Skip to main content
Topic: Door no longer made (Read 1562 times) previous topic - next topic

Door no longer made

My coach after my excursion into a semi, needs a new door.  Just talked to Xtreme, and my door was from an aircraft mfg. than is no longer in business.  They were used on 95-99 coaches, along with other doors from other manufacturers. So I need a 95-99 round top door, looks to be 25 inches wide.  Can anyone help? This is so not good news.
Chuckd
1995 U295C  36 foot
Amery Wi

Re: Door no longer made

Reply #1
I forgot, it also has an external hinge.  I have called Vision RV in Kentucky and there door are rotted on the bottom, going to call them back and see how badly vs what mine looks like.  Thanks guys for any and all help.
Chuckd
1995 U295C  36 foot
Amery Wi

Reply #2
I forgot, it also has an external hinge.  I have called Vision RV in Kentucky and there door are rotted on the bottom, going to call them back and see how badly vs what mine looks like.  Thanks guys for any and all help.

If you can get a door, and the best you can do is one with "rot" on the bottom, I say go with it.  Welding technology has advance so far with the advent of switching power supplies and therefore computer control, a really talented TIG (GTAW) welder can weld two aluminum soda (pop) cans together.  Therefore replacing the bottom of a door should be much easier than making a new door.  And no "Pop" rivets.

https://youtu.be/ynrU54KbURM
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #3
try Colaw RV Parts and Salvage in Carthage MO they had a couple of Foretravels, not sure the years or door status

Tim Fiedler
Tim Fiedler    2000  Foretravel U-320 4010
2000 Chevy Tracker 2 Door Convertible 4WD Now lifted 4.5"
1985 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston
Murphy Rebel on wheels with 175HP Titan
Cessna 185 on Aerocet 3500 straight floats. (1/4 share)
1980 48' Westport MY (!/4 Share)

Reply #4
is this what you want??

95 U320
Pat/Blue Angel
1995 U240 36ft
MC# 16511
Build# 4653

Reply #5
Be aware that the 95 door is narrower by a few inches than the following production  years. You need a 1995 door.
1995 U320C SE 40'
Jeep 4x4 Commander - Limited - Hemi
"The Pack"  Yogi and Diesel our Airedales -  Charlie our Boxer/Akita mix. Gone but NEVER forgotten Jake our yellow Lab.
NRA Law Enforcement Firearms instructor - Handgun/shotgun
Regional Firearms instructor for national Armored Transp. Co.

Reply #6
Yes Lon I measured and noticed that it was not very wide, did not realize that it was the only year for that width.  The pics of buses at the Kentucky RV salvage yard are a bit misleading, none of them are in the condition in the pics.  The pics were taken when they were brought in, land now they are pretty much hulks without much left in some cases.  For instance there are no side mirrors on any coach.  May take door off and see if anything can be done with it.  Not going to do that until I have had time to explore all options.  Thanks for all the comments.
Chuckd
1995 U295C  36 foot
Amery Wi

Reply #7
95 and 96 are both 24" doors.  97 and up 26"

The 95 door is a unicorn.  They KNOW what it's worth if you have to have it.

Sellers market.  They need to pull it.  Box it and truck ship it.

"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #8
Post some pictures of it.  Bear in mind there are people who can build you an exact P51 Mustang if you supply a data plate.  I'll show my aluminum TIG guy, see what he can do. 
"Not so  long ago we were a nation of risk takers, riding five million pounds of  thrust straight into space."  Joe Gresh
Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS

Reply #9
For instance there are no side mirrors on any coach.  May take door off and see if anything can be done with it.  Not going to do that until I have had time to explore all options.  Thanks for all the comments.

