Skip to main content
Topic: Steer axle vs drive axle tire tread style (ie. Rib vs sipe or lug) (Read 964 times) previous topic - next topic

Steer axle vs drive axle tire tread style (ie. Rib vs sipe or lug)

Are folks running a different type of tire tread on their drive axle vs the steer axle?

My understanding is steer tread should always be ribbed and can be used on drive axles, but alternately a lug or sipe tread can used on the drive axle.

I assume a lug or sipe tread would offer more traction, but probably not required for the driving conditions most likely encountered in a motor coach.

From the numerous prior posts, I know there are many passionate opinions on tire brands and I am definitely not asking that question.  :)

Do you run the same tire style front and rear or do you use a different tread style on the drive axle.
40ft 1997 U320

Re: Steer axle vs drive axle tire tread style (ie. Rib vs sipe or lug)

Reply #1
Steer x 6

Reply #3
Steer. All the way around
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #4
KISS.  Steer x 6. 
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #5
Toyo steer x6
Scott and Kim Davidson
If you're going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
DEGOIWKY
Don't ever get old, it will kill you
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #6
Toyo steer 6 load range H
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #7
OP said he doesn't care to discuss tire brands - he is only asking opinions about tire tread design.

As a highly qualified armchair engineer, I can't see how rear dually tire tread design would make much (if any) difference in common low traction situations.  With all the weight hanging on the rear axle of a diesel pusher, traction is normally gonna be pretty darn good...until it isn't.  But where do large pusher motorhomes commonly get in trouble?  Three conditions that I have read about (but never personally encountered).

1.  Mud.  Stick a diesel pusher in mud, and the tires won't matter.  The tread will pack with mud, and any tire turns into a slick.  Call a wrecker.

2.  Sand.  The only tires that help in deep soft sand are flotation style paddle tires.  Anything else is useless once you get stuck.  Call a wrecker.

3.  Snow and ice.  I suppose a special "snow and ice" tire with specific tread design and rubber compound might help.  No personal experience.  I'll let those who have been there comment.  I prefer to sit out the storm and drink hot buttered rum.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #8
Steer x 6.
JohnH
Coachless, now use aircraft.
1994 Ford E350 ClassC,total renovation inside and out. Now sold.
2000 U295  36' Cummins 350 c/w Banks Stinger, Resonator upgrade,Solar, LED lites.Residential fridge with slide out pantry. Build 5674. Sold
ex 92 GV 022C ored Cummins. Sold
ex 95 GV240 cat 3116. Sold
2017 Mini cooper s & 2016 land Rover LR2 HSE  LUX.
jhaygarth@aol.com    SKP #130098
treat everyone as you would like to be.

Reply #9
If you have steer tires all the way around, your spare can be a steer and fit any position.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #10
Steer all the way around.

Larry

Reply #11
Steer X 6 here as well. I,m off pavement less than 1% of the time and then, only on maintained dirt roads, (dry).
The Starship- 1990 Grandvilla Unihome U300 40ft
6V92 Detroit Diesel w/ 4 spd Allison w/ retarder. Build# 3575 , Foretravel# 17895
The Shuttlecraft- 2015 Ford Explorer
Steve ( N6EKV ) & Lori ( N6JTD ) Faries  w/ Marlee our precious pup.
Patterson CA.

Reply #12
Steers all away around and in the winter snow tires on the rear.
Peter and Frieda Morin
1999 36ft. U320 Foretravel
Build # 5436
1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport

Reply #13
OP said he doesn't care to discuss tire brands - he is only asking opinions about tire tread design.

As a highly qualified armchair engineer, I can't see how rear dually tire tread design would make much (if any) difference in common low traction situations.  With all the weight hanging on the rear axle of a diesel pusher, traction is normally gonna be pretty darn good...until it isn't.  But where do large pusher motorhomes commonly get in trouble?  Three conditions that I have read about (but never personally encountered).

1.  Mud.  Stick a diesel pusher in mud, and the tires won't matter.  The tread will pack with mud, and any tire turns into a slick.  Call a wrecker.

2.  Sand.  The only tires that help in deep soft sand are flotation style paddle tires.  Anything else is useless once you get stuck.  Call a wrecker.

3.  Snow and ice.  I suppose a special "snow and ice" tire with specific tread design and rubber compound might help.  No personal experience.  I'll let those who have been there comment.  I prefer to sit out the storm and drink hot buttered rum.

