Skip to main content
Topic: Body damage (Read 938 times) previous topic - next topic

Body damage

So I had somebody damage done the other day driving into a site at a state park. It was twilight time and the visibility wasn't good and there was a concrete basin for water spigot that was sticking out that I thought it was only out about an inch or two in the tire would just roll over it but evidently it was higher than that causing damage to the front left side involving the generator bay door . It popped the latch caused some fiberglass damage and now when I'm driving the door keeps popping open. duct tape's not working too well because of the amount of rain that we've been having I just pulled over again called my insurance company of course and then called for travel of Texas and as soon as they can see me is the end of next week . I was scheduled to be in Georgia for the next 2 weeks I also called extreme graphics in nacogdoches and they're going to get back to me on a time but it may be even longer. Any other places I should be calling? I need some good ideas to get this thing repaired . I was thinking I was just going to get it done in Mexico after quartzite when I was going down to get it painted but now I'm not sure that it can wait that long. Needless to say I'm very stressed about this. Any ideas are helpful thanks.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Re: Body damage

Reply #1
Try to relax - it's just "stuff", it can and will be fixed, and most of us have done similar at some point over the years, these are really big objects! Save stress for life changing stuff if possible

can you drill a hole in the fiberglass and hold it shut with wire or zip ties? a bit more damage to fasten securely - ot wont add to cost of repair and allow you to fix at your convenience

Xtreme paint and graphics can't be beat - a few day job (likely) sent them some pictures and your insurance company info - they have an apartment on site if you cant stay in coach overnight (which you likely will be able to)

Xtreme is worth the wait and trouble to get to, I would and have driven from the Seattle area to get them to do repairs (recanely after I damaged my front cap and entry step exiting a drive with too abrupt a transition)

let us know what you figure out
Tim Fiedler    2000  Foretravel U-320 4010
2000 Chevy Tracker 2 Door Convertible 4WD Now lifted 4.5"
1985 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston
Murphy Rebel on wheels with 175HP Titan
Cessna 185 on Aerocet 3500 straight floats. (1/4 share)
1980 48' Westport MY (!/4 Share)

Reply #2
Or see what u can do with a longer ratchet strap. Loop around the door and through a lower frame member or generator mount. That would for sure keep it from popping up and give u a little piece of mind.
Chuck Wiggy
Coloma, Wisconsin
Sold my 1999 U 320 40 Ft. M11 450 hp
Build # 5468
2009 Silverado

Reply #3
Gorilla tape
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #4
Join the club. A driver went through a red light and clipped the driver's side front corner.  A ghastly crunching noise.  I used metal mending plates from the lumber yard and screws with some decorative duct tape.  Got me to Xtreme in NAC where magic happens.

Don't worry, it will be OK.

Reply #5
Join the club. A driver went through a red light and clipped the driver's side front corner.  A ghastly crunching noise.  I used metal mending plates from the lumber yard and screws with some decorative duct tape.  Got me to Xtreme in NAC where magic happens.

Looks like part of the magic was a headlight conversion.  :)
40ft 1997 U320

Reply #6
It popped the latch caused some fiberglass damage and now when I'm driving the door keeps popping open. duct tape's not working too well

You could disconnect the gas struts that provide lift to the door,  then use some tape that's rainproof.

Reply #7
We've all been there. I had my first crunch on my way home from buying the coach at MOT.

In my experience I would only go to Xtreme in NAC for body work. They are magicians.
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains

Reply #8
When looking at coaches to purchase one had a bungee cord holding the left front generator door closed from the inside. Seemed to keep it closed fine..
Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
If you're going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
DEGOIWKY
Don't ever get old, it will kill you
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #9

Given they're doing fiberglass work in the area anyway....  ;)
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #10

That project was already scheduled.  The other driver's insurance paid for a big part of the headlight conversion

Reply #12
When looking at coaches to purchase one had a bungee cord holding the left front generator door closed from the inside. Seemed to keep it closed fine..
Scott

I had a broken latch on the door under the drivers seat a bungee was not strong enough to hold it shut at highway speed. I tied a rope to the lock mechanism threw it over the wall of the compartment and tied it tight to something near the back of the headlights. I could untie it and open it if necessary.

Speaking of ut-ohs here is my entry that allowed me to join the club. We won't discuss my stupidity that day.
These are pics of before and after the Xtreme repair

Keith
The selected media item is not currently available.Keith & Jo
2003 U320T 4025 PBBS Designer series
Build 6203    Cummins 500hp
2000 U320 4010 WTFE / Build 5762 —Sold—
Motorcade #18070   
Pasadena, Texas
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-Sunset Orange pearl coat
Don't argue with a fool, people watching might not be able to tell the difference.

Reply #13

Nice looking field repair, Roger.

jk
Jack and Cathy
1992 U280 Unihome 36' Build #4034
Cummins 8.3 /  Allison MT647/ PacBrake
Apopka, FL / Barre Center, NY

Reply #14
Bob,what about that place in Tenn. where James Holder used to work,or the Extreme store at Quartzsite,they always have a booth there,can you get under the front of the coach and bungee cord from the inside,not sure where you are but we have the shop here
in Drummonds outside of Memphis,welcome to patch it up here.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #15
Bob,what about that place in Tenn. where James Holder used to work

