Skip to main content

Topic: Will I ever need or use [satellite dish on my roof]? (Read 727 times) previous topic - next topic

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Will I ever need or use [satellite dish on my roof]?
So my coach is 20 years old and a lot is changed since it was built. Will I need any of these items or can they be deleted?  I don't use them. But I don't want to hurt the value of the coach either. Quit noisy flapping at 70mph. I'll fix if I...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.
  • Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 06:51:53 pm by Michelle

Re: Will I ever need or use?
Reply #1
The compass  and old satellite won't help resale. The antennae can have a different head put on it that improves signal. 

Re: Will I ever need or use [satellite dish on my roof]?
Reply #2
FYI I edited the topic title to be more descriptive.

Reply #3
That is a Daytron, the satellite with the built in service call.

Long time ago, gone out of business, and absolutely worthless.They didn't work that great even new.

If you want to get rid of one of the major rattles on the roof, take it off.If you...

• nitehawk
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
I'll be darned!! So that is what was on the roof of our coach before we got it. Only thing I saw when we got our coach was that base so I never knew just what the sat dish looked like. I understand it is/was obsolete.

Yup, what Chris said. I...

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
The antennae can have a different head put on it that improves signal. 
Since I am a newbie and I literally have no clue, would the antenna have been for line of sight TV? Or FM/AM Radio....

Reply #6
It is for OTA television, picks up the locals wherever you are.

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
That may be something I want. Will keep it and look for new antenna and defeat the other two.  Any  antenna ideas would be appreciated
Scott

Reply #8
I believe others have put the new style head on the mast. Look for it, or maybe someone will post theirs.

• MarkC
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #9
Scott,
Just last week I got tired of the rattling from the crank up antenna.  It already had the King Jack head installed.  It received TV pretty good, but I couldn't take the rattling anymore.

I removed it and installed the King Jack roof mount...

Reply #10
My rv came with a dome antenna, but since I don't watch tv, I took it off and sold it to someone who wanted it.  I also got tired of hearing the OA antenna thumbing and rattling on the roof and took it off too.  Family, friends, books, internet...

• Pyolet
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
I reduced on-road and static weather wind noise in my coach by 5dB or more by removing all that antique stuff and unceremoniously tossing it in the nearest dumpster.  New wireless technologies don't require multiple antennas or sensors screwed...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
My coach came with a King Jack and I don't hear it. I also shortened the arms so I had room for a solar panel.

Reply #13
We removed the antique crank-up satellite dish.  Put a King Jack head on the original crank-up OTA antenna arms.  A foam pad stuck to the roof for the Jack antenna to rest on solved the rattling going down the road.  We do still use the crank-up...

Reply #14
We took the old satellite dish off and I took a piece of 16 gauge metal and made an adapter to fit the dish to the old base on the roof
replaced old one with a dish dome mount and we use the dish for my RV so you pay by the month when you are...

Reply #15
I use this app I found to assist in finding what is the best direction to aim your OTA antenna. As long as you have a cell signal you rotate your phone and options appear in multiple directions. Choose the closet and normally you are able to...

• nitehawk
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #16
Well, that is a great help.
I was frustrated with determining direction when weather/sky wasn't clear, so I came up with a Rube Goldberg idea of my own.
First I needed a compass that would indicate North.
Then I put four pieces of Velcro hook...

• bigdog
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
Well, I guess we in the bigdog family are the odd duck's. We like having the option of having options for entertainment on those days when we are coach bound for one reason or another and choose to watch the tube. As we were late to the internet...

Reply #18
I would say take the equipment off the roof if you must ( I did remove the ota antenna) but save the coax connections and wiring for " what if " scenarios cause life happens.  And also never say never.

I'm now contemplating putting my ota...

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
So would anyone have first hand information on the satellite base mounting screws? If there self taping I'll remove base plate, if the have washers and nuts on back side I'll leave for another day.
Thanks Scott

Reply #20
90% chance they are just screws (no nuts/not thru bolted.

An option I like it to buy a sheet of aluminum a little larger than the footprint of the mount.  Paint one side white to blend in with the roof.  use the old mount to drill holes in the new...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #21
Scott the were two satellite bases when I bought my coach they were held down with screws and also glued down, one I think
was epoxy which when I pulled it off pulled the fiberglass apart. That wasn't a big deal to me as I was epoxing all the...

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #22
There is no actual hole cut thru. Just 8 1/4 inch stainless fasteners. Would like to remove but don't want to get involved with headliner. After the first one if they have nuts I'm committed
Scott

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #23
There is silicone RTV visible  Took a chance and lucked out. Self tapping screws

Reply #24
Take a deep breath and unscrew one of them.

Mine were screws and I filled the holes with MarineTex.