Skip to main content
Topic: My radiator leak history  (Read 349 times) previous topic - next topic

My radiator leak history

Good morning to all,
About a year ago a noticed a drip from one of the nuts on the radiator that faces the back of the coach. It would stop after the coach warmed up and before we would hit the road. I tried to tighten the nut but think it was pretty tight. I put some Bar's stop leak and there was no more leak.

A couple of months ago I noticed one of my coolant hoses had collapsed and I changed the pressure cap as suggested by the forum. I had also noticed that when the engine was hot the level of fluid in the expansion tank was not rising. My original cap was completely round and when I removed it I noticed some gunk in the cap.
 I removed the expansion tank and also found some gunk at the bottom of the tank which had clogged the outlet. Everything was cleaned and reassembled.
The new cap from Napa had six sides and was difficult to put on because it was cutting into the hose that goes to the expansion tank.

Two days ago I installed a cap from Stant which was round with 4 nubs which worked much better. I also changed the hose that goes from the radiator to the expansion tank which was hard and had a couple of cracks near the cap end.
I took the coach out for a 50 mile trip and had no leaks and the expansion tank level had risen.

Yesterday morning it dropped down to about 46 degrees.I started the coach and and ran it for 20 minutes before I left. Engine temps were about 160 when I pulled out. I only needed to drive it about 1/2 mile to the storage facility and when I got out of the coach to open the gate I noticed it was leaking again from the radiator. When I pulled into the bay it was leaking from both sides of the radiator facing front and rear.

Didn't have the time to investigate further. Put some rags down and left.
Will be back at the coach next week, hopefully.

Any thoughts or suggestions.
Frank & Daisy
NO LONGER  "looking for the perfect Foretravel
36' or less non slide preferred."  She has been found and is ours.
2003 U320 36' non slide  Unit 6103
Cummins ISM 450
Allison 4000MH

Re: My radiator leak history

Reply #1
What is the PSI of the new cap?
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #2
What level did you fill your overflow tank to? Cold it should be no more than a third full. Brett is spot on with cap pressure requirements. How full was your tank once you reached your storage?
Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
If you're going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
DEGOIWKY
Don't ever get old, it will kill you
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #3
Brett
Its a 15 PSI cap
Stant 10294

Scott
I filled to the cold line with engine cold.
Did not look at tank when it was leaking b/c I didn't think engine was hot enough at 160
Frank & Daisy
NO LONGER  "looking for the perfect Foretravel
36' or less non slide preferred."  She has been found and is ours.
2003 U320 36' non slide  Unit 6103
Cummins ISM 450
Allison 4000MH