Is that an all metal door?
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
N1RPN

Reply #10
Yes seems to be
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #11

Is it a flat door with round corners and maybe a window? If it's like the one in the picture a high end sheet metal shop can built one easily.
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
N1RPN

Reply #12
Perhaps Foretravel can help?
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains

Reply #13
Had to have my entry door replaced at FOT and the part came from PPL.
Steve & Sandy
2003 U320 4220 WCDS, build#6160
Motorcade #17794
USMC '67-'71

Reply #14
Steve:  PPL is a supplier of doors for Foretravel, but the did not, and do not make these doors.
Chuckd
1995 U295C  36 foot
Amery Wi

Reply #15
Lower stress.  There are still craft people in the country.  With measurements and pictures. It can be built. Think of all the school bus conversions. Tiny houses on and on. Man made it! It can be made again. Its not that hard.
Mark
1999 U270 40 #5518
USN. USPS.

Reply #16
Maybe PPL is PTL.

PTL Engineering
3333 John Conley Dr. Lapeer, MI 48446
(810) 664-2310

Welcome - PTL Engineering

They made the door on my '03, and the may be able to help.  Their website says they do custom work.

Reply #17
Had to have my entry door replaced at FOT and the part came from PPL.
My bad. The new door assembly for my coach came from PTL, not PPL.

Steve
Steve & Sandy
2003 U320 4220 WCDS, build#6160
Motorcade #17794
USMC '67-'71

Reply #18
Pass The Loot
88 Grand Villa 36' ORED 3208 (throwaway)Cat.
 Build # 3150
Happiness is the maximum agreement of reality and desire.

Reply #19
Update, trying to post pics, but my mind is not in tune with the logic necessary to do same, but I will get it done. 

So here are my thoughts so far:  Early next week bringing coach to a body shop (friend of mine) and the owner will look at the door.  Chris is a body man, but also a builder of hot rods etc from scratch.  More than likely we will try to take the door off, and I will leave it with Chris while he either builds a door from scratch or repairs what I have.  I will bring the coach to a indoor storage facility a couple of miles from my house.  Not heated but will be plugged into electricity.  So will see what happens after Chris looks at the door.

Thanks for the ideas, and encouragement.
Chuckd
1995 U295C  36 foot
Amery Wi

Reply #20
Chris is a body man, but also a builder of hot rods etc from scratch.
I watch YouTube videos of master hotrod reconstruction experts and their projects, just because I am so in awe of their almost magical skills.  They can bend and shape metal like it is Play-Doh.  They can produce entire cars from a few drawings and a pile of raw materials.

So I agree with the above comments.  Repairing your old door, or building, if necessary, a brand new door for your coach, should be child's play.  Just need to find the right craftsman.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #21
I am reviving this thread as I am now the one who wants to find the elusive door for this coach. Can someone confirm the outside width (edge of exterior trim to trim) of their larger size door?

I have now removed the bad door and I am left with 26.75" wide opening in the wall. I can make it one inch larger I am confident. I am hopeful that I can convert the opening to a larger door.

Reply #22
So in looking at your photo I would be concerned about getting the opening correct more so for the windshield than anything else first. Don't want to end up with a door that fits but consumes windshields. Im curious why you would want to make the opening for the larger door. I agree bigger is always better, but changing it sounds like a really big involved project. the 2001 door frame size just above door strike plate forward to the door hinge plate is 28 5/16. The hinge is about a 1/2 inch forward of the forward frame on the outside. My door has the exposed seal and the improved later years has the seal covered and works better IMO. Also cleaner looking
Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
If you're going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
DEGOIWKY
Don't ever get old, it will kill you
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #23
Ohh I would not change the windshield side at all. That is a main steel structural post there. On the strike side of the door it is a 1.5 x 1.5 wood piece attached to steel. I could easily cut an inch and still clear the awing hardware etc. I don't want a bigger door. I just am thinking that finding this rare smaller door is going to be hard. To make things more difficult I am working crazy hours right now during the day and have zero time to make phone calls and try to track one down. I did have another member reach out and offer to make some calls for me :) This site is great!

Reply #24
To make things more difficult I am working crazy hours right now during the day and have zero time. This site is great!
Do what I did. Couple weeks ago I took of Sunday,Monday,June,July and August off. No money but the time off is priceless.
Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
If you're going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
DEGOIWKY
Don't ever get old, it will kill you
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834