Skip to main content
Topic: Why buy an used Foretravel over Monaco, need help in this discussion. (Read 3814 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Why buy an used Foretravel over Monaco, need help in this discussion.

Reply #50
Interesting about slides. I personally don't understand why someone wants a 45-ft coach with four slides but then that's me. Just not something I want.
Had a monarch move his coach the other day from Oceanside to higher up in the RV Park and he moved it without pulling in his rear slide. Now I don't know if he knew that or not but I thought you couldn't drive a coach with the slide out I guess he removed the interlocks. You know those safety interlocks that keep something really bad and expensive from happening when the owner does it dodo move like that.
The other thing I think I know is that people that own 45 ft motorhomes with four slides usually don't care about forums like these because then they take it to professionals and pay a lot of money to get things worked on. That's why a lot of us don't have newer models. Even if we could afford them and I'm sure some of us could we prefer to not have them so we can do our  maintenance and our own work. I have a no slide coach and I really like it although I can understand that if I had a woman with me she would prefer more space. I've been in coaches with slides and I do like the extra space but then I think about the loss of storage hitting my head on those slides trying to access the bays underneath them and a host of other real and pretend issues in my brain. The other thing too is if you go on a foretravel forum expecting to hear anything other than Foretravel are the best then maybe you're barking up the wrong tree. If I go to a newel forum I would expect them to say their coach is the best same with country Coach and prevost. We all like what we have and what we spend money on. It was interesting hearing from you guys that have had multiple different types of coaches wound up with four travels and are totally happy with them. This is my first and probably my last motorhome.
I saw a video the other day of a woman that's sleeping in her Jeep. Then there's the van group. The scamps. The air streams. All the way up to 45 ft and four slides.
No telling what somebody will wind up with. Then I saw an Instagram today somebody who has a sailboat is selling it because guess what bad weather can just come up at any time LOL like they didn't know that before they bought the sailboat? That's like saying I'm going to sell my motorhome because the price of fuel is going up.. you bought a motorhome and you didn't realize that the price of fuel changes constantly?
My personal feeling is that unless you have a lot of money that you don't care about owning a motorhome like these is justifiable if you spend a lot of time on them and in them like full timing or at least part of the year. Otherwise it's just a hood ornament sitting in your driveway or worse, sitting in a storage lot.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #51
No one has talked about moving around in the coach with the slides in. 

In mine I can go from the very front  to the rear with out  having to climb over something.

Only thing I have to open a slide for is to get to the  washer  dryer. Not sure if that is the same for all FT
2014 ih45  (4th Foretravel owned)
 1997 36' U295 Sold in 2020, owned for 19 years
  U240 36' Sold to insurance company after melting in garage fire
    33' Foretravel on Dodge Chassis  Sold very long time ago

Reply #52
I have never wanted a slide. I prefer the extra storage space in the no slide. Also when I stop for a short time everything is usable.
Peter and Frieda Morin
1999 36ft. U320 Foretravel
Build # 5436
1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport

Reply #53
ISX are not the only ones. I met a member my first time in Q that had just replaced his 8.3. 8.3 cummins with dropped valves - Google Search
Pierce

Sounds like the vast majority of these instances involved heavily modded engines. 

"Not so  long ago we were a nation of risk takers, riding five million pounds of  thrust straight into space."  Joe Gresh
Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS

Reply #54
When we were searching for our next home, there was some discussion on slides.
I do most of the maintenance . . .

Now for me, Lynn said "We give up one half the cedar wardrobe for the washer dryer."  Cedar Wardrobe?

Two years in, I find myself repairing water damage in the roof, and very happy to see that aluminum tube framing with the blue foam insulation.  There was a factory oopsie when the skylight was originally installed, I didn't catch when I resealed the skylight two years ago.  Full time living took its toll.
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #55
you bought a motorhome and you didn't realize that the price of fuel changes constantly?

I hope it isn't!
I just thought all this time the value of my money was going down.
I'm so confused
Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
If you're going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
DEGOIWKY
Don't ever get old, it will kill you
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #56
Looks like you answered your own question with your last sentence,we chose quality over quantity you choose quantity over quality.

I choose value over all else.  If you prefer quality over quantity, then don't buy a Foretravel.  Choose Newell or Prevost.
2006 Monaco Signature Commander IV 45' ISX 525hp

Reply #57
It sounds like you evaluate coaches based primarily on the number of slides:  more slides equals more desirable.  I believe you should stick with Monaco.

I do desire more slides because I'm going with my two kids.  The extra space is needed while camping.  The amount of slides doesn't change the basis of my post.  You'll get a better coach with Foretravel, but pay quite a bit more.

Reply #58
Curious - this was a bump of a 5 month old topic as the member's first post on the forum...

I've been interested in buying a Foretravel for a couple years.  Wanted to see what peoples thoughts were compared to Monaco, and I got my answer thank you.

Reply #59
I've been interested in buying a Foretravel for a couple years.  Wanted to see what peoples thoughts were compared to Monaco, and I got my answer thank you.

But you already stated you preferred Monaco and you had already purchased one and simply posted to inform the group you had done so in a 5 month old thread that wasn't yours. 

You weren't asking for member's thoughts (unless of course you are simply trolling the group...)
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #60
But you already stated you preferred Monaco and you had already purchased one and simply posted to inform the group you had done so in a 5 month old thread that wasn't yours. 

You weren't asking for member's thoughts (unless of course you are simply trolling the group...)

Thank you.  Have a nice day.

Reply #61
No one has talked about moving around in the coach with the slides in. 

In mine I can go from the very front  to the rear with out  having to climb over something.

Only thing I have to open a slide for is to get to the  washer  dryer. Not sure if that is the same for all FT

This is a requirement on my next Foretravel.  Which model do you have?

Reply #62
Obviously trolling.
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains