Skip to main content

Topic: Thoughts on replacing Koni with Koni FSD (Read 490 times) previous topic - next topic

Thoughts on replacing Koni with Koni FSD
Just bought coach and starting on list of to do's. New steering box rebuild from Redhead. New bags all around and new chassis batteries. My question is this.Coach has red or orange Koni's on it and all appear good. I believe they are adjustable....

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Thoughts on replacing Koni with Koni FSD
Reply #1
How many miles are on your coach? They definitely improved the ride of mine with 106,000 miles. Think of the labor to do the shocks at a later time when they are so easy with the airbags out.

Reply #2
Fuel lines and redhead first, if budget allows you will notice steering Accuracy improvements and may notice ride improvements

Reply #3
89,000 miles. Have rebuilt Redhead, Fuel lines are planned after suspension work.Thinking just might  be lot easier to do shocks with bags out in front. Will do back shocks later. Do they make much difference over adjustable konis. Coach drives...

Reply #4
If on perfect roads.  Don't bother.  Rough roads?  Immediately

Reply #5
The FSD's eliminated the porpoising I was having with the original red shocks.

Reply #6
And if you adjust them tighter every square edge kick back hard.

What tires?

Reply #7
Lots and LOTS of previous discussion, albeit the most recent is likely a few years ago, on exactly this subject.  You might try searching the forum (Community -> Search) for Koni FSD to get some of the prior posts/info.

Note red-orange Koni shocks...

Reply #8
Our Koni FSD story:  Many years ago, we drove out after installing them and the coach rode MUCH better, and within a few miles it was the new norm and I could no longer remember how our old shocks felt. Still going good years later and happy we...

Reply #9
So mine has gold color Koni's. Are those the best

Reply #10
So mine has gold color Koni's. Are those the best
Yes.

KONI NA | List

KONI NA | FSD

Reply #11
What is "redhead" ? and is there age limit to fuel lines (uhhh this is probably already discussed, need to search)

Reply #12
What is "redhead" ? and is there age limit to fuel lines (uhhh this is probably already discussed, need to search)

Redhead is the company many on the forum recommend using for rebuilding the...

Reply #13
Redhead is the company many on the forum recommend using for rebuilding the Shepard steering gearbox.
Thank you!.
"No hard age limit, but at 20 years," Do we know if this more true for the...

Reply #14
No difference in materials these were used on over the road trucks long before they were used on coaches.

Reply #15
No difference in materials these were used on over the road trucks long before they were used on coaches.
When we replace them do we replace them with the same kind material and hope for 20...

Reply #16
I was speaking of the steering box. New fuel lines are much better now.

Reply #17
I had my redtops readjusted twice to compensate for their wear. 

Major change to replace them with the FSD's. 

Plus if registered with Koni they have a lifetime warranty

• bigdog
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
Just bought coach and starting on list of to do's. New steering box rebuild from Redhead. New bags all around and new chassis batteries. My question is this.Coach has red or orange Koni's...

Reply #19
On fuel lines. The difference in cost of rubber and high quality (and very long lived) Silicone lines is relatively minor. It's the labor that bites real hard. Even though we are not sure of...

• bigdog
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #20
Bigdog, when you select a fuel line, please post the details on the type you select.  It is my understanding silicone hoses are a little permeable, so it is unlikely they make a silicon fuel...

• MT Ted
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #21
On our coach, it had a red koni to the front, a yellow monroe on the back. This is on the front axle. I replaced all 4 front shocks on the front with 4 koni golds. I didnt notice any change period. The rear of mine still has the 1 red koni and 1...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #22
I don't know but the Monaco Dynasty I had had Bilsteins and 8 air bags the same as the Foretravel and the Foretravel has a
way better ride. The only thing I can see different is the shocks but maybe there is something else.

Reply #23
My coach drove fine with the original Bilstein shocks but the FSD's did make a noticeable difference.  Well worth the relatively low cost of the shocks and basically free installation at the time of airbag replacement.  I can't speak directly...

Reply #24
I just replaced the front shocks after buying the sooper dooper impact gun from harbor freight, fyi, the Pittsburgh impact sockets I bought are a little soft, had to pry the 1 1/2 socket off the gun stem. I put regular Monroe shocks on at $104...