Skip to main content

Topic: Air bag replacement tips (Read 1063 times) previous topic - next topic

Air bag replacement tips
Ok. Bought 8 new bags, 3 new ride height complete valve kits and a rebuilt air pressure regulator.  Going to have my repair shop do it. These guys have never done a FT. I purchased 8 Harbor freight 12 inch receivers to make it safe when I work...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Air bag replacement tips
Reply #1
The rears can be done from the outside. Drive up on blocks to do the front.

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Dan it's a lot easier to pull wheels to change bags. More room. Also a great time to do brake caliper slide pin cleaning and inspection. Possibly add helper springs to calipers at that same time if they haven't been done. IMO
Scott

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
As Dan said, it is way easier to pull the wheels and the job will go faster including pulling and replacing the wheels.

Reply #4
If you do end up having them pull the wheels,  I certainly agree about pulling and checking slide pins. Had a front wheel pulled to replace the seal, and they decided to pull the slide pin just in case after having visually inspected all of them....

Reply #5
I've changed the bags on 2 coaches & it can be a much different experience on each individual coach.  It's hard to generalize that one method or process is always better than another because the factory installation is different from one year to...

Reply #6
Yes, good point bdale. Thanks

Reply #7
Dan it's a lot easier to pull wheels to change bags. More room. Also a great time to do brake caliper slide pin cleaning and inspection. Possibly add helper springs to calipers at that same time...

Reply #8
OK, here are some photos of the air bag R&R on our coach. If you use an air/hydraulic jack to lift, there is no reason to remove the wheels as there is plenty of room to get the air bag in place and if the old bag is out and the plate clean, the...

Reply #9
Looks like two photos didn't load right.

Reply #10
Looks like two photos didn't load right.
The third photo in the first group is golden!  I had thought about freeing the bag from the mounts, but not about getting it out of the...

Reply #11
Thanks Matt!  This photo didn't load correctly and I added (second photo) it to the second post. It shows the 20 ton air/hydraulic jack extended far enough to remove the bag. I adjust the safety stands a couple of times on the way up just to be...

Reply #12
So if I understand...

The gray plate, thread and nut things are the safety stands.  They would go between the frame and the axle carrier, parallel with the coach, to support the coach if the air jack were to fail.

Matt B

Reply #13
Any suggestions would be appreciated to help them get it right
Thanks

Your 1996 U295 can't be much different than my 96 U270 only special tool was a willing and able partner.  All eight...

Reply #14
Was wondering, If after you take off the Bag air line, you connect another line with shutoff valve and pull a vacuum on it and shut off the valve. will the bag stay collapsed for easier removal.? Just a question 'cause I have never done that...

Reply #15
A valve in the line won't work as it won't go through the  mounting plate. BUT I use a brake bleeding hand vacuum pump with the tapered nozzle just stuck in the end of the air bag inlet.  When bag is compressed then the 1/4" hose will feed...

Reply #16
Was wondering, If after you take off the Bag air line, you connect another line with shutoff valve and pull a vacuum on it and shut off the valve. will the bag stay collapsed for easier...

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
Tools
  • Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 11:00:28 pm by wolfe10

Reply #18
Tools

Looks like you ground down the 3/4" to clear the 2"x3". Nice.

Pierce

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
Actually the 3/4 clears. The 1 1/8 had to be thinned up on the end to clear tube. Also made a hat socket to go over air line fitting and use with 3/4 wrench. Makes it real easy
Scott

Reply #20
Actually the 3/4 clears. The 1 1/8 had to be thinned up on the end to clear tube. Also made a hat socket to go over air line fitting and use with 3/4 wrench. Makes it real easy
Scott
How about a...

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #21
Hopefully this is a more complete picture. Tape and die are 3/4-16. Not needed but there in no need for a friction lock on the big nut.. I put a drop of thread lock on it. Big size is 1 1/8 with end clearanced. Breaker bar make it work better...

Reply #22
I like the white tool for the air fitting. Good shot of all of them.

Pierce

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #23
Thanks, I'm just lazy
Scott

Reply #24
FYI

Not all bags are created equal. Some don't allow the coach raise to max. Not sure which ones. I would do the research if replacing with another brand.

The CONTITECH are fine

Chris