Skip to main content
Topic: Thoughts on replacing Koni with Koni FSD (Read 868 times) previous topic - next topic

Thoughts on replacing Koni with Koni FSD

Just bought coach and starting on list of to do's. New steering box rebuild from Redhead. New bags all around and new chassis batteries. My question is this.Coach has red or orange Koni's on it and all appear good. I believe they are adjustable. While I'm doing bags and steering box upfront would I notice any appreciable benefit to swap out Konis to the FSD's  just in the front other than a lighter wallet. Trying to get all long term PM done. Fuel lines are next. Any thoughts appreciated
2001 4010 U320
Build 5875

Re: Thoughts on replacing Koni with Koni FSD

Reply #1
How many miles are on your coach? They definitely improved the ride of mine with 106,000 miles. Think of the labor to do the shocks at a later time when they are so easy with the airbags out.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #2
Fuel lines and redhead first, if budget allows you will notice steering Accuracy improvements and may notice ride improvements
Tim Fiedler    2000  Foretravel U-320 4010
2000 Chevy Tracker 2 Door Convertible 4WD Now lifted 4.5"
1985 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston
Murphy Rebel on wheels with 175HP Titan
Cessna 185 on Aerocet 3500 straight floats. (1/4 share)
1980 48' Westport MY (!/4 Share)

Reply #3
89,000 miles. Have rebuilt Redhead, Fuel lines are planned after suspension work.Thinking just might  be lot easier to do shocks with bags out in front. Will do back shocks later. Do they make much difference over adjustable konis. Coach drives like a dream even with seeping steering box. Wondering if good bang for the buck.
2001 4010 U320
Build 5875

Reply #4
If on perfect roads.  Don't bother.  Rough roads?  Immediately
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #5
The FSD's eliminated the porpoising I was having with the original red shocks.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.

Reply #6
And if you adjust them tighter every square edge kick back hard.

What tires?
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #7
Lots and LOTS of previous discussion, albeit the most recent is likely a few years ago, on exactly this subject.  You might try searching the forum (Community -> Search) for Koni FSD to get some of the prior posts/info.

Note red-orange Koni shocks are adjustable, gold FSD Koni shocks are not (thought it doesn't matter since they function a little differently than the red-orange OEMs).

Personal bias - FSD was one of the best upgrades we'd made to our 2003.
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #8
Our Koni FSD story:  Many years ago, we drove out after installing them and the coach rode MUCH better, and within a few miles it was the new norm and I could no longer remember how our old shocks felt. Still going good years later and happy we put them on.

Reply #9
So mine has gold color Koni's. Are those the best
1996 U295-36, Cummins 300hp, 8.3. Build number 4864. Vin number 1F97D536XTNO54271. Purchased October 31, 2019.

Reply #11
What is "redhead" ? and is there age limit to fuel lines (uhhh this is probably already discussed, need to search)
2003 GV U295 (6230)
2006 Jeep Unlimited TJ
2018 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins
Former 94 GV U225

Reply #12
What is "redhead" ? and is there age limit to fuel lines (uhhh this is probably already discussed, need to search)

Redhead is the company many on the forum recommend using for rebuilding the Shepard steering gearbox. 

Yes, lots of posts on fuel lines.  No hard age limit, but at 20 years, many are showing signs of deterioration and likely need to be replaced.  As they age, they develop micro cracks and some start weeping fuel.  The micro cracks allow air to be drawn in on the supply side and when it gets severe enough makes engine starting very difficult.
40ft 1997 U320

Reply #13
Redhead is the company many on the forum recommend using for rebuilding the Shepard steering gearbox.
Thank you!.
"No hard age limit, but at 20 years," Do we know if this more true for the ones build in 1990s vs. 2000s.
Have they used different materials or was it same throughout.

2003 GV U295 (6230)
2006 Jeep Unlimited TJ
Former 94 GV U225

Reply #14
No difference in materials these were used on over the road trucks long before they were used on coaches.

Reply #15
No difference in materials these were used on over the road trucks long before they were used on coaches.
When we replace them do we replace them with the same kind material and hope for 20 years service or are there better longer lasting hose available for diesel fuel lines now, compare to 90s and early 2000s?
2003 GV U295 (6230)
2006 Jeep Unlimited TJ
Former 94 GV U225

Reply #16
I was speaking of the steering box. New fuel lines are much better now.

Reply #17
I had my redtops readjusted twice to compensate for their wear. 

Major change to replace them with the FSD's. 

Plus if registered with Koni they have a lifetime warranty
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #18
Just bought coach and starting on list of to do's. New steering box rebuild from Redhead. New bags all around and new chassis batteries. My question is this.Coach has red or orange Koni's on it and all appear good. I believe they are adjustable. While I'm doing bags and steering box upfront would I notice any appreciable benefit to swap out Konis to the FSD's  just in the front other than a lighter wallet. Trying to get all long term PM done. Fuel lines are next. Any thoughts appreciated
Per the shocks. do they have any oil on them at all. This is a sign that the seal has failed. And if even one has that issue. The others are not likely far behind in failing. The labor saved by doing the shocks and bag at the same time is big. Yet if the shocks are oil free and good then no need.

On fuel lines. The difference in cost of rubber and high quality (and very long lived) Silicone lines is relatively minor. It's the labor that bites real hard. Even though we are not sure of whether our coach will be living or dead in 20 years when it will be 42 years old. We will spring for the top rated lines when we have them replaced next month.
Jerry & Nona and Kimeru the cat that thinks she's a dog
1998 36' WTFE U320  #5314 Motorcade #17711
USAF 1975-1995
2019 Subaru Crosstrek 'toad'
2003 Subaru Legacy touring car
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #19
On fuel lines. The difference in cost of rubber and high quality (and very long lived) Silicone lines is relatively minor. It's the labor that bites real hard. Even though we are not sure of whether our coach will be living or dead in 20 years when it will be 42 years old. We will spring for the top rated lines when we have them replaced next month.
Bigdog, when you select a fuel line, please post the details on the type you select.  It is my understanding silicone hoses are a little permeable, so it is unlikely they make a silicon fuel hose like they make for coolant/heater/radiator service.  I believe CARB and other environmental agencies require new fuel hose to be much less permeable and I think most compliant hoses have a barrier liner covered with a material to protect that liner.  Then again, there are lots of products on the market and perhaps they have a silicone hose that is rated for diesel service.

I read other posts where Trident Barrier Lined A1-15 Fuel hose was used and read that MOT is using something which looks like PEX.  Will be interesting to see what you select.
40ft 1997 U320

Reply #20
Bigdog, when you select a fuel line, please post the details on the type you select.  It is my understanding silicone hoses are a little permeable, so it is unlikely they make a silicon fuel hose like they make for coolant/heater/radiator service.  I believe CARB and other environmental agencies require new fuel hose to be much less permeable and I think most compliant hoses have a barrier liner covered with a material to protect that liner.  Then again, there are lots of products on the market and perhaps they have a silicone hose that is rated for diesel service.

I read other posts where Trident Barrier Lined A1-15 Fuel hose was used and read that MOT is using something which looks like PEX.  Will be interesting to see what you select.
When I talked to Oregon motorcoach in Eugene, Oregon. I just specified high quality fuel line. But It was my assumption that it was silicone based. I'll post up what they put in.
Jerry & Nona and Kimeru the cat that thinks she's a dog
1998 36' WTFE U320  #5314 Motorcade #17711
USAF 1975-1995
2019 Subaru Crosstrek 'toad'
2003 Subaru Legacy touring car
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #21
On our coach, it had a red koni to the front, a yellow monroe on the back. This is on the front axle. I replaced all 4 front shocks on the front with 4 koni golds. I didnt notice any change period. The rear of mine still has the 1 red koni and 1 yellow monroe. Next spring Im putting 4 Bilsteins on the rear just to update the shocks. She is almost 30 years old and has over 260k miles on it. In my OPINION, those gold shocks are way over priced. I  bet the yellow ones would feel just the same. Just my .02
92 Grand Villa
Silver 6v92
 side isle.
build# 3973

Reply #22
I don't know but the Monaco Dynasty I had had Bilsteins and 8 air bags the same as the Foretravel and the Foretravel has a
way better ride. The only thing I can see different is the shocks but maybe there is something else.
Peter and Frieda Morin
1999 36ft. U320 Foretravel
Build # 5436
1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport

Reply #23
My coach drove fine with the original Bilstein shocks but the FSD's did make a noticeable difference.  Well worth the relatively low cost of the shocks and basically free installation at the time of airbag replacement.  I can't speak directly about the adjustable Koni's but I assume the FSD's would be a similar improvement.

Reply #24
I just replaced the front shocks after buying the sooper dooper impact gun from harbor freight, fyi, the Pittsburgh impact sockets I bought are a little soft, had to pry the 1 1/2 socket off the gun stem. I put regular Monroe shocks on at $104 each, like MT Ted I can't see the need for $250 shocks on a 33 year old outfit. I can see adjustable shocks on a motorcycle or some sort of race car, but on a commercial vehicle chassis, that's a bit of a stretch. IMHO.
88 Grand Villa 36' ORED 3208 (throwaway)Cat.
 Build # 3150
Happiness is the maximum agreement of reality and desire.