Skip to main content
Topic: Will I ever need or use [satellite dish on my roof]? (Read 1073 times) previous topic - next topic

Will I ever need or use [satellite dish on my roof]?

So my coach is 20 years old and a lot is changed since it was built. Will I need any of these items or can they be deleted?  I don't use them. But I don't want to hurt the value of the coach either. Quit noisy flapping at 70mph. I'll fix if I keep.
Thanks Scott

[edited topic title to be more descriptive - Michelle]
Scott and Kim Davidson
If you're going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
DEGOIWKY
Don't ever get old, it will kill you
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Re: Will I ever need or use?

Reply #1
The compass  and old satellite won't help resale. The antennae can have a different head put on it that improves signal. 
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Re: Will I ever need or use [satellite dish on my roof]?

Reply #2
FYI I edited the topic title to be more descriptive.
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #3
That is a Daytron, the satellite with the built in service call.

Long time ago, gone out of business, and absolutely worthless.They didn't work that great even new.

If you want to get rid of one of the major rattles on the roof, take it off.If you don't want holes, just leave the mounting bracket in place.

Chris
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #4
I'll be darned!! So that is what was on the roof of our coach before we got it. Only thing I saw when we got our coach was that base so I never knew just what the sat dish looked like. I understand it is/was obsolete.

Yup, what Chris said. I forgot the name of the dish.
Nitehawk,  Demolition Lady, & our NEW master, Zippy the speeding BB cat.
1989 Grand Villa 36' ORED
Oshkosh chassis, 8.2 DD V8
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #5
The antennae can have a different head put on it that improves signal. 
Since I am a newbie and I literally have no clue, would the antenna have been for line of sight TV? Or FM/AM Radio. Between my phone and my DW I seem to always have good enough entertainment for me.
Looks like at least two out of three are just Parasitic drag and weight
Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
DEGOIWKY
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #6
It is for OTA television, picks up the locals wherever you are.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.

Reply #7
That may be something I want. Will keep it and look for new antenna and defeat the other two.  Any  antenna ideas would be appreciated
Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
DEGOIWKY
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #8
I believe others have put the new style head on the mast. Look for it, or maybe someone will post theirs.

Reply #9
Scott,
Just last week I got tired of the rattling from the crank up antenna.  It already had the King Jack head installed.  It received TV pretty good, but I couldn't take the rattling anymore.

I removed it and installed the King Jack roof mount model with the Power Booster.  It was an easy swap.  Others have said they felt like the roof mount didn't receive as well as the crank up.  I am finding it to be just as good, and silent when on the road. Plus, you never have to worry about cranking it down when taking off !

As for the satellite dish, I replaced mine with one of the enclosed dome models. It too makes no noise or rattling when underway.  The only negative of permanently mounting the Sat Dish on the roof is if you park where you can't get southern exposure, you won't receive a signal.

Just my two cents worth.
Mark & Bev
2001 U295 36'
Cummins ISC 8.3 350HP
Build #5802
Jeep Wrangler Toad

Reply #10
My rv came with a dome antenna, but since I don't watch tv, I took it off and sold it to someone who wanted it.  I also got tired of hearing the OA antenna thumbing and rattling on the roof and took it off too.  Family, friends, books, internet and the great outdoors are more than enough entertainment and are much more edifying than the stuff on TV nowadays.
2002 36' U270 Foretravel

Reply #11
I reduced on-road and static weather wind noise in my coach by 5dB or more by removing all that antique stuff and unceremoniously tossing it in the nearest dumpster.  New wireless technologies don't require multiple antennas or sensors screwed into/through the roof, or subscriptions to monopoly satellite signal companies.  Just a PC, router/appleTV, and a good mifi system...or good books.  My $.02.  Woody.  #defundallprosport
2001 4010 U320 build #5865 "Bluto-d-Bus" since 09/18
2006 Honda Element ESP Toad
Full timing since 2016 in Western MT
Copilot: Sitka
1975 GMC 260 Avion: sold

Reply #12
My coach came with a King Jack and I don't hear it. I also shortened the arms so I had room for a solar panel.
Peter and Frieda Morin
1999 36ft. U320 Foretravel
Build # 5436
1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport

Reply #13
We removed the antique crank-up satellite dish.  Put a King Jack head on the original crank-up OTA antenna arms.  A foam pad stuck to the roof for the Jack antenna to rest on solved the rattling going down the road.  We do still use the crank-up OTA antenna, but it's a big hassle finding the local TV towers and re-programing the TV and DVR each time we move.

As said above, assuming you have a good deal on unlimited 4G (or 5G) data, then streaming online video is the way to go.  We use our Mobley AT&T hotspot for 95% of our TV watching both at home and on the road.  It is also our only internet connection.  We average 30GB data usage each month.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #14
We took the old satellite dish off and I took a piece of 16 gauge metal and made an adapter to fit the dish to the old base on the roof
replaced old one with a dish dome mount and we use the dish for my RV so you pay by the month when you are using it
Chris
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR

Reply #15
I use this app I found to assist in finding what is the best direction to aim your OTA antenna. As long as you have a cell signal you rotate your phone and options appear in multiple directions. Choose the closet and normally you are able to receive some stations once aligned with green directional triangle...and sometime not.
Chuck Wiggy
Coloma, Wisconsin
Sold my 1999 U 320 40 Ft. M11 450 hp
Build # 5468
2009 Silverado

Reply #16
Well, that is a great help.
I was frustrated with determining direction when weather/sky wasn't clear, so I came up with a Rube Goldberg idea of my own.
First I needed a compass that would indicate North.
Then I put four pieces of Velcro hook material with adhesive backing around the manual OTA antenna directional control on the ceiling of the coach.
I then made a pattern on paper with the directions of the compass on it, along with divisions per quadrant. I mounted the paper pattern on a piece of Lexan, with Velcro loop material adhered to the back of the paper backed Lexan.
After consulting my compass I would set my Lexan "hoop" with the compass points on it to the North location indicated by the compass up on the ceiling onto the velcro hook material.
By the way, the picture attached is an old first attempt so that is why it is in my desk drawer.
Also, I do not have a cell phone so this was my solution to determine approximate locations of TV broadcast towers by using a compass and a map. I could rotate the "hoop" whenever we changed coach location/orientation to North .
Nitehawk,  Demolition Lady, & our NEW master, Zippy the speeding BB cat.
1989 Grand Villa 36' ORED
Oshkosh chassis, 8.2 DD V8
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #17
Well, I guess we in the bigdog family are the odd duck's. We like having the option of having options for entertainment on those days when we are coach bound for one reason or another and choose to watch the tube. As we were late to the internet cell connection game. We were not able to find one of the old truly unlimited accounts. We can't get away with screen sharing to avoid rather limited hotspot tethering. So as we have Direct TV at home. It made perfect sense (to us) to pay the additional $7 per month for the second receiver in the coach.
The thing I like about satellite is that sometimes I have no idea what I want to watch and simply surf. Having to search the net seems odd as how do you search for something that you aren't aware of until you see it. If your viewing habits are set in stone to never change. Then I guess down loading the same ole show would work.

Or like Mr, Nitehawk and don't have a cell account. Although I'm sure Rocket can entertain as well as the TV.
Jerry & Nona and Kimeru the cat that thinks she's a dog
1998 36' WTFE U320  #5314 Motorcade #17711
USAF 1975-1995
2019 Subaru Crosstrek 'toad'
2003 Subaru Legacy touring car
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #18
I would say take the equipment off the roof if you must ( I did remove the ota antenna) but save the coax connections and wiring for " what if " scenarios cause life happens.  And also never say never.

I'm now contemplating putting my ota antenna mast back up with a directional cell antenna mounted on it.

And as far as programming goes, we've tried SEVERAL apps and procedures to get Fox Business live and nothing works good enough so,, we have basic Dish for that.  DW just can't live without it.    Dish, Netflix and A prime gets it done.
Robert and Susan Moe Sr.
 1995 36' 280 WTBI 8.3 3060r
 1200 watts on the roof, 720 Ah of lithium's
 Build # 4637. Motorcade # 17599
        FMCA  # 451505
        18  Wrangler JLUR

Reply #19
So would anyone have first hand information on the satellite base mounting screws? If there self taping I'll remove base plate, if the have washers and nuts on back side I'll leave for another day.
Thanks Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
DEGOIWKY
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #20
90% chance they are just screws (no nuts/not thru bolted.

An option I like it to buy a sheet of aluminum a little larger than the footprint of the mount.  Paint one side white to blend in with the roof.  use the old mount to drill holes in the new sheet (probably just a few-- like 4) and bed down with a good polysulfide, filling the unused old holes with polysulfide.

Have never seen this arrangement leak.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #21
Scott the were two satellite bases when I bought my coach they were held down with screws and also glued down, one I think
was epoxy which when I pulled it off pulled the fiberglass apart. That wasn't a big deal to me as I was epoxing all the holes so I repaired and then painted the roof.
Peter and Frieda Morin
1999 36ft. U320 Foretravel
Build # 5436
1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport

Reply #22
There is no actual hole cut thru. Just 8 1/4 inch stainless fasteners. Would like to remove but don't want to get involved with headliner. After the first one if they have nuts I'm committed
Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
DEGOIWKY
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #23
There is silicone RTV visible  Took a chance and lucked out. Self tapping screws
Scott and Kim Davidson
DEGOIWKY
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #24
Take a deep breath and unscrew one of them.

Mine were screws and I filled the holes with MarineTex.