Skip to main content

Topic: Extracting sheared slide glide stop bolts? (Read 588 times) previous topic - next topic

Extracting sheared slide glide stop bolts?
Our 03' 38ft u320 has a bedroom slide, with the bed itself on the slide.  The other night we were asleep and were awoken with a LOUD bang, that shook the whole bed.  Wife thought a coconut had landed on our roof, but that was impossible and we...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Extracting sheared slide glide stop bolts?
Reply #1
Try an easy out first then if that doesn't work weld a flat washer larger than the bolt then weld a nut to the washer.

Reply #2
Best practices are first to ping with a center punch, then drill a hole with a small left hand bit with your drill on reverse, this will help with loosening.  Then larger bit so you can get an EZ out in it.  Spraying wit PB Blaster or other...

Reply #3
Thanks guys, I have ordered the above mentioned tools and will let you know how it goes when everything arrives.

We are also in contact with HWH on the bolt replacement/specs.

Reply #4
The left hand git is the cats meow for removing bolts that aren't  galled
Chris

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Take your time. Figure were the center of the bolt is pilot hole and quality extractor. Left hand drill bits are really nice. Generally on second size larger bit it pulls the bolt out. Slow speed and cutting oil always good practice in steel. I'm...

Reply #6
Take your time. Figure were the center of the bolt is pilot hole and quality extractor. Left hand drill bits are really nice. Generally on second size larger bit it pulls the bolt out. Slow speed...

Reply #7
Ours weren't very tight.  Seems like my son-in-law cut a groove with a dremmel  and backed them out with a flat blade screwdriver. 

Those need changed annually I guess. 

Reply #8
It's appropriate that help and advise be given to remove the broken bolts. But what is causing the bolts to shear like that. There must be some force or pressure that is exerted on the bolts to cause them to shear. Would it be the material they...

Reply #9
Just read an interesting tip for extracting a broken bolt if it has loctite on it.  After you drill the hole insert a soldering iron tip in the hole in the bolt and after an hour or two pull it out and immediately apply beeswax to the hot bolt. ...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
I knew about heat in fact if green locktite has been used that's the only way to get a good bolt out. Beeswax is new to me and
heating the ezy put makes sense.

Reply #11
New bolts are in and everything appears to be working fine.  The extraction went well, just as some suggested, it backed out with the reverse threaded drill bits.  Didn't even need the Ez out.

BTW the bolts were 3/8-16X1.750 (grade 8), purchased...

Reply #12
It's appropriate that help and advise be given to remove the broken bolts. But what is causing the bolts to shear like that. There must be some force or pressure that is exerted on the...

Reply #13
I just had the same issue. Bedroom slide stop bolts sheared. However mine sheared as I was extending the slide causing some damage to the cabinetry surrounding the bed. Luckily I was able to stop it before to much damage.

The bolt were easily...

Reply #14
Thank you for sharing your experience and explaining how it all works.  This may very well help others on this forum. 

Richard

Reply #15
JNeel explained it very well . The 3000PSI switch can and will fail so the pump will not shut off . You will not get your normal light off. So we have put replacing the bolts on the bracket as a normal wear item on our list to change out , just...

Reply #16
Depending upon how much pressure is actually required to get the job done, including operating the LR slide, it might be possible to replace the pressure switch with one of a lower rating, (2000, 2500 PSI?) This would reduce the load on all...