Skip to main content
Topic: Help With Foretravel Purchase. (Read 652 times) previous topic - next topic

Help With Foretravel Purchase.

Hello everyone, I am looking to purchase A grand Villa soon, I have been looking for a few months and reading the forum and taking notes.  I came across this one about a month ago and just saw where the price was lowered. This coach is in my budget and I would like advice on what questions to ask the seller and if someone on the forum was close to his location, I would gladly pay to have an experienced Foretravel owner take a look at it for me.  Here is the link Facebook - Log In or Sign Up

Thank you in advance for any help or advice.

Re: Help With Foretravel Purchase.

Reply #1
Welcome to the Forum, prevel.

You have found the right place to learn all about Foretravel coaches...both the good and the not so good.  We've all been where you are.

See if the link below is helpful:

50 things to check before you buy your used foretravel
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #2
Just from the pictures he may have used it all summer but sure did'nt use any soap and water on it,also looks like the pictures are from different times and locations.Love when they say "no tire kickers"is a silly statement.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #3
Fact that the owner can't find time to replace the windshield wiper blades puts me off.  But that's just me.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #4
Just as an FYI to the OP.  Most of us would recommend that you have an additional $5000 to $10,000 budgeted for first year expenses due to unexpected and undisclosed problems.  On a coach that old, tires, batteries , inverter and a host of other issues could need attention. 

Realistically you should expect to put another $10-15k into deferred maintenance on the coach in the first year  If that is more than you can budget you should probably walk away. 
1998 U320 40'
2005 GMC Yukon
MC# 17609

Reply #5
I am inexperienced with Foretravels, but learning fast.

If it looks like a deal will come together, be sure to ask "is there antyhing else that goes with it?"

That question has provided me with some very cool freebies!"
Matt B
1998 u-320

Reply #6
As with any old home a good roof is essential.  All the more so with an RV, so open the cabinet doors and examine the ceiling and walls for signs of water damage.  Learn how to find and read the date codes on the tires, 7 years is a good limit for all but slow local travel.
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #7
Prevel,

Others plan $5-10 first year for expenses. If you don't choose correctly, that may be the case. In 12 years, we have spent less than $1000 for necessities. Three start batteries for $300 total was the biggest. Big cost is diesel fuel, followed by insurance. Buy the right coach and you may not have much but nickles and dimes. But, for the most part, you make your own luck.

We love the coach with only an occasional complaint.

Solar, big 4K TVs, new flooring are discretionary spending, not mandatory.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)