Having been stuck in the sand once you are 100% correct.          ^.^d
Ted & Karen
2001 U270 36' - sold after 12 years full timing

Reply #14
I have driven in snow and ice both with snow tires and without. The coach is not to bad without snow tires but great with them.
Up here it is the law that snow tires are mandatory on certain highways from October to April.
Peter and Frieda Morin
Build # 5436

Reply #15
If you drive in snow, there is a good chance the road may have been chemically treated. The number one Foretravel bulkhead killer. You have to wash thoroughly before storing again.

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #16

As everyone else has said. Ribbed all around.

Lugged drives will help some in fresh snow that is an inch or more deep. Once it packs down into ice. Nothing but slowing down and chains will help.
But if one is regularly driving a coach in snow. One has rather big scheduling issues they should work on. :))  :))
Jerry & Nona and Kimeru the cat that thinks she's a dog
1998 36' WTFE U320  #5314 Motorcade #17711
USAF 1975-1995
2019 Subaru Crosstrek 'toad'
2003 Subaru Legacy touring car
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #17
As everyone else has said. Ribbed all around.

Nothing but slowing down and chains will help.
Don't know about yours but chains won't go on our GV. A chain coming loose could do thousands of $$$ of damage.

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #18
Don't know about yours but chains won't go on our GV. A chain coming loose could do thousands of $$$ of damage.

Pierce
Just a general statement about big rigs. No way is there room for conventional chains on an RV. I ran automatic chains on my semi's. So no clearance issues at all. insta chain

I spent to many years fighting snow driving to missile silos and pulling double trailers in Wyoming & South Dakota and so I avoid snow.
USAF 1975-1995
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #19
Winter tire have a different Rubber compound than summer it's a softer compound I've driven 2200 miles and hit snow 100 miles  from home  You don't have to run winter tires but there's better tires you can put on the back of your coach  than a  steerIng  tires you can easily be caught in snow conditions and by having all season tires or a gripping tire than A steering  tire you can save thousands of dollars of damage by not slipping around on bad snow plus you  got grip . I travel every fall from Canada to Florida or Florida to Canada in early March , I seen once leaving Canada on bare pave and get in Connecticut in middle of afternoon and hitting black ice. Road conditions can change in a flash. Like they say don't be caught with your pants down. If you run the southern states only you're ok but if you run northern state you can never tell what you will encounter. You can watch the weather but a drop in temperature changes the whole situation.
Rick & Hilda looking forward to full- timing one day for now couple of months at a time
1999 U270 3602
Built number  5530.  Feb 1999            Motorcade  number 18438
8.3 Cummins Allison six speed with brake  retarder
Purchased Nov 28 2019

Reply #20
Having been stuck in the sand once you are 100% correct.          ^.^d

And no matter how hard I tried I could not pull Ted's coach out of the big deep holes he dug for himself.  Even with 4 wheel drive.

We had to call in the big boy.

Reply #21
Interesting.  Now Ted & Karen's decision to go brick and mortar becomes less conflicted.    :D

And no matter how hard I tried I could not pull Ted's coach out of the big deep holes he dug for himself.  Even with 4 wheel drive.

We had to call in the big boy.

2001 4010 U320 build #5865 "Bluto-d-Bus" since 09/18
2006 Honda Element ESP Toad
Full timing since 2016 in Western MT
Copilot: Sitka
1975 GMC 260 Avion: sold

Reply #22
Those Instachains are one of the coolest things I've seen in years!!!!  Just sayin.

Just a general statement about big rigs. No way is there room for conventional chains on an RV. I ran automatic chains on my semi's. So no clearance issues at all. insta chain

I spent to many years fighting snow driving to missile silos and pulling double trailers in Wyoming & South Dakota and so I avoid snow.
2001 4010 U320 build #5865 "Bluto-d-Bus" since 09/18
2006 Honda Element ESP Toad
Full timing since 2016 in Western MT
Copilot: Sitka
1975 GMC 260 Avion: sold

Reply #23
Very expensive, but in SD & Wy. You can run in bare pavement, ice and right back in bare pavement. That's why truckers try to not chain up. It's hard and slow and you can't run on pavement for long.
All I had to do was slow to 25MPH and flip a switch. Boom, chained up for that slick hill.
USAF 1975-1995
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #24
Bigdog when you ski it's nothing to do with schedule, it's what I want, lots of snow. I also have a set of soft chains that I carry so
when I travel during the chain months mostly coming back from a trip that I am legal. If I have to put on chains I will wait a day
or two until the road is clear. Sometime in late November I put on the snow tires.
Peter and Frieda Morin
Build # 5436