Skip to main content
Topic: '98 not maintaining level (split from Re: Air Pressure down to 2psi overnight) (Read 506 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Air Pressure down to ...

'98 not maintaining level (split from Re: Air Pressure down to 2psi overnight)

So I think i am on the right subject forum for this question but please advise if not..

My coach is now parked for winter and on chargers etc etc.  I dumped the air and re leveed at first when I parked the unit but after about 2 weeks I noted the wheels were up against the bottom of the coach ( the coach is on a very level area) so I started the coach and re leveled. Now after about 3 weeks I noticed the same thing. It is basically around 19 degrees F out so I hesitate to re start the engine all the time and prefer just to leave it until spring (yes...I exercise the generator once a month..)

My question is..  Is this natural or come spring do I have to now worry about a leak that may be evident or is this ok?  During the summer when in use I did not have a concern with air leakage..
PETER
Peter    Alberta Canada
'98 U320 40'  Build 5359 M11 450 HP, Aqua hot, Blu Ox

Re: '98 not maintaining level (split from Re: Air Pressure down to 2psi overnight)

Reply #1
Does your aux compressor function?  When the main engine isn't running, the aux compressor's job is to maintain level.  The coach will ultimately sink down to the stops over time if it isn't running, since the way the leveling system works is to first lower the high spots and if it can't achieve level by lowering the high, it THEN runs the aux compressor to raise the low spots.

(this assumes you have left the HWH control active to monitor leveling and have not shut it off)
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Re: '98 not maintaining level (split from Re: Air Pressure down to 2psi overnight)

Reply #2
Hmmm. I was told to level and then shut it off. I am going to presume that is the issue
Peter    Alberta Canada

Reply #3
Hmmm. I was told to level and then shut it off. I am going to presume that is the issue
Peter    Alberta Canada

Reply #4

It really depends on how long it takes to drop down.  When I first got my coach, it would hold air for a couple of weeks before it dropped out of level.  Over the next few years that time dropped to a week or less.

I rebuilt my "six-pack", the manifold that sends air to the bags.  For a a couple years after my airbags held pressure and level for a month or more with out any added air.  The last six months the airbags will drop a little in 3-4 weeks. 

I almost always use manual leveling of the bags (push the button only once rather than twice) so it doesn't try to auto level until I start back up. 

If you are turning your HWH system off after leveling the coach you may have worn O-rings in the manifold.  There are some "rebuild" kits sold by a member here. 
1998 U320 40'
2005 GMC Yukon
MC# 17609

Reply #5
Thanks for the advice
I was just told for winter storage to just level and shut the hwh off. Maybe I will leave it on and see what happens
Peter    Alberta Canada

Reply #6
Thanks for the advice
I was just told for winter storage to just level and shut the hwh off. Maybe I will leave it on and see what happens

That assumes you are connected to shore power to continue to provide power to the auxiliary air pump as it cycles.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #7
Yes I am connected to 15 amp shore power.
Peter    Alberta Canada

Reply #8
Our coach stays level for months on end and I have never put the HWH into auto level mode. I did change the 6 packs out about 4 yrs ago with the kits but did not have any issues before, it was mainly for maintenance as I had the pit.
The rear tank stays over 100 for many weeks and the front tank drops to around 30 after a couple of weeks so am leaving them alone.
Maybe I just jinxed myself by posting this.
JohnH
Coachless, now use aircraft.
1994 Ford E350 ClassC,total renovation inside and out. Now sold.
2000 U295  36' Cummins 350 c/w Banks Stinger, Resonator upgrade,Solar, LED lites.Residential fridge with slide out pantry. Build 5674. Sold
ex 92 GV 022C ored Cummins. Sold
ex 95 GV240 cat 3116. Sold
2017 Mini cooper s & 2016 land Rover LR2 HSE  LUX.
jhaygarth@aol.com    SKP #130098
treat everyone as you would like to be.

Reply #9
There is nothing wrong with letting the coach sit on the tires during storage.  It was designed that way.
Regards,
Brett

'99 42' Foretravel Xtreme
'14 Brown Motorsports Stacker
'05 Chevy SSR
'02 BMW R1150R