Skip to main content
Topic: coach water pump (Read 557 times) previous topic - next topic

coach water pump

Hi,

My water pump has been acting up for a few months, it seems to lose suction no mater if on hot or cold or the level of the water tank.  It runs briefly-maybe 10-15 seconds then seems to "catch" water and get pressure back.  this can happen in a matter of seconds from shutting faucet off or it can run as should for days at a time.  It seems to be getting worse.

I always thought the water pumps were all or nothing, but can they go bad and still "run"?  I thought I'd ask before I went and bought a new one if anyone else had this experience.

TIA
Dan 1989 U280 40'

Re: coach water pump

Reply #1
Might help get a more specific answer if you tell us exactly what brand and model pump you have.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #2
I had similar problem but not sure if yours  will be identical.
My tank fill control valve (up front between the seats, in the floor, left side) had a deteriorated faucet washer. I replaced it but it turned out the metal seat was deteriorated after 29 years. When the coach was hooked up to hose connection from the outside, the tank would very slowly fill and then overflow.
The water pump on board would, every so often, cycle even tho no faucet was open. Turned out to be that tank fill "faucet". I replaced it with a levered gate/ball valve and the mysterious cycling problem went away.
Nitehawk,  Demolition Lady, & our NEW master, Zippy the speeding BB cat.
1989 Grand Villa 36' ORED
Oshkosh chassis, 8.2 DD V8
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #3
There is also a check valve in the pump itself that can go bad and allow pressure to fall causing cycling. Eliminate the fill valve leaking pressure first.
1994 U280, Build 4490
Deming, NM.

Reply #4
Follow up, changed out the shure flo pump and life is good again.

Thanks to all that replied.
Dan 1989 U280 40'

Reply #5
Camp Addict has some choices for 2020 here: What is the Best 12 Volt RV Water Pump for 2020? - Camp Addict  I still have a couple of belt driven Jabsco 12V water pumps I removed from our old RV before junking it. Anyone still use them? Seem easy to maintain but replacement parts are pricey. Amazon.com : Jabsco 36900-1000 Marine PAR High Pressure Belt Drive Water...

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)