Pretty sure it's a Camping World now  :-X  Oops - just checked the map, it changed hands again and appears to a Lazydays location.  Blech.
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #16
Thanks for all the suggestions. I was really stressed out when I made the original post. Being on the side of i-95 with traffic whizzing by barely feet from your head trying to get that door from popping open was not fun as I'm sure you all can understand. I finally did make it to a rest area where with the help of some sunshine and a bunch of paper towels was able to dry it enough to get my duct tape to stick. I use 3M in White and the stuff holds great if it just has a chance to get adhesion. I initially made an appointment with foretravel of Texas but also called xtreme and waiting for them to call or email me back. I would prefer to go to xtreme. I'm going to post some pictures so you'll see what I'm looking at but it's mostly ducked up. I'm here in general coffee State Park in Georgia for at least the next week so I'll probably pull all the tape off and get better pictures then. And I have another roll of gorilla tape somewhere in the bay. Also keep having problems with other bay doors randomly opening at highway speeds. Yesterday it was my wet Bay on the driver side I looked in the mirror and Bam wtf? I know all about the four travel bump and I do it all the time but I just don't understand somehow these doors just randomly opening period that one has never popped open before and that was after 4 or 500 miles of driving. nothing ruins my serenity more than having something stupid like that happening on a drive. I think when the previous owner had the basement repaired by someone in Nac that shall remain nameless they didn't do a very good job of making sure that these things were lined up right. Or else it's something else I don't know period what I do know is that is a very frustrating almost wanting to just drill some holes and put some kind of  lock on there.  The photo of the water spigot coming out of the ground is what I damaged it on period in the dark it looked like it was only a couple inches high I really should have paid more attention to it but I didn't even think I was going to come that close to it.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #17
Well the damage is not as bad as I thought it was in the light of day and a clear head. Still be interesting to see what the final tally comes to. I have a $500 deductible for collision and body damage so that's my out-of-pocket expenses. There's some damage metal around the Ford edge of the door that my two and a half pound Sledge bent it back enough where the door almost closes all the way. If I drill out the rivets I might be able to remove it the lock back into place maybe. But the rivets pulled out of the fiberglass so I doubt very much that I can rivet it without some fiberglass work involved. I really could have just ran a strap or some power cord through this I think and been done with it but I was so focused on just duct tape being it that I didn't really consider any other options period and considering the amount of stress I was in at the time I'm going to have to give myself a pass on that one. I appreciate everybody sharing their experiences with minor accidents that we all do makes you not feel so alone. Anyway a couple years ago I posted a thread on asking about that front joint between the body and the side of the coach, now I know the answer. Wish I had found it out in a different way though LOL.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #18
Yes, call Xtreme on Monday AM and ask to speak to Greg

Take a few more pictures and send them over the weekend to XTreme

James@xtremegraphics.net

Greg will be able to tell you about how much it will cost to fix, and you can decide at that point if it is worth the effort to have Xtreme fix or go somewhere else. (I wouldn't but that is your call )

You can also decide if you want to pay out of pocket or turn in to insurance based on Greg's quote. Likely you will want to turn in

While at Xtreme they can adjust your basement doors to latch better

I've had my doors come open once or twice a year while MKE driving, on both sides of the coach, usually at 70-80 MPH. Someone will pass me or I will pass some one, lots of waving and horn blowing ensues till I figure it out.

Then I pull over, close the doors, and continue on my way. Never list one item out of the basement, probably had 20+ door openings over the last 15 years.

Having fought cancer (3+ years in remission) all these events are just speed bumps in the road of life.

Save your "worry reserve" for life's big challenges, let go the small aggravations where possible
Tim Fiedler    2000  Foretravel U-320 4010
2000 Chevy Tracker 2 Door Convertible 4WD Now lifted 4.5"
1985 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston
Murphy Rebel on wheels with 175HP Titan
Cessna 185 on Aerocet 3500 straight floats. (1/4 share)
1980 48' Westport MY (!/4 Share)

Reply #19

Save your "worry reserve" for life's big challenges, let go the small aggravations where possible

Some good Saturday advice, that.

jk

Jack and Cathy
1992 U280 Unihome 36' Build #4034
Cummins 8.3 /  Allison MT647/ PacBrake
Apopka, FL / Barre Center, NY

Reply #20
It looks like it wasn't the faucet base that got you, but rather the drainage ditch beside the road.  Once your left front tire dropped into the ditch, your front corner fiberglass was very close to ground level.  Been there, done that.  If you notice the problem in advance, it's so easy to raise the coach and clear the obstacle with no issue.  If only....
Regards,
Brett

'99 42' Foretravel Xtreme
'14 Brown Motorsports Stacker
'05 Chevy SSR
'02 BMW R1150R

Reply #21
Actually having to go outside on a busy highway to close the doors that pop open has been a big deal for me. Thoughts of a trauma center or cemetary in my future is on my mind while outside the coach trying to shut them and bump them closed.
I will call Xtreme this morning to follow up. Thanks.
Brett, it was the concrete pad for sure, I damaged it! But the wheels sinking in is what got me I think. I did raise to get off it, but by that time, damage already done. Live and learn.
 Bob
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #22
Okay I was able to get an appointment with xtreme next Monday the same day I was going to go to foretravel. thanks for all the suggestions I appreciate it I'll keep you updated on what it needs and what the final damage is.
Bob
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #23
Bob, are your cargo doors opening all the way so that you appear to be a winged object?  Try disconnecting the gas struts if that's the case.

Reply #24
Bob, are your cargo doors opening all the way so that you appear to be a winged object?  Try disconnecting the gas struts if that's the case.

Yeah when they open T-man they sometimes pop all the way out and sometimes just a little bit. if I disconnect the gas struts will it still lock up into place? I guess it would huh. I'll have to look at it. I'm definitely taking the gas struts out on the damage door for the trip up to nacogdoches. Then I'll tie it down from the inside and finish it with some duct tape.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired