Skip to main content
Topic: Winter storage and crack in windshield (Read 558 times) previous topic - next topic

Winter storage and crack in windshield

The good news is that the coach is safe in our hangar and ready to be worked on with upgrades I want to do (airbags, roof solar, safe-T-plus ) 
The bad news is that there is a long crack in the right front windshield, I assume repair will not be cheap.

So, can a local  automotive glass repair shop order a windshield and put it in or do I need to postpone it until I go to Texas in early spring?

Regards

Klaus
The world is not interested in the storms you encountered, but whether or not you brought in the ship.
Raul Armesto

2003 U 320 4020 Unit 6145

Re: Winter storage and crack in windshield

Reply #1
Klaus,

Just get quotes from local glass shops.  They will come to you to install.  The coach should not be moved after install for 24 hours for everything to set up. I would inspect the gasket very closely to make sure it's still usable.  It usually is.  Also look to see why it cracked.  Impact or tight install?

Keith.
Keith, Joyce & Smokey the Australian Cattle Dog
1995 U320 SE Extreme 40' WTBI Build # 4780, with a Honda CR-V hopefully still following behind.
Motorcade # 17030
FMCA # F422159

Reply #2
Crack originated at impact area

Regards

Klaus
The world is not interested in the storms you encountered, but whether or not you brought in the ship.
Raul Armesto

Reply #3
Klaus,

Just get quotes from local glass shops.  They will come to you to install.  The coach should not be moved after install for 24 hours for everything to set up. I would inspect the gasket very closely to make sure it's still usable.  It usually is.  Also look to see why it cracked.  Impact or tight install?

Keith.
The latest windshield glues set in an hour. Since the windshield is now part of the structure of the car, the windshields installation companies have been sued for glass coming loose in an accident right after they were installed, the glue companies have come up with a faster set. High pressure wash is not recommended for at least 24 hours. Good to ask the shop what the set time is on the glue.

We don't glue ours, just let it move around as it wants. I'm worried about cracking. It's original and has never cracked (fingers crossed). Our driveway changes camber and the side roads are at a much different angle so the front of the coach is at a much different angle than the rear.  The coach creeks and snaps loudly as it twists so I creep making the transitions.

Quote:
This depends on the type of adhesive used to seal the the auto glass into its moulding. The adhesive needs time to completely dry, which will depend on the temperature and humidity around it. Most will only take an hour at most to completely dry, but some take up to 24 hours. At Wizard Auto Glass, you will be able to drive your car again the same day you bring it in. As soon as we return it to you it is good to drive again.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #4
I suggest you check with the insurance company that has the policy on your coach. That policy might cover your damaged windshield. My policy has covered  2 cracked windshields.
2014 Honda CRV
Washington, Vermont
Lady Lake, Fl,  Independence, VA
Former owner of 2002 U320, 2003 U320, 2005 U270

Reply #5
Klaus, you may or may not be successful in finding someone to work on your windshield. On our way north to Wyoming from New Mexico the Colorado roads knocked our windshields out of the gasket. We didn't lose either one, but I got a nice shower when we went through the Blue Beacon in Cheyenne. I tried a shop here in Riverton that fixed the windshield on a Foretravel very similar to ours, and they wanted no part of it. I tried and the insurance company tried, but the best we could come up with was a Safelight shop near Denver. A Safelight shop did manage to get the windshields back in the gaskets, but since they weren't authorized to do that work, they wouldn't take any money, so we sent them a Wal-Mart gift card and suggested that they get donuts for their entire shop.

When we get down to Nac in June we'll have the windshields properly reset.

Reply #6
Just had mine replaced. I called my RV dealer for a recommendation. You need one that's experienced with these monsters. My insurance paid 100 % under comp. $1800 for passenger side
1996 U295-36, Cummins 300hp, 8.3. Build number 4864. Vin number 1F97D536XTNO54271. Purchased October 31, 2019.

Reply #7
I got a chip on my glass and Safelite came out for the repair. Tech said they replace the entire windshield also.
Check with your insurance as stated previously.
Frank & Daisy
NO LONGER  "looking for the perfect Foretravel
36' or less non slide preferred."  She has been found and is ours.
2003 U320 36' non slide  Unit 6103
Cummins ISM 450
Allison 4000MH

Reply #8
I looked up my insurance policy and to my surprise my windshield deductible is 0 dollars.

Clean living rewarded.

Regards

Klaus
Raul Armesto

Reply #9
When FT replaced my windshield in September they cautioned me not to drive it for 24 hours.
Regards,
Brett

'99 42' Foretravel Xtreme
'14 Brown Motorsports Stacker
'05 Chevy SSR
'02 BMW R1150R