amazon did not have the bracket and the shock was a bit more there.

2000 U320 mid entry  #5688
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8

Reply #20
They had a deal on it at the tent in Jan. Maybe they will have it again.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #21
I have seriously overexpounded on the fixing of the suspension and using the Michelin's. 

Way more money.  How much for what?

My personal thought would be is can you substitute less self steering tires and a looser front end with the safe-t-steer AND drive the coach in normal medium conditions and drive it from the rearward seat position and with my hands at 6 and 9 o'clock.

If so and I hope that it does work that way this would seem to be a cost saving similar result mod.

No insult but if not a different idea

"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #22
Bob, as Sven and I both stated-- this is not installed so you can continue driving with a wore out front end-- it is strictly for safety
Just my 2c worth
Chris
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR

Reply #23
Safety is over-riding issue. look at the name of the product. "Safe-T-Plus".
Future Foretravel Owners
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Retired USAF, Retired DOD Civ's
FAA A&P, Indust. Eng., Acft Depot Lvl. Maint.
Larry and Becky Rountree

Reply #24

My personal thought would be is can you substitute less self steering tires and a looser front end with the safe-t-steer AND drive the coach in normal medium conditions and drive it from the rearward seat position and with my hands at 6 and 9 o'clock.

That's a hard one to answer.  Extremely subjective.  I have had an owner tell me in all seriousness that his coach drives just as well, and as effortlessly as his Cadillac Escalade.  Sadly, my experiences don't mimic his....not even close.  So if you're achieving driving nirvana like this with a program of overhaul, blueprinting and tweaking front end, you are unlikely to duplicate it with a safe t plus and toe in adjustment. 

These easy fixes can help tame some issues and reduce driving effort as well as provide stability in a blowout/wheel off road situation.  Incremental improvements, not transformative.
Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS