Skip to main content

Topic: New fuel lines (Read 1732 times) previous topic - next topic

• bigdog
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
New fuel lines
We are at Oregon motorcoach center. Brought the coach in on Nov 11th to have the fuel lines replaced & Annual AH service.

Only bugaboo is that they couldn't get the fuel lines purged or the AH service completed before the weekend. So, a bit of...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: New fuel lines
Reply #1
Sure fire way to purge new fuel lines is by SLIGHTLY pressurizing the fuel tank (like 2-5 PSI-- you hand over the fill with air nozzle in your hand).  Have someone else open the secondary fuel filter OUT bleed and do this until all the air...

Reply #2
I used a small drill motor pump, with garden hose fitting's, pumped right up to filter. Coach fired right off, kept running, stumbled once, kept running.
Chris

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Doesn't your coach have the bleed switch next to the engine stop and start buttons in the engine bay?  I just ran the bleed switch several times and bleed air out then started right up.
Scott

• bigdog
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
DSD, yes it does. Not sure if it was or wasn't working. I saw some light come at that panel. I saw them remove the fuel filter once (I wasn't out there all day trying to watch)

I also smelled ether. Which worried me as I don't really like using...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
I've used a lot of ether to start cold engines but never to help bleed an engine. Don't you have an electric fuel pump for bleeding as
Scott suggested. When I said I used lots of ether, it's cause I have had to start a lot of engines in freezing...

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
On my coach you can hear it run (Bleed pump) and see fuel pass thru the stock clear filter. I would avoid ether however I think your coach was equipped with it, my is. White canister forward of the right rear taillight. Bubba with Mayfield and...

• bigdog
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
dsd, as we are going nowhere this weekend. I'll monkey with that bleed pump panel.
I saw the tech messing around with it. But I was watching from the garage door some 20 feet away. So I'm not sure and didn't hear them say they were having issues.

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
Scott with the Aqua-hot mostly we don't need to use the ether and if you are starting a cold engine let the engine turn over a
couple of time and then just touch the ether button for a second and it should fire. Why I let the engine turn over a...

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
I figured it was about like that but will read to see if isTemperature  locked out Or active all the time. Just curious on correct operation. Also need to figure out if the bottle needs replacement, I'm sure it probably does.
Scott

Reply #10
I figured it was about like that but will read to see if isTemperature  locked out Or active all the time. Just curious on correct operation. Also need to figure out if the bottle needs...

Reply #11
I've used a lot of ether to start cold engines but never to help bleed an engine. Don't you have an electric fuel pump for bleeding as
Scott suggested. When I said I used lots of ether, it's...

Reply #12
I figured it was about like that but will read to see if isTemperature  locked out Or active all the time. Just curious on correct operation. Also need to figure out if the bottle needs...

• nitehawk
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
Just out of curiosity, in freezing cold weather, instead of ether, couldn't one start the generator and then run the block heater for an hour if no ether is desired or available?
Just curious.
I took the ether can out of our coach and use the...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
I use the Aqua-hot mostly and have a block heater that I have used. I find using the Aqua-hot for an hour to a couple of hours the engine will start no problem. I have only used the ether once at home. Turned the engine over, it didn't start,...

Reply #15
Running the block heater for an hour with the thermostat housing "block heater" does nothing in cold weather on a 6V-92TA. Detroit owners need to move the heater to the correct location or install a remote heater like some have done. For years,...

Reply #16
Two quick stories on fuel lines and ether. I replaced all my fuel lines 2 years ago with minimal difficulty. I had to empty the fuel tank in order to slide it out and remove the fuel lines. One thing to note is the plug on the bottom of the tank...

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
After  changing the lines on coach I too had problems getting fuel to feed thru the main line and after messing around filling the filters couple of times I pulled the tank again and found the main line was kinked so after straightening  that and...

Reply #18
You don't have to go to the glow position on the generator to get the electric pump to run. Just a small jumper from a 12V battery will make the pump run and easily bring fuel from the tank. It really helps to open the valve on the return line to...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
I would not use ether on a glow plug engine unless I had disconnected the glow plugs. If you use ether the ether will hit the glow
plugs and fire before top dead center. Just google ( using ether on a glow plug engine) you will get your answer.

• bigdog
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #20
Well, it's the end of our sixth day at OMC.
So, they have been unable to clear the air from the fuel lines. After SIX HOURS of labor @ $125/hr trying to purge the lines. They come and tell me that for some reason someone in the past removed the...

• rbark
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #21
WOW! Like them Texans say, "that ain't rite"

Reply #22
I had mixed results at OMC..... lots of $$$ spent on leveling system that MOT fixed in under two hours....

but had some good service there too....

Reply #23
WTF over is right. After 20 minutes you'd think they would check to see if fuel was being delivered to the filters, at some point you have to start "cracking" lines to see where the fuel isn't, and go from there.

Reply #24
WTF