Skip to main content
Topic: Detroit Diesel Turbo Blanket (Read 345 times) previous topic - next topic

Detroit Diesel Turbo Blanket

I am planning to install a turbo blanket on my Detroit engine turbo. The seller of the blanket states that the temp ratings (i.e., momentary and continuous) are 800-1200.

Is that high enough?

I have seen some high-end turbo blankets, such as those from Dynamic Engineering and Heat Shield Systems, that claim a heat rating of 2000. These sell for $300-$600. I went cheap on mine—found one on Ebay from USturbosystems for $65. I haven't installed it as yet.
1989 Foretravel U300 Grand Villa
Build #3410

Re: Detroit Diesel Turbo Blanket

Reply #1
I am planning to install a turbo blanket on my Detroit engine turbo. The seller of the blanket states that the temp ratings (i.e., momentary and continuous) are 800-1200.

Is that high enough?

I have seen some high-end turbo blankets, such as those from Dynamic Engineering and Heat Shield Systems, that claim a heat rating of 2000. These sell for $300-$600. I went cheap on mine—found one on Ebay from USturbosystems for $65. I haven't installed it as yet.
The one you ordered will be fine. Temp rating would be OK for a Cummins and remember, the 2-cycles run a much lower EGT than 4 cycles so not a problem for the 6V-92TA.

You didn't go cheap, you went reasonable.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #2
Pierce, thanks. I'll proceed with the install.

That's good to know about the lower EGT on the DD.
1989 Foretravel U300 Grand Villa
Build #3410

Reply #3
Here are a couple of photos of a dyno readings on the slightly larger 8V-92TA putting out 782hp, 1799 Ft/Lb torque at 2281 rpm. Note the maximum EGT of 870 degrees F. This version goes in Eagles, Prevosts, etc. This engine is also made in 12V-92 and 16V-92. The low EGT is why they don't drop (break off) valves plus there are 4 exhaust valves for each cylinder. But also the reason the air cleaner has to be watched for restriction as they use over twice as much air as a 4 cycle.

Note the incoming air temp before the aftercooler is 37C and after 27C.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)