Skip to main content

Topic: Step cover stopped working 97 U295 (Read 462 times) previous topic - next topic

Step cover stopped working 97 U295
So, the power, step cover stopped working all of the sudden.  It was stuck open, and I was able to push it open.  When you push the switch/button, you can hear it click, but it won't operate. I Tried pulling the cover open, and the pneumatic...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Step cover stopped working 97 U295
Reply #1
This is operated by an air powered 2 way cylinder.  The air is routed through a pressure regulator and a Norgren air valve that switches air from one way to the other when you actuate the switch.

Search for norgren.  It is a common problem.  It...

Reply #2
If the Norgren solenoid is a suspect, check for a broken ground wire.  The ground wire is often not properly supported and will eventually break off due to vibration.

Reply #3
It appeared that the step offers some resistance in or out when the switch is activated one way or the other which makes me think the pressure regulator might be first in line to check.  All parts are suspect though.

Reply #4
It appeared that the step offers some resistance in or out when the switch is activated one way or the other which makes me think the pressure regulator might be first in line...

Reply #5
Do you have air pressure on the gauges over 70 psi?

Reply #6
Speaking of step cover valves (Norgren)  Just called today and ordered 2 one for step cover and the other for door step.
I noticed the front air gauge was dropping rapidly when I turned engine off so I started looking for leak.  The doorstep valve...

Reply #7
Sorry, I had a lot going on and lost track of this post.  Since the step has not been a priority, we have just gone without the function.  But now, I'd like to get back and figure out what the issue is. 

So, as it stands now, the cover will come...

Reply #8
Bruce,

Read back through the previous comments - you have been given the answer to your question.

Like Roger said, you need 3 components to operate the step:  pressure regulator, Norgren valve & air cylinders.

In your case, the step (cover) will...

Reply #9
Sorry, I had a lot going on and lost track of this post.  Since the step has not been a priority, we have just gone without the function.  But now, I'd like to get back and figure out what...

Reply #10
We took the Norgren valve apart and found it simple inside. Cleaned parts and put it back and it has worked fine for several years. Why not try to clean, and if fails nothing lost. Also clean Norgren exhaust port covers because if air cannot...

Reply #11
So here's more detail that Barry and Cindy are referring to.  Credit to Chuck and Jeannie for the photos.

I would pull the whole regulator/valve combo out to so you do at a bench: 
- 3 hose connections, (mark them so you can put them back right)

Reply #12
I forgot to mention:
Setting the pressure determines the force in the cylinders.  It actually takes little force to move the step so you want this minimized.  If somehow you got your hand trapped you would want this force to be light.  Mine is set...

Reply #13
  Out is faster, in is slower.  Note that the speed control is on the air that exits the cylinder, not on the incoming air.  This makes for smoother operation and is more independent of...