Skip to main content
Topic: Step cover stopped working 97 U295 (Read 746 times) previous topic - next topic

Step cover stopped working 97 U295

So, the power, step cover stopped working all of the sudden.  It was stuck open, and I was able to push it open.  When you push the switch/button, you can hear it click, but it won't operate. I Tried pulling the cover open, and the pneumatic force would pull it back.  If you pushed the switch the force/direction reversed and you could then move it in the opposite direction.

I located one breaker in the bedroom, at the base of the bed but it had not tripped.  Any ideas?
Bruce & Jen Evans
Montgomery, TX
1997 U295 36'

Re: Step cover stopped working 97 U295

Reply #1
This is operated by an air powered 2 way cylinder.  The air is routed through a pressure regulator and a Norgren air valve that switches air from one way to the other when you actuate the switch.

Search for norgren.  It is a common problem.  It could be the pressure regulator or the norgren valve or the cylinder. Most likely in that order. Air is supplied from one of your service tanks.

Reply #2
If the Norgren solenoid is a suspect, check for a broken ground wire.  The ground wire is often not properly supported and will eventually break off due to vibration.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #3
It appeared that the step offers some resistance in or out when the switch is activated one way or the other which makes me think the pressure regulator might be first in line to check.  All parts are suspect though.

Reply #4
It appeared that the step offers some resistance in or out when the switch is activated one way or the other which makes me think the pressure regulator might be first in line to check.  All parts are suspect though.
If I understand this correctly.  The cover will move, but you just have to give it assistance to open or close.  If this is the case I agree with Roger that the regulator could be not giving the cylinder enough pressure to move the cover.  The other problem is could something been on the cover when you last closed it and now it is causing the cover to drag going in or out.
2014 ih45  (4th Foretravel owned)
 1997 36' U295 Sold in 2020, owned for 19 years
  U240 36' Sold to insurance company after melting in garage fire
    33' Foretravel on Dodge Chassis  Sold very long time ago

Reply #5
Do you have air pressure on the gauges over 70 psi?

Reply #6
Speaking of step cover valves (Norgren)  Just called today and ordered 2 one for step cover and the other for door step.
I noticed the front air gauge was dropping rapidly when I turned engine off so I started looking for leak.  The doorstep valve was leaking through one of the exhaust ports and valve would not switch properly.  I ordered a PND P2LBX592ESNDDG47
from Aberdeen Dynamics to the tune go 68.90 plus tax and shipping.  I'm sure there are other valves that are cheaper but I'm trying to get ready to head for Arizona and didn't want to spend a week looking.
Chris
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR

Reply #7
Sorry, I had a lot going on and lost track of this post.  Since the step has not been a priority, we have just gone without the function.  But now, I'd like to get back and figure out what the issue is. 

So, as it stands now, the cover will come out (open) when the button is activated, but, it will not withdraw the step (close). You cannot push the step close, unless you push the button to close, and then you can manually push the cover back in.  So, it's holding pressure, when open, just not actuating the cover to close on it's own. 

I hope this makes sense.
Bruce & Jen Evans
Montgomery, TX
1997 U295 36'

Reply #8
Bruce,

Read back through the previous comments - you have been given the answer to your question.

Like Roger said, you need 3 components to operate the step:  pressure regulator, Norgren valve & air cylinders.

In your case, the step (cover) will extend, but it will not retract.  You feel resistance when you try to move the step in or out by hand.  This indicates that you have sufficient air pressure, and that the air cylinders are moving (one way or the other) when pressure is applied.  So what is missing in action?  Answer:  the Norgren valve.

The Norgren valve has a sliding part inside that must move back and forth to direct air pressure to the proper air cylinders.  If it gets plugged up inside with junk, it may stick in one position.  Or, the part may move internally but one or more air ports are plugged up so pressure does not get where it is supposed to go. 

Most likely solution to your problem:  replace the Norgren valve.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #9
Sorry, I had a lot going on and lost track of this post.  Since the step has not been a priority, we have just gone without the function.  But now, I'd like to get back and figure out what the issue is. 

Had you looked at all the answers already posted or did those not solve the problem?
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #10
We took the Norgren valve apart and found it simple inside. Cleaned parts and put it back and it has worked fine for several years. Why not try to clean, and if fails nothing lost. Also clean Norgren exhaust port covers because if air cannot exhaust, the cylinder will not fill from the other direction.

Reply #11
So here's more detail that Barry and Cindy are referring to.  Credit to Chuck and Jeannie for the photos.

I would pull the whole regulator/valve combo out to so you do at a bench: 
- 3 hose connections, (mark them so you can put them back right)
- unscrew cap on coil and remove coil from valve, leaving wiring intact.
- unfasten screws that hold it to coach

There can be some pretty small parts and gaskets to the valve so having them on a bench on a clean towel is good idea.
After cleaning, reassemble the spool with grease.
John Fitzgerald
1991 U300 (SAI) Side Aisle Island Bed 40'
Detroit 6V92 with Allison Retarder
Meridian (Boise), Idaho

Reply #12
I forgot to mention:
Setting the pressure determines the force in the cylinders.  It actually takes little force to move the step so you want this minimized.  If somehow you got your hand trapped you would want this force to be light.  Mine is set a 40 psi.  The air valve actually needs a minimum force before it will work (I think about 30 psi).

Use the speed controls to slow down the motion of the step and prevent banging up and down.  These are just screws with a lock nut.  Out is faster, in is slower.  Note that the speed control is on the air that exits the cylinder, not on the incoming air.  This makes for smoother operation and is more independent of cylinder friction which will naturally change with time and temperature.
John Fitzgerald
1991 U300 (SAI) Side Aisle Island Bed 40'
Detroit 6V92 with Allison Retarder
Meridian (Boise), Idaho

Reply #13
  Out is faster, in is slower.  Note that the speed control is on the air that exits the cylinder, not on the incoming air.  This makes for smoother operation and is more independent of cylinder friction which will naturally change with time and temperature.

When you have a cylinder the rod will will have more force moving out then when you are retracting it.  The surface area of the cylinder boar is used when extending the rod.  The cylinder boar minus the rod area is the area when retracting the rod.  Less area, less force with all other being the same.

In looking at the picture of the valve it has where you can make an adjustment for going in and out.  I have not tried this yet, but it looks like you can set this where it is slow going out and going in.  Right now mine slams going out (if you keep your finger on the button), but is very slow and steady going in. (mine you have to press down and hold a side of the switch to get the cover to move in or out, not like my old coach where you just changed the direction of the swtich to make the cover open or close )

Might try some dry silicone and see if that makes the move in and out slide easier.
2014 ih45  (4th Foretravel owned)
 1997 36' U295 Sold in 2020, owned for 19 years
  U240 36' Sold to insurance company after melting in garage fire
    33' Foretravel on Dodge Chassis  Sold very long time ago