Skip to main content
Topic: Electrical Questions (Read 454 times) previous topic - next topic

Electrical Questions

I have two electrical questions, inquiring if I might get some opinions?

Question #1: I started noting an odd condition with my exterior porch light.  At several camp grounds this years our neighbors would comment, "hey your outside light randomly comes on and then off once its dark out"... I started monitoring every now and then... Found that when the water pump is turned on, (can hear the relay and pump) the light comes on! A short time later it shuts off!  Noticed this was suspiciously close to the timer of the Grab Handle time-out.  Is this an over sensitive or defective Grab Handle electronics? I also converted the fluorescent tubes to LED strips in the Porch lamp, any bearing on the problem?   

Question #2 I've found that I need to implement an "ignition sense" to turn on/off my Sterling 60A B2B charger that I've located at the foot of the bed. I'm looking for a convenient place where I can find/tap a "wire" with +12V  when the ignition switch is turned on, (engine running) and of course drops to zero with engine off.  Any ideas on a place to grab such a line that's back in the engine bay?  The sterling just needs >4V to turn on.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jeff
Jeff & Kristen
2002 U320 build #6039
Living the Dream!

Re: Electrical Questions

Reply #1
The air condenser fan relay is ignition supplied. It is on the firewall near the isolator.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #2
Check for moisture in the base if the door handle.

Wire your Sterling B2B charger to be turned on with any 12v source that comes on with ignition.  Be sure to add an on/off switch so that you can prevent it from coming on if you don't want it to come on.  You might be working on your coach.  More often your batteries will be fully or nearly fully charged when you leave and solar will be sufficient to keep them fully charged while you drive. 

I also added an adjustable delay timer so that the B2B charger does not come on for several minutes, gives me time to do tow vehicle light checks, start the coach and be ready to go before the B2B starts up.

This one is WiFi enabled and can be set using your phone.
Buy Multi Functional Timers online | Timers.shop

Reply #3
The air condenser fan relay is ignition supplied. It is on the firewall near the isolator.

Aaaha, yes! Ever closer than the epiphany I had this afternoon when I was changing the engine oil and staring me in the face, as I added oil was the Remote Engine Start buttons !

I'll try that tomorrow morning.

Thanks!
Jeff & Kristen
2002 U320 build #6039
Living the Dream!

Reply #4

Wire your Sterling B2B charger to be turned on with any 12v source that comes on with ignition.  Be sure to add an on/off switch so that you can prevent it from coming on if you don't want it to come on.  You might be working on your coach.  More often your batteries will be fully or nearly fully charged when you leave and solar will be sufficient to keep them fully charged while you drive. 

I also added an adjustable delay timer so that the B2B charger does not come on for several minutes, gives me time to do tow vehicle light checks, start the coach and be ready to go before the B2B starts up.

This one is WiFi enabled and can be set using your phone.
Buy Multi Functional Timers online | Timers.shop

Thanks Roger! Great idea about the switch, I did add that in. The new WIFI enabled timer is an interesting addition, will look at that tonight. Sounds very interesting, amazing how this "stuff" just keeps getting better! A delay is very beneficial when trying to get the slide in as the air builds up.

Thank you!

Jeff & Kristen
2002 U320 build #6039
Living the Dream!